Garmisch... The Long Way Round

Blowzorn

Reaction score
Having been to the BMW biker meet 3 years running now we thought we'd try something different this year.
There’s only so much bratwurst and umpaa music a man can take so rather than spend 2/3 days walking round the same old stands and events we decided (that is PBerrey and myself) to just call in at Garmisch and pick up a T-shirt and use the rest of the time seeing a bit more of Europe and having a good old play in the Alps.

Day One Wednesday 4th July
Maidenhead to Millau
690 miles
p43191199.html

Today started very early up at 03:30 on the road by 04:00, to catch the 05:40 Euro-tunnel crossing.
p43191200.html

p43191201.html

We couldn’t have chosen a worse day to travel with the rain and wind lashing down. Our only consolation and the thought that kept us driving on was it was bound to get brighter and warmer the further south we got.
p43191202.html

There were pockets of sunshine on route but sure as eggs is eggs the foul weather would return. It wasn’t until we got the first glimpse of the bridge about 15 km north of Millau that the sun finally came out for good.
p43191203.html

p43191207.html

Quality bit of wiring
p43191210.html

p43191212.html

Found a cracking campsite on the banks of the river Tarn right by the town centre and that was us done for the day.
p43191213.html

p43191216.html

p43191218.html

Highlight of the day had to be the périphérique. What a crazy road that is. Thought we were filtering fast but the locals made us look like pussies. Loads of room to filter though and car drivers that are so bike aware made it a blast.

Day Two Thursday 5th July
Millau to Genoa
425 miles
The day started brilliantly, with a blast down the A75 to Montpellier. This has to be one of the greatest stretches of motorway in the world. You descend about 1500m over a 30km stretch with some blinding bends.
p43191228.html

By the time we took our first break near Arles the temperature had risen 15 degrees and it was a beautiful day to hit the Cote d’azur. Next stop Nice and a dip in the sea.
p43191229.html

Now you’re probably all expecting loads of topless shots of bronzed bathing goddesses along the promenade d’anglais. Well I’m sorry to disappoint.
Don’t know what it is about Thursday afternoons in Nice but all the bathers were well over 60 and the only tits I saw were like wet pitta breads.
p43191231.html

p43191234.html

No time to rest The glitz of Monaco awaits and my first altercation with the European Police.
p43191238.html

p43191240.html

Sorry Miss, so I’m not supposed to stray across that solid white line. Smarm, charm, smarm. “My, My your just the prettiest thing I’ve ever seen in a uniform.”
p43191241.html

Got away without the 150euro on the spot fine. Close shave.
The A8 along the coast of Italy is another sublime road, an engineering masterpiece of tunnels and viaducts. What a stonker.

Day 3 Friday 6th July
Genoa to Garmisch
390 miles
p43191244.html

This was the day we’d most been looking forward to. A quick blast north to the top of lake Como then into the alps to play in some passes.
Pass 1 Maloja Pass
This runs from Chiavenna in Italy to St Moritz in Switzerland and what can you say, it’s twisty and turny like a great big twisty turny thing.
p43191249.html

p43191254.html

p43191255.html

Pass 2 Bernina Pass 2800m
p43191261.html

p43191263.html

The highest pass of the day. We started this from the top so it was all downhill for lunch in San Roco.
p43191264.html

Lets thank Paul B for all the photos
p43191267.html

Pass 3 Stelvio Pass 2760m
p43191269.html

p43191271.html

The Stelvio is hard work, especially if your trying to chase down a 990KTM adv. All credit to the rider but those things don’t half shift and look incredibly nimble.. It’s all stop start 1st gear corners but worth it to get ripped off for the most expensive cap badge in the World once you’ve got to the top.
Pic
Pass 4 Timmelsjoch Pass 2509m
p43191274.html

This was the most rewarding pass but unforgettable for one of the lowest points of the trip.
Never been up here before but truly loved it. This road flows so much better than the Stelvio, long bends that follow the contour of the mountain with corners that link and flow.
p43191275.html

Got to the top of here at 19:30 everything was shut and it was getting a bit nippy so decided to put on a jumper. Took of the one piece Spidi Admiral suit, comes to put it back on again and the single collar to ankle zip failed. Took us the best part of an hour to get the zip to work lubing it up with olive oil and inching the zipper along bit by bit. This became the norm for the rest of the trip spending 40 mins each day to get the thing fastened then staying in it all day for fear of the zip failing again if I got out. (the suits back with Spidi being checked).
p43191279.html

p43191280.html

The pass was actually closed – barriers across the road - by the time we descended. We crashed these coz there was no way we we’re going back.
True to form we rolled in to Garmisch about 22:00 tent up and straight to the beer tent for a Steiner or two.
p43191282.html

Day 4
Garmisch – Heidelburg (Via Lichtenstein)
270 miles
Got the T-shirt time to leave.
p43191283.html

p43191285.html

Who wants a set of these
p43191286.html

p43191287.html

After a leisurely camp breakfast we were off. This was a lazy day in the saddle, with us looking forward to a nice hotel and comfy bed for our last night on the continent.
Heidelberg is a fantastic place, what a party town. Forgot to eat, lost my camera (the other low point of the trip), fell over – standard operational procedure then.

Day 5
Heidelberg – Home (Maidenhead)
525 miles
So nothing like making it easy for ourselves. 500 miles with a cloudy head.
The trip to Calais was uneventful and passed without problem.
p43191288.html

But what a welcome home to find traffic jams on the M20, M26 and M25 and all at tea time on a Sunday. Filtered over 80 miles to junction 10 (Chertsey) on the M25 by which time we’d had enough. So blasted the last few miles across country via Ascot.
Pic
What a grand trip.
5 days.
2300 miles
10 countries:- England, France, Monaco, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Lichtenstein, Netherlands and Belgium. (Could have got San Remo and Luxemburg, Hey ho. We’ll save them for next year).

Time of your live hey kid.

Attachments

• Euromap.jpg
    Euromap.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 223
Blowzorn, Sounds like a fantastic trip but unfortunately I can't view your photos :confused:

Top words Uncle Alan, but as Ronno says, no picies :(

photobucket test

blowzorn_photos

either I'm doing something wrong or my pc don't like it.
Am I missing something lads.
Sellect insert image.
Paste url in dialog box
return

Euro07_01.jpg

You need to use the link they give you ... just click on it and it is copied onto clipboard automatically :D

What did you do there Tom?

on the side of the pictures .. you get several options listed ..

URL
HTML
IMG code

Click on the link within IMG code .. a little message box will say it's copied ... then paste it in the thread

Does that make sense?

If not .. give me a call ... I can talk you through it :D

Back
Top Bottom