PDA

View Full Version : Tried the right forum but no success so asking here now.

VAL. H.
29-07-07, 18:33
The British Army two stroke 250 Can-Am Bombardier circa 1980.

Any one got any experiance of these?

Any info greatfully received.

Cheers Val.

Dahoum
29-07-07, 18:37
1200 technical section's not the place either Val -

I've moved it here - you may get more of a response :thumb2

Timpo
29-07-07, 19:00
Is this any use:-

http://www.militarycan-am.co.uk/

Timpo.

Monsieur
29-07-07, 20:45
Based in Hounslow 1980-1983. Rode a couple of military green canams...can't remember much though they were pretty easy to ride. I thought we had the 350cc bikes - maybe not.

Lo-IQ
29-07-07, 21:12
there was a bloke who took one on the south american rally (rally of the andees?) back in the early 80's I've got his book someplace will try and find it.

it was that solo ride which inspired me to do some of my stupid at times (on hindsight) trips

VAL. H.
29-07-07, 21:47
Thanks for the responce guys :thumb2

there was a bloke who took one on the south american rally (rally of the andees?) back in the early 80's I've got his book someplace will try and find it.

it was that solo ride which inspired me to do some of my stupid at times (on hindsight) trips

Sounds interesting :mmmm

I'd be interested to hear more of this guy. Do you know his name?

Dee Tee
30-07-07, 16:21
What sort of info are you after ? Spares,running costs,regular faults ? It might give us an idea where to point you.

VAL. H.
30-07-07, 17:44
What sort of info are you after ? Spares,running costs,regular faults ? It might give us an idea where to point you.

Hi, I'm looking for all the info I can get. IE: am I waisting my time and will end up with an unreliable bike that will be a thorne in my side or are they actualy quite good?

Do they have any go in them or will I allways be wanting more? I have read they are good for 80 plus, so I recon it'll be ok on road but what about trail riding and doing the odd steep slope etc.

I think 'Regular faults' is a good starting place though :thumb2

Cheers Val.

Lo-IQ
30-07-07, 17:53
I'd be interested to hear more of this guy. Do you know his name?

had a bit of a look more cr4p in loft than I thought... as for his name no idea all I remember was he went to take part in a proper rally so there must be site for that sort of info he went as a privateer, no sponsorship, a rough idea but not real expirience in off-roading, rallies, raids etc. not enough tools, back up, very few spares.

He came back and wrote a book about it must have been around 82-84ish...... had some really rough pictures in when he was stuck in a rainstorm hell jungle s41t-hole! as the rally was average to badly organised.

Dee Tee
30-07-07, 19:03
Start at www.militarycan-am.co.uk
OOPS,missed that Timpo had posted same link

We seem to have a fair few Ex Forces Members,could they shed any light ? If the Military used them,they must have been fairly rugged and reliable.

One just went on e-bay for 390.Needed a bit of tidying but seemed a decent project as it was declared a runner.

VAL. H.
30-07-07, 22:45
Start at www.militarycan-am.co.uk (http://www.militarycan-am.co.uk)
OOPS,missed that Timpo had posted same link

We seem to have a fair few Ex Forces Members,could they shed any light ? If the Military used them,they must have been fairly rugged and reliable.

One just went on e-bay for 390.Needed a bit of tidying but seemed a decent project as it was declared a runner.

Got out bid in last three seconds :( Taking into account travelling to collect, it would have cost over 500 including collection.

spm0912
31-07-07, 12:01
I had use of one whilst on exercise over a 6 week period. It was subject to loads of abuse and all it needed was a wack with a hammer to fix. However I still carry the scars from trying to start the bitch. L/H kickstart only with the pannier frame fitted = gouged calf muscles.

timeandtide
31-07-07, 21:24
The British Army two stroke 250 Can-Am Bombardier circa 1980.

Any one got any experiance of these?

Any info greatfully received.

Cheers Val.

Started on one of these when I came back to biking in 1990. Very robust and solid and good to learn offroad skills on. Easier to kick over than Armstong MT 500 which I had later but I did have to have engine rebuilt. Seem to remember reading an account of some event in Falklands where forces guys were using Bombardiers and rated them highly!

paddy
14-08-07, 19:07
I would buy the MT 500 or HD 350 if you want a Military bike from my memory going back to the late 80's Canams were rubbish the lights as most 2 strokes were not up to the job. I did,nt rate them one bit although they were lightweight compared to the Armstrong.

Take my advice say clear.

Lo-IQ
14-08-07, 19:13
It was an amstrong that matey did the rally on, got that wrong.... oooops...:augie

still can't find the book either

North
24-08-07, 10:24
Can-Am were high-end dirt bikes back then (In Canada).:thumb Compared to honda, yamaha, etc.