"GB" number plate or "GB" sticker

steveuk

do i need a "GB" number plate (with the blue background and letters "GB") or will an older "all yellow" number plate with a "GB" sticker on the back box suffice for riding mainland europe?

thank you!

GB Sticker is fine...

do i need a "GB" number plate (with the blue background and letters "GB") or will an older "all yellow" number plate with a "GB" sticker on the back box suffice for riding mainland europe?

thank you!

There's no need to change your numberplate, the GB sticker route is fine - there is a "legal" size requirement - most of the ones you can buy from Halfords or the port are fine... I used a very small one once and had some Italian border guards in the Alps (crossing from Switzerland) start to look like they were going to make life difficult, but in the end they didn't...

Enjoy!

If you're proud to be promoting the EU superstate go for the GB in the ring of stars (blue background). If not, a GB sticker is fine. Mind you, I don't usually have anything (except an anti - EU sticker;) ) and it's never been a problem.

Just to be a twat on minutiae :) ........The "EU" starry thing is only technically valid in the EU. Stray of that and the "GB" sticker is required.

If you're proud to be promoting the EU superstate go for the GB in the ring of stars (blue background). If not, a GB sticker is fine. Mind you, I don't usually have anything (except an anti - EU sticker;) ) and it's never been a problem.

i dont use one either.[but i always carry one]
on my way back from this years dakar i met a couple from swindon who had been robbed in a fuel station 30 miles from bilboa [£1500]ouch.
the local police said they were targeted because of there GB plate and they knew british people were lapst in terms of security ie locking the doors.
true story HONEST.
when i travel alone i think it makes me stick out.:thumb2

I just changed my number plate to get a GB sticker on it as I do not always want to ride with panniers (The GB sticker is on one of them).
Purely out of interest, where do others stick their GB stickers? They do not seem to stick for any length of time to the funny mudguard. I could just go and look but everyone seems to have the GB on the number plate now.

Purely out of interest, where do others stick their GB stickers?

the one real use for the GS crap catcher thing.

i just have the GB/stars thing on the plate though.

in the past when i've not had the euro plate, i've drawn it on blue masking tape with a felt pen, smiley instead of stars. never any hassle.

Never had one in over 30 years. Been pulled over several times for checks on papers and once for speeding. Police never mention it,

Crap catcher and grab a free GB sticker off the counter at whichever ferry crossing operative you're travelling with, take a couple in case one gets 'blown off officer' :augie

What... you mean to say I have to take my lovely bling bling TT fancy fender tidy thingy off and put that minging crap catcher on to display a GB sticker... :thedummy

In the hope that this will avoid getting a tug m'lud... ...:nenau

Awhhh... gwon then...:tears :mmmm

Not allowed to use a GB sticker at all on our bikes.
1100s003.jpg

Bob

I wasn't sure if the "GB" number plate was wider, hearing horror stories of number plates melting with aftermarket cans, I decided against & went with the standard....:nenau

Just come back from a week in France, Italy, Austria, Germany and Belgium. No EU number plate, no GB sticker, and Laser pipe with "loud" insert. No problems anywhere, but I might just have been lucky.

I got done for parking in Italy and got an additional EU20 fine for no GB sticker or GB plate ... mind you the policeman was having a bad day ... wanted to tow me off, so I had to pay the tow truck off as well.
Don't park near the supermarket on the ring in Cortina, even if there are no signs saying 'no parking' :(

I got done for parking in Italy and got an additional EU20 fine for no GB sticker or GB plate ... mind you the policeman was having a bad day ... wanted to tow me off, so I had to pay the tow truck off as well.
Don't park near the supermarket on the ring in Cortina, even if there are no signs saying 'no parking' :(

Should have reminded him that even though they were one of the Axis powers, Germany spent more time/effort/manpower/firepower making sure that their flanks didn't fold.....
Being a partisan, I'm sure he would have appreciated it......:D

Never ever had a GB sticker or GB numberplate when travelling abroad, and never, ever had any bother in forty years. I do however have a St.Georges Flag sticker as I'm English.:clap

Back
Top Bottom