Shaftsbury to Salisbury BOAT

Trippy

If you look at the map and take the A30 about 2 miles out of Shaftsbury you can take a right turn onto a legal track that will take you the 13 or more miles to Salisbury.
We did it on the way to Hogroast and its great, mixture of surfaces and lots of water with fantastic veiws as you are riding the ridge.
Would be rideable all year around.
We only did 7 miles before I dropped it and hurt my back at which point we rejoined the A30 at one of the many points this is possible. I should imagine the rest is pretty much the same as the staff we covered.

HogRoast07001.jpg

HogRoast07006.jpg

Jim

Been meaning to have a go at this for a while now. My sister lives in the white cottage you go past as soon as you leave the A30 (she gets right fed up with all the bikes going past !!). So perhaps a brotherly visit would be in order soon.

Do you reckon it could be done on Tourances Trippy ?

Anyone got a waypoint for the start of this? or able to mark on an map image some how? For 13 miles linked up, I'm willing to travel to get there :)

cheers

Markie

Afraid I don't do GPS.
If you have a OS map its very obvious and easy to find.

Looks like the one that starts at ST 93367 23958 and finishes at SU 13072 28135

Sorry to need spoon feeding, but can you tell me which OS map I need for this area.
Thanks

There look to be several others just to the South worth exploring so make it a day that I can make too :)

heh heh "and I hear a plan beginning to form...." Clive I know YOU have a GPS (your Basingstoke/ Alton thread is the best ever), so got a lat/long for the start?

cheers

Markie

PS do I confess to KTM Adventure ownership at this point?

WHS are doing a special offer on OS maps, buy one get one half price for me I bought two maps for around £10.

OS explorer maps

I think it is 118 for shaftsbury and 130 for Salisbury.

http://www.aboveandbeyond.co.uk/ do buy 2 get one free (each paper 1:25,000 is £7.99)

and

www.dash4it.co.uk do free shipping (each paper 1:25,000 is £6.79)

Did find a site that did them for around £5.50 ish but I can't remember what it was called :blast

Just a friendly bump. Rode this yesterday (west to east) and it's very ridable at the moment. The last mile or two once you get past the race course was pretty muddy and "interesting", but the rest was great. Nice to do an extended off rode ride without doing road sections :)

Can't believe 12 odd miles went by so quickly.

Cheers

Markie

Last edited:
I have road that lane many times and it is a nice straight forward ride which even in the depths of winter could be done on Tourances. Just a word of caution though the lane can be rode fast and its easy to forget that it crosses a few b roads watch out for these unmarked cross roads, I have seen several people go straight over them without stopping and on at least one occasion a very near miss. I normally head on down to Tollard royal and pick up the ox drove afterwards makes for a fun afternoon trail riding

I have road that lane many times and it is a nice straight forward ride which even in the depths of winter could be done on Tourances. Just a word of caution though the lane can be rode fast and its easy to forget that it crosses a few b roads watch out for these unmarked cross roads, I have seen several people go straight over them without stopping and on at least one occasion a very near miss. I normally head on down to Tollard royal and pick up the ox drove afterwards makes for a fun afternoon trail riding

But definitely can't all be ridden on tourances a lot of the time in case anyone decides to have a go. Unless you have a snorkel it has some very deep water on it towards the eastern end. Take a plug spanner if you try. ;)

Whoops sorry I was referring to the lane from the race course to the A30 The Ox drove is always a bit of a hand full even on TK's

But definitely can't all be ridden on tourances a lot of the time in case anyone decides to have a go. Unless you have a snorkel it has some very deep water on it towards the eastern end. Take a plug spanner if you try. ;)

15.jpg

Back
Top Bottom