Anyone changed GS12 for R1200S?

JDH

Reaction score
If so, would appreciate your opinion please, happy with change or regretting it? Contemplating such a change myself, but not without some reservations.

Cheers,

JDH

Toured with a chap to Garmisch, in last 2 weeks.

He'd gone to a R1200S (with Ohlins option etc) from a GS1150, I think

After following us for 10 days...........he's selling it and going back to a GS

He just couldn't keep up in the wet (even my lardy 1150Adv and had to wave me through), especially on the Stelvio and other Passes

Plus........ he was in agony after the 250-300 mile days and he was a very fit climber/mountaineer

Shouldn't bother with one:augie

Toured with a chap to Garmisch, in last 2 weeks.

He'd gone to a R1200S (with Ohlins option etc) from a GS1150, I think

After following us for 10 days...........he's selling it and going back to a GS

He just couldn't keep up in the wet (even my lardy 1150Adv and had to wave me through), especially on the Stelvio and other Passes

Plus........ he was in agony after the 250-300 mile days and he was a very fit climber/mountaineer

Shouldn't bother with one:augie

Bugger:mad: Not what I was hoping to hear, but thanks for the info. Suppose I'm hoping someone will come along and claim the opposite.

Cheers again,

JDH
JDH

I only had one for the day as a loan bike, but I said to the dealer when I gave it back that the Gestapo could have used them during the war. A couple of hours on one and people would tell you anything:nono Was so pleased to give it back and get back on the GS

I considered & indeed paid for a R1200S as my second bike, not having ridden when placing the order.
I subsequently road a test bike and was left with serious doubts regarding its riding position.:blast
Mercifully the dealer having received the money in full for the quoted price, then changed the amount & agreed spec.:spitfire
Even here in Thailand this amounted to breach of contract & having tried to argue otherwise, refunded me in full.
I immediately put a down payment on a Triumph Scrambler [see my post "GS"ing a Scrambler].
The first Scrambler sold by an official dealer in Thailand!:thumb2

Well apart from the hassle, which is SOP for BMW in Thailand, I am mightily relieved,
as it would not have been the traffic buster I was looking for.
Indeed the riding position for me, compared to my GS, was so radical I believe I would have had to sell it on almost immediately.

If you are looking for a motorway muncher cum track meister then this bike is for you.
The engine is truly a peach.
But if this is to be your only bike and traffic is an issue, with riding on your wrists sometimes a problem,
then you may want to look at other options.
It is rather focussed to be an only bike in the stable especially if you do any travelling with kit.

I considered & indeed paid for a R1200S as my second bike, not having ridden when placing the order.
I subsequently road a test bike and was left with serious doubts regarding its riding position.:blast
Mercifully the dealer having received the money in full for the quoted price, then changed the amount & agreed spec.:spitfire
Even here in Thailand this amounted to breach of contract & having tried to argue otherwise, refunded me in full.
I immediately put a down payment on a Triumph Scrambler [see my post "GS"ing a Scrambler].
The first Scrambler sold by an official dealer in Thailand!:thumb2

Well apart from the hassle, which is SOP for BMW in Thailand, I am mightily relieved,
as it would not have been the traffic buster I was looking for.
Indeed the riding position for me, compared to my GS, was so radical I believe I would have had to sell it on almost immediately.

If you are looking for a motorway muncher cum track meister then this bike is for you.
The engine is truly a peach.
But if this is to be your only bike and traffic is an issue, with riding on your wrists sometimes a problem,
then you may want to look at other options.
It is rather focussed to be an only bike in the stable especially if you do any travelling with kit.

I had one on test for an afternoon and loved it on smooth-ish tarmac. The handling was fantastic.

But - I did return with a bit of a twinge in my back, which I didn't get with my BoxerCup Replika.

It is a tremendous road bike but is limited by luggage availability, and that fairly long reach to the bars.

If you can justify it in addition to a GS - brilliant............... if not--- go for the GS :thumb2

Al :D

There is a yellow R1200S sat at my dealer since it was launched.

It does look nice!

Must admit I am quite taken by the new Kwak GTR 1400 though :

kawasaki-gtr-1400.jpg

It's just been launced and the 2 road tests I've read have both raved about it.

The engine is from the ZZR1400 but is much improved,with more torque and still 150bhp.

The handling is supposedly brilliant,though to accomplish the turn rate,the bike is a bit top heavy at a walking pace.

The panniers are 100% waterproof and the shaft drive is faultless.

Only heated grips are missing.

I might have to try one

Hi JDH

Try asking on the boxertrix forum for the flip side opinion. You're always going to get a pro-GS bias on this forum.

I've got both as I thought that the GS was irreplacable in terms of a great all round package. I bought the R1200s last November thinking it'd be my 'Sport, Sport' bike and gave the GS to my wife, thinking that I could still use it for touring and winter rides etc.

Image-C011A5D0177911DC.jpg

Well, from my point of view the S is the better bike. Its totally different to the GS but still familiar enough to be easy to adapt to. Having had both to choose from for the best part of 12 months I have used the GS maybe 3 or 4 times max. I have a coupleof long weekends away on it but no European touring on it, although there are a few people on the other forum who have and have said it was great!

The pros of the S is its a load of fun. It seems a lot faster than the GS although in reality I don't think it is much more than a fraction, I think it just delivers the power diffently. Its way more comfortable than the GS as it spreads your body weight over the bars, seat and pegs evenly where as the GS puts it all through your back. I always have a bad back after riding the GS. it also still a fairly rare site on the UK roads and turns a lot of heads, where as th GS is a common as muck on account of it being so good as so many things. The engine also seems a lot smoother having ridden both bikes last week - and my GS has 10,000 more miles than the S so should be going better. They weer both serviced on the same day last month.

The main downside of the S was its lack of luggage although BMW now has system panniers for it that are the same as the K1200s. The look really neat but make the bike very, very wide. I also don't know anyone who regularly takes a pillon on them. Most people like me seem to fit the rear cowl and use it as a solo bike. If this is a concern take a pillion on a test-ride. The Ohlins suspension is great and you can certainly lean it a lot further than a GS before you risk touching any parts of your bike down.

Also as standard the S has a real dip in power in the mid-range but there are plently of decent after market systems to smooth it out. I've fitted the full Akro system and it's fantastic. HPE also have jusr released a really neat looking system. Its also a bit bumpy on really rough roads but you can alter the suspension settings for this.

Overall its a cracking bike and I can say that I'll stick with this type of bike rather than a GS for my type of riding. I'd only go back to a GS if I was going on a long tour with a lot of rough roads or tracks.

Go on - try one!:thumb2

Hey.Stoney,got any pics of the bike showing the full system ?

Did you get it remapped too ?

Image-7CD01F78C10411DB.jpg

Image-7CD08007C10411DB.jpg

SlideShow.html

I've not had it remapped but its loads better than stock thats for sure!

That does look good !

I'm surprised that there isn't a remap for the bike ?

Did you get the system through BMW ?

I have a full Akra EVO system on my Superduke and it came suppled with a remap for the dealer to download and install.

08072007365.jpg

It doesn't need a remap - its designed to go straight on the bike as it is.

I've had it on since January and its been superb.

Hi Stoney,

Thanks a lot for that, now I'm drooling after seeing those pics, the bike looks superb!!

Interested to read your comments regarding comfort also, I do a fair bit of touring and so comfort is important to a degree, but I've toured on my gixer 750 a number of times and tbh not really had a problem.

I'll get onto that website and do a bit of reading.

Thanks again:thumb2

John

Hi John

I haven't got the panniers - I just make do with a rucksack. If I was to get rid of the GS though I'd invest in the system panniers for the S just to add another string to its bow. A taller screen would be nice too but its still much better than the standard GS screen in trms of buffeting.

Been there done that. I ordered several different bags from them but they had none that i was happy with fitting to the bike.

I ended buying a BMW tailpack but didn't really get on with that either. Rucksacks are the way for me for now. You forget they are there really and you can take them anywhere. If I needed a long distance option I'd go for the panniers after seeing them - they are so neat - like all BMW luggage really.

Back
Top Bottom