Oh my lord now I'm confused.

(RIP) Tunneruk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Following a thread conversation with GSRich I called Autocom today with a view to ordering a full bluetooth setup for my new GSA + Zumo 550
I spoke to a chap today (not Rich) and I have to say I'm more confused than ever.
From what I can gather an Autocom 300 system is bike powered........to connect your lid to the Autocom you have to plug it into the bike.........so what part of it connect via bluetooth???
I was under the impression that a bluetooth system would not require me to be plugged into the bike and connect to the Zumo wirelessly.

I think I need a lie down!:(

We have changed from autocom now to Scala Rider team set and it seems fine, no wires to the helmits, phone and zumo all linked in via bluetooth, there seems to be one or two teething probs but I'm sure they will come good, So at the mo quite happy with it,

Chris

Beacon, what does the Teamset pillion receive, do they also get the music, directions and such or do they just receive 'rider to pillion comms' ?

Hope that question makes sense :eek:

Hi Guys,
Following a thread conversation with GSRich I called Autocom today with a view to ordering a full bluetooth setup for my new GSA + Zumo 550
I spoke to a chap today (not Rich) and I have to say I'm more confused than ever.
From what I can gather an Autocom 300 system is bike powered........to connect your lid to the Autocom you have to plug it into the bike.........so what part of it connect via bluetooth???
I was under the impression that a bluetooth system would not require me to be plugged into the bike and connect to the Zumo wirelessly.

I think I need a lie down!:(

Due to the many restrictions and problems with bluetooth the only parts we are offering are phone dongles due to nothing else really being worth touching. So if you were to run a Super Pro you will have a lead running from your helmet down the the bike. On a wired system you can run what ever you like all at the same time as with bluetooth you can only pair with one device at a time i.e. only rider to pillion, if you were take a phone call or run gps the pillion connection will be gone.

I will not go on too much as there other major problems with bluetooth comms, I think this is why they come on the market for a week or two then suddenly dissapear. BMW and Shuberth have both recalled their systems, so I think that shows you all how far of target the idea is

Rich

Jacal

It is a good question, as the pillion only gets the comms, no music or directions, but you can bring the pillion into a phone call, its an FM radio link to the pillion so you do lose the singnal now and then thats one of the hicups at the mo, It works on VOX which means you miss the first word of any sentence, but all in all I like it and the qality of sound is very good IMO better than autocom,s as when you speed up and get more wind noice the Scala compansates,

Chris

Last edited:
I've not compared the ScalaRider, but I have tried to listed to a Zumo playing an MP3 through a Nolan N Com, which is based on the same technology. As far as audio quality is concerned, Autocom wins hands down. As will any wired vs wireless system until they can get the same signal bandwidth through the air as they can through copper.

Try before you buy and make your own mind up. There are loads of GSers around with an Autocom for you to try, and you should be able to get a Bluetooth demo at either Hein Gericke or Infinity.

The new Autocom Pro Avi does have a Background Noise Sensor which will ramp up the volume and adjust the vox levels to compensate for wind noise etc.

Its a first class piece of kit and worth every penny IMHO.

I had one before, had an Intaride for a while, demo'd Bluetooth and then went back to Autocom. If you do a search you'll see a similar story from others.

Good luck, :thumb

Mike

Guys I think I've come to the realisation that as much as bluetooth appears to be ideal in theory the every day practicalities are far from ideal. Having no experience of any comms systems at all so it's very easy to be tempted by the shining lights of bluetooth thinking they hold all the answers. I think that I have now excersized the demons of bluetooth and will just but a wired com. After all, Bike comms is all about the sound you get in your lid and not about how it gets there. Lets face it bluetooth is a bit pointless unless it can totally take the place of a wired system which it seems far from being able to do yet.
Pro Rider Duo to be ordered tomorrow
Many thanks guys for all your posts (particularly Rich that has posted on oth my threads!)
The End!

I had a Pro Rider kit fitted to my 1200GS at Autocom yesterday. The bluetooth dongle that connects to the phone is excellent - but just for phone calls. I tried listening to some music tracks stored on my phone through the bluetooth and the quality was awful. But listening to my iPod through a lead, into the Autocom and out to my headset is superb. :thumb

I blanched slightly at the £382 (supplied and fitted) price tag, but as they say, you get what you pay for and this is hand built stuff for a relatively small market (compared to general consumer electronics). And it was good to see 'made in England' on the box.:clap

I have a Starcom which I connect to my Zumo via bluetooth and then my Nokia phone to my Zumo via blue tooth. The Starcom unit is hardwired to our helmets as is my Ipod. The comms are excellent incl taking phone calls -the Zumo directions are great via bluetooth and interrupt the music long enough to hear the directions. No complaints at all.

Rich
PS one post in support of starcom !! :beerjug:

I tried Autocom and it just wouldn't work with the phone, even after being told it would and spending more money, so went to Interide, full system including the Wintec radio and aerial and it ALL works perfectly.

Interide, gets my vote :thumb2

Contrary with what Autocom says, Bluetooth doesn't have problems because of the technology. There have been badly defined profiles in Bluetooth, but with the bigger BT headsets, Scala and CellularLine/BlueAnt/SuperMoto, there are no big problems. The issues people have are more related to e.g. sound level. But the BT problems people have are with 3rd party devices, specially the GPSs. Both Garmin and TomTom have problems, and the problem seem to be with the GPS, not the head sets.

As for having a complete BT offering, including stereo music, bike to bike, etc, have a look at AKE. They are like Autocom, wit a central comms device, and BT to your helmet.

I'm waiting for a set for a review.

Well that looks like just the ticket!
I'd be interested to hear how good they are when you test it.
It's all starting o get a bit hazey again!

Well that looks like just the ticket!
I'd be interested to hear how good they are when you test it.
It's all starting o get a bit hazey again!

I've had 2 other manufacturers contact me. They're getting ready for testing, and want to know if I could test their product. It's still on the QT, but guess round Xmas they'll launch.

I have an oldish Autocom system, fully wired, that works well. And I have certainly experienced Bluetooth connectivity issues with technology that is nothign to do with my bike. But, one of the guys that works for me recently acquired a couple of the Nolan Bluetooth helmets. He has bluetooth rider-pillion comms, bluetooth interface to a Tom Tom Rider, and bluetooth connection with his Nokia 'phone - all seamlessly. He also runs an iPod through the system, but he connects this with a wire.

My conclusion is that some suppliers seem to have cracked it!

Well it's done now.......
Just ordered an Autocom AVI Pro Duo (Kit 300) with bluetooth adapter, Type B headsets and coiled extensions. All in and delivered for £347 which having scratched around the net is a pretty good deal.
Chainspeed dot Com. 01994 484 428. I spoke to a chap called Sam (he said he used to be Sales Manager at Autocom itself). Very well informed chap and very friendly and highly recommended.
Chris.

Thats good news, yeah Sam did use to work here and trianed me up when I first started. Hes a good lad and I still chat to him pretty much daily if he has problems or ordering questions etc

Back
Top Bottom