Midges & Mosquitos - problem? What works?

Tractorpilot

Reaction score
Having just returned from the Gathering of The Clans in Scotland (great meet - well done Ronno et al), I was forcibly reminded what a complete pain the local insect life can be:spitfire . With trips to North Cape planned for the second half of July followed by a trip to the Isle of Skye in August I want to be better prepared to combat the local wildlife!:mcgun

So...

1) Are mosquitoes/midges likely to be a major problem at the times and places stated above?

2) What works to keep them away?

Thanks
Neil

Hi Neil

Lippy and I find Autan works but if using the spray version
keep it well away from tents as it dissolves the water proofing
it's what we used at the Gathering of the clans.
Check out there web site.

WWW.Autan.co.uk

I used it for years and always found it very effective hope this
Is of some help.

Ian and Lippy:type :type

Use high-strength DEET but make sure that it doesn't get anywhere near plastic items.

Greg

I was camping at Glencoe last weekend where the midge problem was particularly bad. I saw several people wearing wide brimmed hats with mosquito netting and latex gloves!

I opened my visor for a split second at the camp site entrance and before I knew it the little bastards had tattooed "free meal" in braille across my forehead.

Avon Skin So Soft didn't work for me. I have the scars to prove it.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the little B***ers don't like people with an excess of one of the Vitamin B's.

Try using google - you may find something useful

whatever you try - let us know if it works.

Cheers

Dave#...

DEET

DEET worked for us, it was like having a force field around us, just be careful how and where you use/leave it. (It removes paint).

Dave & Val :blast

Thanks all

Got some stuff with DEET in it (not sure what %) Will try and get some Autan too.

Thanks for the advice

So can anyone give me any idea what the midge/mossie levels are like in Norway in July? I have looked on the web but most of the info seems along the lines of - well it can be a problem but it depends...

Neil

Personal Insect Repelents

Here in Oz, we certainly, in many areas, have mosquitos and midge problems in summer especially if rains occur. Some areas, year round.

There are a couple of products available (RID and Aerogard) that are particularly effective. However the best of these are their tropical strength preparations containing 19% DEET. As such any product containing this type of level would be adequate.

There are some possible health issues with using high strength DEET (80%+) particularly for small children and pregnant woman.

Ideally the use of DEET on bare skin should be minimised, placing it around sleeve ends, collars, hat brims etc. and is usually just as effective.

I bought some 100% DEET last week and commented to the shop that the amaericans are amazed we can get hold of 100%.
'Tis true you need to keep it from plastic - I had my hand print on the black BM panniers of my RT!

The shop said they had opened one box to find the DEET had eaten throught the plastic bottle :eek:

Effective but-----------

Or your eyes :eek

Carefull how you use it if you or anyone within a half mile radius suffers from asthma, it will create total pandimonium, I know by bitter experience, also be prepared for the stench, most preparations using Deet will make you smell like you jumped in a vat of aviation fuel.

Don't worry about it!

I've spent nearly six weeks over two holidays [end July - beginning Aug] in Norway getting as far north as the Lofoten Islands. Neither of us got bitten once.

In fact, I didn't see one midge and only one mosquito - which I squidged - so there's prolly none left now anyways.

Undoubtedly DEET compounds are the best and are recommended in Malaria zones accordingly...... but DEET is not without controversy.

My garden is plagued by mosquitos and I think that it is because my neighbours have wildlife ponds which are lacking fish

After reading tips on this learned site I was skeptical, but ordered Avon's Skin So Soft and use it whenever I do gardening now... and IT WORKS. I do not think that I have suffered a mosquito bite since using it--- and it smells pleasant as well.
:D

Make sure you get the dry oil body spray, not the "skin so soft" body lotion.

Midges are attracted by your pheromones but aren't that fond of vit B being exuded from your pores, so eat loads of Marmite.

If that doesn't work, smear it on your skin to trap the little blighters:mad:

Back
Top Bottom