Connecting Autocom to Zumo?

dave hendy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am about to get a Garmin Zumo which will be my introduction to the world of GPS and I need to know if it comes with the lead to connect to my Autocom or whether I need to get a different lead. My Active 7 Autocom is about 2 years old and is not Bluetooth.

Dave

Dave,

You have got the choice of our Parts 1276 and 1314 which will supply you full stereo sound for the music from the Zumo.

Or our Part 1300 that will plug into the phone socket and supply split mono sound into both of your helmet speakers

Rich

Dave,

You have got the choice of our Parts 1276 and 1314 which will supply you full stereo sound for the music from the Zumo.

Or our Part 1300 that will plug into the phone socket and supply split mono sound into both of your helmet speakers

Rich

Hi Rich

Now you have confussed me 'music' I thought I only got speach for directions?? How much are these leads + is there a description on the autocom site?

Dave

Hi Dave,

The Zumo should have a built in MP3 player all depending on which model you run so you can listen to music if you want.

Cost wise the Part 1276 is £75 and the 1314 £28.

Rich

I cant find 1276 in the catalog? what is it?

Is the 1273 available yet? if so .... how much

cheers

I have to say that I love the Zumo but.....

I can't get the interface with the autocom right. perhaps its just me but the autocom works fine rider to pillion and even bike to bike now we have given up with Vox and use the PTT switch.

Its everything else that is a little sub-optimal.

My phone will not with with the phone lead a supplied. So I tried to bluetooth the phone through the Zumo - thats a waste of time, you cannot hear anything unless you are stationary even with the volume right up.

My Road Angel is a "plus" and seemed to need a different lead to the normal Road Angel. The volume is the problem - you can just about hear it stationary.

I have even been to Autocom and have not resolved these issues.

Great bit of kit - I think its connecting to other accessories where it lets itself down

David

David, personally I can not see us letting you ride away with parts or connections not working on your system?!!? If you have low volume issues we would of checked over your helmet or even changed parts on your main control unit to lift the required volumes.

The Part 1276 is our retro BT dongle for our Pre 2006 systems where the phone sockets can not power the dongles where needed.

Rich

David, personally I can not see us letting you ride away with parts or connections not working on your system?!!? If you have low volume issues we would of checked over your helmet or even changed parts on your main control unit to lift the required volumes.

The Part 1276 is our retro BT dongle for our Pre 2006 systems where the phone sockets can not power the dongles where needed.

Rich

Rich,

Sorry - it happened. At the time I think the comment from the person I was dealing with was that the Road angel plus was the first one he had seen and the connection was different. You could hear the thing but only when stationary. Not something that you test for at the workshop.

The phone issues.... well I just blame myself for having a newish model

The volume issues and not bike to bike or rider to rider - just the accessories.

I'm picking up my new bike in a week and am having the whole system transfered to it. I am more than happy to come to the workshop again (3rd visit) and let you take a look at it.

Regards

David

Ok the next step would be to raise the volume on your system to make the Radar louder. Phone wise it should not matter what model of phone you have there should alywas be a good level of volume there, again we could have a look at this for you. Just as matter of interest what model of phone are you actually running?

So if you are wanting to come and visit us again thats no problems as always book an appointment and we can go from there.

Rich

Hi Dave,

The Zumo should have a built in MP3 player all depending on which model you run so you can listen to music if you want.

Cost wise the Part 1276 is £75 and the 1314 £28.

Rich

Rich

More confusion I have just down loaded the 2007 Autocom catalogue and that says I need part 1300 £38??? I want it to work OK but I don't want to buy parts I don't need:eek:

Dave

The Part 1300 is a Zumo lead but will only supply mono sound for the music due to it running via the phone socket only. The other thing will be if you are running bike to bike this will be effected due to the phone socket taking priority over the system.

So this is why we are now mainly suggesting the parts 1273/1276 and 1314 set up to allow for the full stereo sound and not effecting the bike to bike only unless you are talking a phone call.

Rich

The Part 1300 is a Zumo lead but will only supply mono sound for the music due to it running via the phone socket only. The other thing will be if you are running bike to bike this will be effected due to the phone socket taking priority over the system.

So this is why we are now mainly suggesting the parts 1273/1276 and 1314 set up to allow for the full stereo sound and not effecting the bike to bike only unless you are talking a phone call.

Rich

Rich

OK thanks gives me something else to think about and there was me thinking it would be straight forward!!

Rich,

I've got my Zumo plugged in to an old Autocom and it plays music and gives directions fine. Don't care that much about phone at the moment.

However, I get a really bad hum and whine in the background once the bike is running. It's powered via a socket that is controlled by the CANBUS, but I'm not sure this is the issue as I've had other devices that seem to suffer from the same interference straight off of the battery.

A bit of research seems to imply this might be a ground / earth loop problem? Any thoughts?

The Zumo is earthed to the bike frame as is the Autocom. The Autocom draws its power straight from the battery via a relay that activates when the ignition is turned on.

Firebird, anything that is bike powered needs isolation as part of the interface lead so I would say you are using the wrong lead for the Zumo or anything else you have powered via the bike. Or it could be the case you are using the right lead and its cable routing causing the issues which is failry common on the BM's

Rich

Rich

Have ordered part 1300 althogh wont get it until Saturday 21st still my migsel mount says it will be 2-3 weeks:eek:

Zumo now fitted to the bike as well as part 1300 all works very well at speeds below 50mph above this it is differcult to hear with the GPS on max. volume. Is there anything else I can do to boost sound level:confused:

Dave, you will need to turn up the master volume (bottom left button) as most of the time the Zumo's are only set to three quarters volume straight from the box. You will find there is another 3-4 bars still left on the volume.

We have found also by changing the spoken to british english this is the highest volume available for the GPS prompts.

Rich

Dave, you will need to turn up the master volume (bottom left button) as most of the time the Zumo's are only set to three quarters volume straight from the box. You will find there is another 3-4 bars still left on the volume.

We have found also by changing the spoken to british english this is the highest volume available for the GPS prompts.

Rich

Hi Rich

I have already got the Zumo set on the highest setting. I can turn the autocom up a bit I suppose but the intercom gets a bit too loud!

The Part 1300 is a Zumo lead but will only supply mono sound for the music due to it running via the phone socket only
Rich,
I came up last Thursday and had a kit 300 fitted along with part 1300 Zumo lead. I was told about the mono sound issue at the time, but from what I can make out the sound is definately in stereo. - I went and loaded a track I knew would be easy to hear in stereo, so played Led Zeppelin - Whole lotta Love, the bit where Robert Plant goes doo-lally, and I can hear all the sounds crossfading left-right clearly.

Have I misunderstood the problem?

PS I have not forgotten about the replacement power lead :)thumb ). I'm still waiting on Garmin but will chase them up tomorrow as it doesn't seem to have arrived in today's post.

Back
Top Bottom