PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading City Nav from v8 to 9 - HELP

roger06
06-07-07, 18:14
Hi guys - please help.

I have had a Garmin Quest for 2 years, and upgraded no probs from V6 to V8.

The unit is registered and I have a My Garmin account.

I've been sent a V9 disk and am trying to get a code. When I follow the instructions and go to my account on the My Garmin site and click MapSource Unlock and Add code - the instructions with the V9 disk tell me to enter the code for the original Map Source software.

When I do this it states:

The Code you entered has already been associated with a myGarmin account. Please check the code and try again.

This is driving me mad and of course, there's no after hours support at Garmin.

Please help as I had no trouble upgrading from V6 to V8. How am I supposed to activate V9?????:nenau

Thanks

John Armstrong
06-07-07, 18:24
Have you tried to download the maps inspite of the warning?

roger06
06-07-07, 18:29
Have you tried to download the maps inspite of the warning?

Oh yes! I now have entries for version 6,8 and 9 in MapSource - but when I select V9 the map selection tool is inactive...

John Armstrong
06-07-07, 18:36
In Mapsource try looking in "Utilities" and select "unlock maps"

Click the first "next"

Then select "view my installed unlock codes" second from bottom on mine.

Is the v9 in there? Not all of my unlocks have comments btw.

roger06
06-07-07, 21:43
In Mapsource try looking in "Utilities" and select "unlock maps"

Click the first "next"

Then select "view my installed unlock codes" second from bottom on mine.

Is the v9 in there? Not all of my unlocks have comments btw.

It shows:

City Navigator Europe v8
European City Select v6

Think i'll just have to wait until Monday and phone Garmin - and tell them how crap their update procedure is!

chasr
06-07-07, 21:50
Think i'll just have to wait until Monday and phone Garmin - and tell them how crap their update procedure is!Or, you might be nice to them, and they'll talk you through it - as I did when updating to CN9. Nothing's perfect :(

roger06
06-07-07, 22:05
Or, you might be nice to them, and they'll talk you through it - as I did when updating to CN9. Nothing's perfect :(

Well I'll tell them how crap they are... politely!! I don't believe in being rude or getting personal with people doing their job - but it simply infuriates me when people you're trying to spend money with make it so damn difficult with sites that don't work and conflicting instructions.

I'm beginning to wonder whether it's even worth bothering. I had a free upgrade to v8 from the installed v6 and can't say I noticed any difference what so ever - so am not sure why I want to part with 50...:spitfire

... must go and calm down:blast

Steve
06-07-07, 22:25
I'm beginning to wonder whether it's even worth bothering. I had a free upgrade to v8 from the installed v6 and can't say I noticed any difference what so ever - so am not sure why I want to part with 50...:spitfire

... must go and calm down:blast

Unless you're going to Ireland or Spain, I'd wait for CN10

Timolgra
19-07-07, 13:01
Or, you might be nice to them, and they'll talk you through it - as I did when updating to CN9. Nothing's perfect :(

I've just spoken with someone, possibly based in Bangladesh:confused: , as I couldn't unlock my V9 which just arrived in the post, it seemed using my previous unlock codes was wrong and he gave me one for V9 over the phone.
All sorted and loading right now

judge
19-07-07, 13:58
I've just spoken with someone, possibly based in Bangladesh:confused: , as I couldn't unlock my V9 which just arrived in the post, it seemed using my previous unlock codes was wrong and he gave me one for V9 over the phone.
All sorted and loading right now

Should be done by about the time your ferry leaves in the morning :aidan

Timolgra
19-07-07, 14:22
Should be done by about the time your ferry leaves in the morning :aidan

Bloody tell me about it, I haven't even selected all the maps and it's not half way there yet:rolleyes: