Mounts for a Garmin Quest onto a 1200

Phil Clarke

Reaction score
trying to figure out which mount to get. there seems to be a choice of 2 - Garmins own mount which I presume mounts onto the handlebar clamps (or a bracket of your own devising) for £50 or a RAM mount from GPSW which looks like an unecessarrily long and convoluted set up with a dodgy looking u clamp for £20 (If bought with a quest from GPSW). It also looks like you need to extract a power wire from the Garmin mount to use on the RAM mount...

Is the Garmin mount the best option for another £30, is the RAM mount actually ok and if so whats the score with the power wire into the back of it.

Tah

trying to figure out which mount to get. there seems to be a choice of 2 - Garmins own mount which I presume mounts onto the handlebar clamps (or a bracket of your own devising) for £50 or a RAM mount from GPSW which looks like an unecessarrily long and convoluted set up with a dodgy looking u clamp for £20 (If bought with a quest from GPSW). It also looks like you need to extract a power wire from the Garmin mount to use on the RAM mount...

Is the Garmin mount the best option for another £30, is the RAM mount actually ok and if so whats the score with the power wire into the back of it.

Tah

You may wish to search the subject in this forum as the Garmin cradle had many exposed weak spots when in use. The RAM GA15 cradle had a development of QPAC which when attached form part of the mount and has had a better record than the Garmmin device. Others such as TT also made a cradle with a powered device.

As to the 12GS, On LHS of the clocks, RAM-B-149ZA + RAP-319 + RAM-HOL-GA15 with QPAC0?-xx ( 4 options, three with BMW plug and either 2.5mm or 3.5mm jack socket ) is one method; used by many.

To be honest - I've never had a problem with the Garmin cradle, and also own the RAM cradle (which I do not like so much, although it is absolutely foolproof)

You need a RAM assembly of some sorts, whatever cradle you choose........

For the GS - I would recommend a mount that clamps to the LH bar controls - it places the Quest near your left hand and also nearer your eyes than the bike instruments.

Al :thumb2

To be honest - I've never had a problem with the Garmin cradle, and also own the RAM cradle (which I do not like so much, although it is absolutely foolproof)

You need a RAM assembly of some sorts, whatever cradle you choose........

For the GS - I would recommend a mount that clamps to the LH bar controls - it places the Quest near your left hand and also nearer your eyes than the bike instruments.

Al :thumb2

I'd support this too, I've used a Garmin cradle for almost 2 years, several trips to France, also UK use, lots of rain, no problems. I've heard of contacts corroding but mine look like new.

I'm on the other side of the fence and have been using the RAM mount/cradle, attached to the handlebars.

I recently picked up the QPAC powered cable also, and no, the leads don't get in the way, works no bother.. Had one bit of annoying fiddling, where the Quest was auto-powering off every 2 minutes while on a road trip, but other than that has been working fine.

Back
Top Bottom