S/H GPS for £100 - which to look for?

squid

Reaction score
Hi,

I wasn't going to bother with a satnav for the bike. I was going to use a map and mod my Talex camera detector to use on the bike.

However, if I wanted good fixed and mobile alerts on a satnav could I pick up such a thing for around £100 ?

Only used two satnavs, one tomtom on a pda and a Medion job from Aldi with speech to text etc.

Found the medion much better but took it back as it developed a fault. Also updating cam alerts looked a pain - Good idea was it warned you when exceeding speed by a user def amount.

The Talex as a safety device is much better and doesn't shout camera unless there is one in your direction of travel. Find the others warn on what appears to be traffic cameras not just speed ones.

I know I'm not going to get the bees knees for £100 but don't need one enough to bother spending more really.

If you were after a cheap but useful item what would it be?

a few more quid will get you a garmin Quest on ebay - say 120. I don't know what the mounting kit will be - ones with the bike kit go for more, but if you are hand with a cable tie, I'm sure you can do something.

Keep with me here as I am a bit dim when it comes to satnavs.

So this is a waterproof one
Can you do full postcode searches?
Can you get detialed camera info and how?

How old are they and whats good about them?

Appreciate the info.

Rob

Keep with me here as I am a bit dim when it comes to satnavs.

So this is a waterproof one
Can you do full postcode searches?
Can you get detialed camera info and how?

How old are they and whats good about them?

Appreciate the info.

Rob

Do a search on the site for:

Garmin

Navigation

TomTom

Price

Best

and / or any combination of the above.

Pages and pages of advice / comment. Happy trawling. Then work out, roughly, what you think matches your budget and come back for final approval.

I've tried, too much to take on board!

If I can narrow it down the two most obvious choices it would be easier for:thumb2

For that sort of money I don't think you're likely to get a device to suit your spec that's truly suitable for bike use. The Quest is a capable unit and can be now had for that and less on e-Bay. However; it doesn't do postcode search, proximity alerts for scameras and you'll need to spend another £50+ on cradle and mounting hardware unless you get really lucky and find one with that included that no one else has noticed.

The alternatives are PDA solutions which IMHO aren't really up to the job and require additional expense and hassle to provide waterproofing and in most cases a GPS signal feed from a separate or plug-in receiver.

I run a Quest which I picked up on e-Bay over a year ago for £130, it does a good basic job and allows precise plotting of routes on the PC which is a great bonus. The only camera location option are map overlays that show a blob for camera locations, no audio alert so next to useless unless you keep one eye on the screen which I wouldn't recommend. Didn't bother and removed the overlay the next time I changed the mapping, the Mk1 eyeball is a more effective scamera detector. Space for mapping is limited by the fact that it only has the built in memory (243MB free) which can hold all of the UK but is a problem if you're doing serious Euro riding. Just about OK for a trip to Spain but a circular route (not coming back the same way or close to it) will see you not having enough memory to hold the required mapping. There are ways to get around this limitation which only have minor negative aspects but I won't bore you with the details.

So am I correct in thinking you can tell these via a pc the exact route you wish to take or let it take you the quickest way as per a normal satnav?

Do you find address via town, road etc?

Can you say route to avoid motorways or locate petrol stations etc

I see a few on fleabay but they all say 115Mb, are most like this? I assume this is the us one. Or have they all jsy copied someone elses specs?

So am I correct in thinking you can tell these via a pc the exact route you wish to take or let it take you the quickest way as per a normal satnav?

Do you find address via town, road etc?

Can you say route to avoid motorways or locate petrol stations etc

I see a few on fleabay but they all say 115Mb, are most like this? I assume this is the us one. Or have they all jsy copied someone elses specs?
You're correct, the American Quest only has 128MB RAM, 115MB (ISTR) of which can be used for the mapping that you load from your PC. Definitely one to avoid as for once the Euro spec. model is better boasting 256MB of which you can use 243MB, no doubt comparatively more expensive when new though. The primary reason for this is down to average road density between the two continents with Europe having far more per sq mile that the US, the mapping for the latter is far 'slimmer' on average for a given area so they can pack plenty into 115MB. Using one of those here would only give you half of the UK and cripple all but the shortest of trips into Europe. In addition it would have the US base-map and lack the European base-map. The base-map has a basic road network and is navigable if appropriate mapping isn't loaded for the area you're in. A very poor 2nd but worth having.

Using MapSource you can easily plot a precise route following exactly the roads you want to travel and then upload this to the unit which, IMHO, is a must for recreational bike use and a massive point in favour of Garmin GPS*. This is possible on the unit as well but is fiddly and time consuming (ideally a paper map can be used as an overview), I'd reserve that for emergencies when you're on tour and want to plot an alternative day trip. MapSource is a little quirky and takes a little getting used to, once you have though it's a very handy tool. Converters are available that permit you plot your route in the likes of MS AutoRoute and then convert to Garmin .gdb or .gpx which you then open in MapSource, re-calculate, check and upload. (any foreign format imported, even a different Garmin mapping version, will need recalculating).

You can load up to 50 routes at one time onto the unit, best to break routes up into days or even half days for big tours rather than trying to do the whole thing in one hit. Split at ferry terminals as well otherwise Mapsource will try to take you via the channel tunnel when leaving the UK practically no matter what route you try to plot, the ferry captain should know where he's going anyway.

Searching for a location is done via country > town/village > street > street number (enter 0 if you don't know). Once found you can either route to it, save the location for later use or find points of interest nearby that you can route to or save instead. When navigating on the unit you can opt to route using fastest time, shortest distance, off road (point to point as the crow flies, this option brings the compass screen into play for walking etc.). Selecting any of these options on a route you've uploaded from your PC will probably change the route once you use the recalculate option on the unit.

Searching for Points of Interest (petrol stations, hotels etc) is easy and similar to location searching above. This can either be done around your current location or around a distant location that you've searched for and found. You can load your own POIs from MapSource or create them on the unit, the limit here is 500.

You can opt to avoid certain basic road types, however, these are a little US orientated: U-Turns, Highways, Toll Roads and Unpaved Roads (Highways being the odd-ball, have yet to establish what these exactly equate to, motorways + dual carriageways?). If checked these are avoided unless there is no viable alternative. You can also set-up custom avoidances to avoid areas or specific sections of particular roads, you can even set an expiry date on these so they are automatically dumped on a set date.

The Quest has plenty of other options and will take a little while to get to grips with but once you've done so I think you'll find it a very capable unit in a neat package, it's far more compact than the other models and has the benefit of an internal battery that can genuinely last for a whole days riding if you don't have a powered cradle.

When buying a used unit from e-bay ensure that it is complete with all disks and the yellow slip of paper that has the unlock code for the mapping. It's also worthwhile asking the seller to de-register the unit with Garmin to enable you to do so. Without doing that it's difficult for you to obtain mapping updates. As for the mapping versions; V9 is current but V8 is OK unless you're intending to use in Ireland (V9 has far better coverage there).

(* don't be fooled into thinking that all Garmin units can use MapSource for route planning, the Nuvi range, i3 and C series StreetPilot range can't, they're just A-B devices. Quest, 26**, 27**, 28** and Zumo are the ones to go for. QuestII has issues so avoid.)

Wow - Thanks!

That gives me a pretty clear understanding.

The one thing I am still unsure of is all the ones on ebay are quoting 115Mb - surely they couldn't all have the US version. Wondering if some of the sellers don't know the difference?

I've mailed a few but not much response so far.

Much appreciated

Rob

PS, am I correct in thinking a RAM mount and a Garmin one are the same but different?

Which should I be looking for?

The one thing I am still unsure of is all the ones on ebay are quoting 115Mb - surely they couldn't all have the US version. Wondering if some of the sellers don't know the difference?
Hmmm, I see what you mean. Looks like the data for that is coming from a common source, do e-Bay offer a semi automatic spec service? looks like it. Quite probable that they only have the US spec. Quest on file. Obviously worth you asking the seller, this could work very much in your favour. For example this one says 115MB yet the box clearly says "UK & Ireland" on the blue label at top left corner. I'd be 99% confident that this is a Euro spec. version with the full 256MB of RAM.

Sellers do themselves no good at all by not providing plenty of information that a buyer might require, most dosn't mention the version of the mapping software and if the unlock codes are included, both vital. I can see the average selling price is around £100.

BTW, not sure if you know this but GPSW are doing these new for £180. They also offer a few bundles including mount hardware and QPAC options (see links on the page for £180 offer). This would obviously cost a bit more but remove all risk from the purchase. You'd get 12 month warranty, latest mapping, no problems registering the unit with Garmin etc. The Quest is officially discontinued but Garmin will still offer support, read a few threads around here and you'll see that their customer service is 2nd to none.

squid said:
am I correct in thinking a RAM mount and a Garmin one are the same but different?

Which should I be looking for?
Essentailly they both do the same job but differ:

RAM offer two cradle options or rather a modular system, the unpowered mount and the QPAC which bolts to back of the RAM cradle. Alternatively the Garmin powered cradle which holds and powers the unit.

You will also need suitable RAM mounting hardware to attach your chosen cradle to your bike, the Garmin cradle has the industry standard mount holes the same as the RAM cradle so the hardware is the same for both. The US RAM site has a handy Motorcycle Mount Wizard that should show you the parts you require for your particular make/model of bike.

Be warned the mount/cradle solution is going to add up. The RAM/QPAC options allows you to mount the unit and get the power option later if funds are tight. I have the Garmin cradle and am happy with it.

£100.00 for a sat nav.
good luck, tight git :augie :D

£100.00 for a sat nav.

Any chance of calling the wife for me and explaining - she won't listen to me, thinks I'm throwing it about!

I might stretch a little further... for the right item

£100.00 for a sat nav.
Some of us have other financial commitments and pockets not so deep I'm afraid :nono :D

My Quest was £130 from e-Bay over a year ago and that was about £30 too much for my budget at the time, then came the cradle and mount... SWMBO didn't find out about those being a separate transaction :augie Luckily the previous owner hadn't bothered to register the unit and had only been using the pre-loaded UK mapping yet he still had all the disks unlock codes etc. This wasn't mentioned at all in the auction. This was a real bonus as it had City Select v6 but due to not having been registered qualified for free upgrade to the just released City Nav v8.

Nothing wrong with the Quest, especially for £100 if you can get one for that. Yes there are far more spectacular GPSRs out there but they cost far more.

Had replies from some of the seller on ebay - not one of them knows what I mean by - is it the 256Mb version. Not really much point in asking about the mapping then!

Had replies from some of the seller on ebay - not one of them knows what I mean by - is it the 256Mb version. Not really much point in asking about the mapping then!
If it's complete with the original box then if the blue sticker on the front has a European country/countries on it then it's the 256MB version. The Mapping version will be on the disks/disk that comes with the unit, don't buy if there are no disks and don't be fooled by the upgrade City Navigator disks on e-Bay they're useless without an original unlock code for your unit and a previous version on your PC (only v9 upgrade will work with those anyway).

If it's complete with the original box then if the blue sticker on the front has a European country/countries on it then it's the 256MB version. The Mapping version will be on the disks/disk that comes with the unit, don't buy if there are no disks and don't be fooled by the upgrade City Navigator disks on e-Bay they're useless without an original unlock code for your unit and a previous version on your PC (only v9 upgrade will work with those anyway).

as bumpkin says,make sure you will get the unlock codes.
mine is a yellow piece of paper 3"x 6" with the following printed-[plus instructions for 9 countries].
unit serial number :********
unlock code :*****-*****-*****-*****
registration code :*******
ps,make sure unit serial number match's the unit you buy.:thumb
[against the unlock codes from garmin.]

Already a bit over your budget and likely to go higher, but this Ebay Item is just the thing
Bearing in mind that an upgrade to V9 mapping will cost about £55. There are plenty of units selling with City Select v6 which I would consider significantly out of date, I'd settle for City Navigator v8 without having to worry about shelling out for an upgrade to the latest City Navigator v9. Added to which the Garmin bike cradle is £50 new that's good value ATM. If everything checks out and he's willing to de-register with Garmin I would still see that being a good buy at £170-180. Not sure if Garmin warranty is transferable, might be worth checking.

I can't stress enough that unless mentioned in the auction make sure unlock codes and disks are included. Mapsource can be downloaded FOC but the mapping can't.

Thanks chaps, I have that on my watch list.

I can get the complete bundle inc RAM mount for £229.00 So at the 170 ish mark I'd probably just go for new. The one on ebay doesn't have the complete mounting kit.

There is a lot to be said for buying new at the end of the day unless the saving is really good.

Back
Top Bottom