Stumpy's gone Retro

Stumpy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I went for a run on my Z1000(55 model not the classic) on Saturday. I’ve had the bike as a wee toy for over a year now and its just not me. It’s a great bike in so many ways but it only seems to come alive above 7000rpm. Great for when I feel like being a hooligan and riding like a tw*t but TBH the days when I want to going over 100mph are getting less and less. Pottering around at 60-80 the Zed just feels under-used and a little characterless.

Now I had every intention in heading from Livingston down to Biggar across to Moffat and back home via St Mary’s Loch. However I find myself at Two Wheels Honda/Triumph dealer in Edinburgh just for a wee lookie

10mins later I’m out test riding a Triumph Scrambler 900 blue/white 1400 miles lots of extras. 60 mins later I’ve done the deal :augie including some Triumph straight though pipes. Now I know the Triumph has had mixed reviews on this site but I have always liked the look of it and more importantly its fun. Bags of character, pulls well, quite flickable for what it is. Sure it could do with a bit more go, better brakes and suspension but somehow that’s missing the point.

Pick it up a week today better mention it to SWMBO before then:augie

Now where’s me Belstaff:thumb

Stumpy

Nice looking bike, I had a test ride for a day last year and was tempted by it's looks:) :rose

Attachments

• on beach.JPG
    on beach.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 299
Nice one Stumpy :clap They sound brilliant with the louder pipes...Will Sir be indulging in the near future?...

Attachments

• Norman Hyde.JPG
    Norman Hyde.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 285
Nice one Stumpy :clap They sound brilliant with the louder pipes...Will Sir be indulging in the near future?

After a suitable period of time getting to know the bike I may well make a few sensible mods. I've found with my Honda FMX that it was strangled by modern emmission regs and the addition of a dynojet kit, exhaust and a K&N filter, while not earth shattering, made a noticable difference.

Stumpy

Followed a mate for a day through North Wales. He been lent one whilst his FJR was being serviced.

Reasonably quick, very flickable and sounded fantastic.

Good choice - enjoy!:thumb

Thet look sweet IMHO. :)

At least you stand out from the crowd as well :thumb

I like them, i thought the "Steve McQueen" special was a nice looking bike, the little extras making it look really cool:thumb

And at the price they look a proper bargain if you compare them to BWM's latest 650 range street scrambler.

Shep

I like them, i thought the "Steve McQueen" special was a nice looking bike, the little extras making it look really cool:thumb

And at the price they look a proper bargain if you compare them to BWM's latest 650 range street scrambler.

Shep

Shep, ANYTHING is a bargain compared to a 650 Beemer !!
Was in Billy Smithys on Saturday and they have a lovely green Triumph Scrambler ( although red is my preference). Excellant range from triumph these days...and affordable !!:thumb

Here's a couple of pics

175381380-M.jpg

Fiona earning her keep

175381346-M.jpg

Wish you hadn't posted those pix;i'm trying not to like the Scambler.
It looks an ideal Bimbling bike.
Good classic colours and relaxed riding.Nice.:thumb2

Any corrosion/build quality issues so far?.

Any corrosion/build quality issues so far?.

The bike is just over a year old but had only done 1500 miles which I suspect where dry miles. There is nothing obvious yet but the next few months will tell as I'm not the most detailed polisher/cleaner and tend to ride in most weathers etc.

The one thing I have picked up was some of the paint just inside the filler cap on the tank has reacted to the petrol and has bubbled a little.

Regards

Stumpy

Back
Top Bottom