Unsolicited Microsoft Software Update

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This is a copy of an unsolicited Email I received yesterday, apparently from Microsoft. Can anyone confirm it's genuine? My concern is that it's an update of part of my security system.....

Mike :confused:

Copy Begins:

Microsoft All Products | Support | Search | Microsoft.com Guide
Microsoft Home

Microsoft Client

this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to maintain the security of your computer from these vulnerabilities. This update includes the functionality of all previously released patches.

System requirements Windows 95/98/Me/2000/NT/XP
This update applies to MS Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and later
MS Outlook, version 8.00 and later
MS Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later
Recommendation Customers should install the patch at the earliest opportunity.
How to install Run attached file. Choose Yes on displayed dialog box.
How to use You don't need to do anything after installing this item.

Microsoft Product Support Services and Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Technical Support web site. For security-related information about Microsoft products, please visit the Microsoft Security Advisor web site, or Contact Us.

Thank you for using Microsoft products.

Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from an unmonitored e-mail address and we are unable to respond to any replies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The names of the actual companies and products mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners.

Contact Us | Legal | TRUSTe
©2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Statement | Accessibility

DON'T DO IT!!!

The *.exe attachment is a virus according to my Norton Antivirus software that picked it up as it came into my Outlook.

I have to say it's a pretty convincing looking email but I'm confident that microsoft don't email customers with patches, it's up to you to do the online windows updates.

HTH

Adam

Thanks Adam, :thumb

the attachment was caught in my net as well. The reason I was unsure is that I recently (last 3 days) downloaded updates from the Help & Support website & wasn't sure if it was some kind of follow up to that.

Think I'll delete it to be on the safe side........

Mike:)

Msoft will never solicit a windows update by email.

You recieved a copy of the virus I-Worm/Swen.

Only update your version of windows using the utility available either through my computer or the tools menu of internet explorer.

As a general rule, never open an attachment to an email.

If you are expecting an attachment from someone then save the file to your computer and scan it using a recently updated virus checker.

You can get a free virus checker from www.grisoft.com where you can also read info about viruses and download instruction on how to remove them.

I tell all my customers, there's only ONE rule in the internet.... NEVER, EVER DOWNLOAD A FILE YOU HAVE NOT REQUESTED !!

So if you get a photo from your mother, check with her if she did send it. If you get a file sent to you from Tony Blair, destroy it.

As long as you follow that simple rule, you will not get invected. Virus are in files not in messages.

And correct, Micro$oft will never send you a patch, you need to get it on their web site.

Mike O said:
This is a copy of an unsolicited Email I received yesterday, apparently from Microsoft. Can anyone confirm it's genuine? My concern is that it's an update of part of my security system.....

Mike :confused:

Copy Begins:

Microsoft All Products | Support | Search | Microsoft.com Guide
Microsoft Home

Microsoft Client

this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to maintain the security of your computer from these vulnerabilities. This update includes the functionality of all previously released patches.

System requirements Windows 95/98/Me/2000/NT/XP
This update applies to MS Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and later
MS Outlook, version 8.00 and later
MS Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later
Recommendation Customers should install the patch at the earliest opportunity.
How to install Run attached file. Choose Yes on displayed dialog box.
How to use You don't need to do anything after installing this item.

Microsoft Product Support Services and Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Technical Support web site. For security-related information about Microsoft products, please visit the Microsoft Security Advisor web site, or Contact Us.

Thank you for using Microsoft products.

Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from an unmonitored e-mail address and we are unable to respond to any replies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The names of the actual companies and products mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners.

Contact Us | Legal | TRUSTe
©2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Statement | Accessibility

Be aware the W32.SWEM virus is delivered as a Microsoft Update, this was released on the 18 September 2003, and will totally takes control of your PC, also Microsoft DO NOT send emails with updates.

I spent last Friday sorting out some MOD PC's with this virus, it really sucks.

If you do get infected with this virus, use a program fron Mcafee's called stinger wich will remove the virus and a file called fixswen.inf which will return controll of your PC to you.

Mick

Thanks Mike

I've recently had a few of these after loading Norton Internet Security and thought it was due to me registering the software ....until I remembered that I have yet to register it. I was lucky and deleted them for good measure but have been unsure as what to do, well now I know for sure!!

regards

AndyT:cool:

I have received same.
Very convincing, but I was unsure and went instead to the MS website. There was a note there that said - as others have - we do not send updates by email.
A narrow squeak:eek: :eek:

As most of you are probably using an illegal copy of MS Windows do you honestly think MS would be sending you and email to help you stop getting problems.....I think not :D I of course only use fully legal paid up software . :p

Gecko said:
As most of you are probably using an illegal copy of MS Windows do you honestly think MS would be sending you and email to help you stop getting problems.....I think not :D I of course only use fully legal paid up software . :p

By an odd quirk of fate, my copy of XP is legal :D

By the way, I met this chap in France - any relation?

Mike

Attachments

• gecko.jpg
    gecko.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 84
I contacted Microsoft UK about it, after Norton picked it up. Interestingly it's coming to an old e-mail aadress I no longer use. I've been getting it every day for the last 3 days........
Anyway, they replied with the following;

Thank you for contacting Microsoft ® with your query regarding a suspect e-mail.

The e-mail you received has an attachment that is potentially a virus, and does not come from Microsoft. Microsoft never distributes software by e-mail.

There is a new virus on the loose called W32.Swen@mm or Worm.Automat .AHB. It arrives as an e-mail purporting to be a security Update from Microsoft with an attached executable file that it urges the user to run, or alternatively as a mail delivery failure report from qmail or similar, also with an attachment. Under no circumstances should you run these attachments. Delete them as described in the Microsoft web page given below.

The text of the mail is quite impressive as it blends a mixture of links to genuine Microsoft sites throughout the text. The virus first emerged a couple of years ago, but has resurfaced. The security update purports to be a Microsoft Patch issued in September or some similar date.

Microsoft Web page on the virus.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/virus/alerts/swen.asp

Symantec ® Web page on the virus
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.swen.a@mm.html

Symantec Removal Tool for those who have been infected.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.swen.a@mm.removal.tool.html

Thank you for reporting the virus. As you probably suspected, this did not originate from Microsoft. It's unfortunate that some people have chosen to abuse the freedom that the Internet offers.

Microsoft® does try and investigate the source of these hoaxes and take appropriate action. However, many times the hoaxers take elaborate steps to shield their true identities and we cannot identify them. Privacy and security are very important to us here at Microsoft, and we work every day to build great software for the Internet that keeps information safe, secure and private.

I trust the above information is of benefit to you. If you require further help do contact us by email or on 0870 60 10 100. The lines are open from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm Monday to Friday. Telephone traffic is at its lowest early in the morning.

I trust this answers your question. If we can be of any further assistance please contact us on 0870 60 10 100 Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm, e-mail us or visit www.microsoft.com/uk for all your information and support needs.
Microsoft highly recommends that users with internet access update their Microsoft software to protect against viruses and security vulnerabilities. The easiest way to do this is to visit the following website: http://www.Microsoft.com/protect

Regards,

Barry Cahill
Customer Service Professional
Microsoft Customer Services

Mike O said:
By an odd quirk of fate, my copy of XP is legal :D

By the way, I met this chap in France - any relation?

Mike

Looks like the wife :D

Back
Top Bottom