Topo Great britain...

Onahi

The Equalizer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ive just received this and installed it on my laptop and 60CS. Im very pleased with the detail. Although I can only upload 56MB of data at any one time to the unit, it is enough. I will just upload the map tiles as I need them. But, all in all, im impressed. And I got it for only £69.00 GPSW are selling the same item for £150.00:ee

Attachments

• sc-mapsourcexl.jpg
    sc-mapsourcexl.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 228
very nice Onahi but

:hide any chance we could share details as to where you got it from at such a good price?:nenau
Ta! :thumb

It may be worth looking for a bit torrent because a little birdy told me Topo does not need an unlock code:augie

It may be worth looking for a bit torrent because a little birdy told me Topo does not need an unlock code:augie

I got an eight digit code with the DVD, which, when I installed on the laptop, it leads me to the Garmin website, which, through "My Garmin" I had to get a 25 digit unlock code. (What a palaver!) So, you do indeed need an unlock code.
I did try and search for Topo through my file sharing programme, but I knew it isn’t the software, its unlock code you get from Garmin. They aint stupid:D

I got if from these guys. And, I ordered it at 3pm yesterday, it arrived today at 0930:thumb

Attachments

• SAVE4LOGO2.gif
    SAVE4LOGO2.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 202
Its 89.99 from them now! Whats it like. dose it have as much off road detail as the OS landranger maps?

Is it worth it?

I did check before I posted this and it does look like they have upped the price on it:confused:
IMHO it was well worth the money, in fact, I would have paid the price the GPSW were listing it at. That said, I do allot of mountain climbing and walking off into the Oloo, so it is a great addition to my navigation equipment. The maps show great detail. Footpaths for example, out in the middle of Dartmoor, which I know are there. Also, the detail is very good for water, streams, rivers, dikes and ditches even.
Richie, the Topo Great Britain doesn't cover Ireland. Just England, Scotland and Wales. Im not sure if it is available.

Topo GB Coverage

Attachments

• pt-greatbritainmap.jpg
    pt-greatbritainmap.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 150
To check for your self if the maps are worth it,check an area you know on the Garmin Map viewer: http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/ontheTrail/

Personally I think they are cr@p and thats after the price has been reduced from around £150 to the price they are today but I guess that I have been spoilt by Memory Map 1:25000 on my Pda .
If anyone uses Garmin Topo ,make sure you have the latest firmware on your unit .

Dave

I got my 60CSX, a 2Gb card and Topo GB for 309 from Blokesuff. The topo maps take a bit of getting used to, but I really like it. The whole of the uk topo data fits on the 2Gb card.

I use it for walking, mainly in Wales and when I get back home to Scotland. Not tried it on the bike, but the "highway" screen works quite well in the car.

I got my 60CSX, a 2Gb card and Topo GB for 309 from Blokesuff. The topo maps take a bit of getting used to, but I really like it. The whole of the uk topo data fits on the 2Gb card.

I use it for walking, mainly in Wales and when I get back home to Scotland. Not tried it on the bike, but the "highway" screen works quite well in the car.

Jon, that is one thing I regret, I bought my 60CS when they were first launched, it was a while after that they saw the need for the extra memory port. However, I can fit enough map tiles to cover a large area that I will be working in. The highway navigating ill leave for my 2720.
I like it too:thumb

Thanks for that i have been thinking of these for hiking.

I love mine hiking. I can load all of the topo maps and a dozens of walks for each areas I'll be in onto the unit then spend a week in Scotland without ever needing to go near a computer again.

One thing to point out, The topo maps are an after thought from Garmin. As far as I can tell, the topo data in the unit is only a graphical representation on the screen. The unit does not seem to use the elevation data in any way and still relies on the GPS or barometric elevation data. You can calibrate the barometric sensor, but only by choosing to use the GPS elevation or manually entering the data. I.e. there is no way to calib rate the barometric sensor using your current 2D fix and the topo data. That's not a big issue for me though as I'm not hugely interested in the absolute elevation, the big value for me is to be able to see contours and features on the screen.

If you are going to be using it in in England or Wales then it works well with either Walkign World or Trail Routes to download path details into Memory map.

Finally, don't bother paying extra for the EU basemap as all the basemaps are useless anyway. You can fit all of Topo GB and all the land masses from Garmin Worldmap on a 2Gb stick.

I reccomend it.
Jon.

Back
Top Bottom