which ????

enabb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
All you lucky owners of GPS, would youy buy the same one again, or go for a diffrent one ??.

Purchase imminent so any input appriciated !

sp 3 favourt,
176c maybe,
196 looks tempting but no colour screen, would this matter ?

wot do ya think ?

:D :D :D

Everything in life is a compromise......Xtreks are too small and dont support routing. GPS V only has 19Meg memory. SP111 is too large, you cant slip it in your pocket and walk fells.

I have the GPS V as it lets me do most things.

If I only used a GPS in the car or bike then the SP111 might have been my choice.

I hope this helps.

Had a GPS V loved it to bits but got fed up changing the maps as I found the 19Meg's a big restriction.

Traded up to an SPIII for the memory mainly, this is a big fave of the Mrs and she often takes it in the car. I think its a bit big on the bike and doesn't have the versatility of the GPS V in terms of true portability and user configuration.

So I've just bought myself a secondhand GPS III to give me the bits I was missing.

I have no exerience of the 176/196 so I can't compare them to mine I'm afraid.

With the release of the new SP 2150/2160 the SPIII's price is falling and can be had from as 'little' as £700.

My 1st GPS with a mapping display was the E-Trex Vista. A really good unit. But as has been said before, it is too small for the bike with my 47 year old eye sight. Ideal for trecking or finding your way around city. With 24MB memory it's better than the GPSV as well.
I splashed out on a SPIII last year and it really is the dogs whatsits. Well worth it. I would certainly buy another. The new 2610 or whatever it's called is no better and costs the earth. so I'd recommend the SPIII.
I looked at the 176 and the 196 before opting for the SPIII. I rejected them on the ground of overall size, no colour and to get everything you need it/they cost more than the SPIII.
Hope that helps.

I've a 176c and am very pleased with it.

Don't underestimate the benefits of having a large screen like the 176, it makes creating routes away from a PC - like when you're on holiday - easy.

Screen refresh rate is very much quicker than my III+.

The 19MB memory of the V is not really enough. The 176 takes memory cards and will allow many more maps to be stored. 19MB may be enough if you never travel far from home, but why would you need a GPS then.
If you've no laptop to take with you then the 19MB is too small.

The 176 has no auto route ability, but the 196 does. The 196 is quite abit more expensive than the 176 as and as far as I know the only difference is auto routing. IMO the AR on the 196 isn't worth the extra cost. I manage just fine using GOTO.

Russ.

Go for the best you can afford................

You will only end up getting the more expensive model eventually anyway :( I did :mad:

Went from III+ to Navigator..........no contest!!

CC

:cool:

Thanks for the input,

Recon i,ll end up with a sp3, but will check out a 176 first, wil probley use it in the car as much as on me bike !

must have new toy, must have new toy, must have nnnn

Cheers

:D :D :D :D :D

Think he means went from a Garmin III plus to a StreetPilot.......

Sp111 bought from cost co today, WOW!,

Trouble was the hundred quidish I saved by going there was spent twice over by her in doors !,

" oowerr we,ll have to come here again look at all the bargins i,ve got
ho did you get wot you were after dear! ah thats nice, I just want to look
over there at the coats and shoes again,?

Well and truly shot my self in the foot me thinks !

:( :(

Back
Top Bottom