Too good?

Hookster

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
HD8 . In t'Western Riding of Yorkestersershire
Well I've been a bit quiet lately because I took Red Stan's advice and went to see the YAM lot at Squires one Saturday morning. I was returning to biking after a break of about 5 years and I found it a real eye opener. One or two GS guys there too, one even has a Lime Green 1100 but we wont hold that against him. I can only say that it is quite enlightening to go on an observed ride and listen to an impartial critique of your riding. Most people say 'Na, feck that, I've been riding for x years, what do I have to learn?' I can only say what I found and it was = sh*t loads. :augie

Every Saturday morning (at Squires) and Weds at some other place.

http://www.yamonline.org.uk For more info'.

If you're too good for it; well done! If your just a bit interested, pop along and meet some people who are interested in helping you stay safe.

Hooky

Hi there,

:thumb Well done that man for attending YAM and hopefully you will proceed to passing your IAM test-(at the least it will hopefully get your insurance premiums down, if nothing else).:thumb

We are in need of new candidates so the more the merrier on a Saturday morning or Wednesday evening

Come along everyone and give it a try-it is a good group with anywhere from 40-100 bikers with one aim in mind, to ride safe and get to the destination in one piece.

I am probably biased as I am one of them observers (voluntary) so come along and give it a go.

GARFIELD2

Hiya Dicky - Weds is at the Burger King at Clifton Moor - Not been to a Wednesday though cos it doesn't fit my routine when at work. Can't see a time though but will ask for you.

More info here

http://www.yamonline.org.uk/AboutUs.htm

I can say for sure you'd be made welcome and none of the comments or feedback, that have been made to me have been in any way preachy or destructive. Though

Best wishes

Hooky

That is good to hear but all need to do now is to recruit new associates as they we are getting low on numbers--Come along and give it a go.

Neil

What time Sat?

Can anyone advice what time this starts on Sat morning from Squires?...Ta

Cascat
If you get there at about 9.00am you will find quite a few people milling around. The group is split into teams, and each team has it's own white board where each member of that team who is present puts there name on it. If you approach somebody near one of the white boards they will introduce you to an observer who will then look after you and sort you out with a taster session to give you an idea what it is all about. I won't be there for a couple of weeks due to work commitments, but if you enjoy it and sign up I will no doubt see you there before the season is up.
Hope this helps.:thumb
Steve

Thanks Steve,
Just checked the http://www.yamonline.org.uk/AboutUs.htm site which doesn't show observed rideouts from Squires this Sat (4th Aug) instead it has an event in York???

Do you know if the Squires rideout will still happen on Sat?:nenau

Thanks again.

DOH!!!:blast

Please ignore the above........thats where we'll be going....:eek:

Hope to see a few there:thumb2

Hi Hookster,

I was there on a red 1200gs. It was nice to get out with an Associate and have some decent weather for a change.:bounce1

I saw various GS's what were you riding and how did you get on?:hide:gringo

G2

Hi Garfield

I have a yellow 1150 and I had to support an Observer plus his Observer (as he was up for re-certification or whatever it is) This situation is not unusual for me as 8 out of the 10 observed rides I've done have been like this. Still, I don't mind as I don't suffer from nerves as such. Well, not where this lark is concerned anyway. I'm at the stage where I've had an Internal (ooh er Missus, don't titter) Pre Test Assessment and am supposed to be doing the 90 mins no stop bit now to prep for a PTA etc.

Cracking day out yesterday too with 3 GS's and a KTM Adv S (sadly only the BMW's broke down so we couldn't crow about how good they are etc. Which reminds me, I need a new indicator stalk before next week, s'cuse me whilst I pop over to for sale and wants :)

Hooky (AKA Steve Hookham on the Croft board)

I feel I should point out (in order to maintain balance) that other groups are available. SAM meet at the McD's Meadowhell retail park on Sat mornings at 9am. It doesn't matter what group you attend the aim of them all is the same ie to help motorcyclists survive

Hi Splink,

Good to hear about the Sheffield goup, do they have a website.

Also is it possible for any individuals to join you if there is a ride out into the Peak District as achange of scenery?

How many people do you have every week?

So many questions!!!

G2

Well I've been a bit quiet lately because I took Red Stan's advice and went to see the YAM lot at Squires one Saturday morning. I was returning to biking after a break of about 5 years and I found it a real eye opener. One or two GS guys there too, one even has a Lime Green 1100 but we wont hold that against him. I can only say that it is quite enlightening to go on an observed ride and listen to an impartial critique of your riding. Most people say 'Na, feck that, I've been riding for x years, what do I have to learn?' I can only say what I found and it was = sh*t loads. :Augie

Every Saturday morning (at Squires) and Weds at some other place.

http://www.yamonline.org.uk For more info'.

If you're too good for it; well done! If your just a bit interested, pop along and meet some people who are interested in helping you stay safe.

Hooky

:rob Ive being off the site for some time ( family crisis) but HOOKSTER is right JUST GIVE IT A TRY the r1100 is riden by cedrick you,v got it he,s not young but can he ride (hookster :thumb2:clap c u around:roll)

Blues and Tues(day)

It doesn't matter what group you attend the aim of them all is the same ie to help motorcyclists survive

Yep, true, and on that note me, Mrs Hooky and a mate and his wife had a lovely ride out last night from Garforth, past Squires, Cawood, Selby, Melbourn, Pocklington, Warton, Wetwang (for Fish and Chips), Fridaythorpe, blast down Garroby Hill and back via A64, Towton, Lotherton.

All fine and dandy until at about 9.45 we were approaching Garforth via the S bends near J47 M1 on the B1217 when we saw the blue flashing lights in the distance. As we approached at a much steadier pace I noticed a woman walking back out onto the road from a field where it looked like she'd been to be sick. She looked a bit shaken but the car she was with or in was unmarked, so maybe first on the scene. I wove through what may or may not have been innards or very fresh roadkill while the ambulance men were attending to somebody on a stretcher by covering them up. Just a few yards down the road, watched by a policeman, were the unrecognisable remains of a bike.

We were waved through and discouraged from stopping. Who knows what had transpired only minutes before.

As we pulled up at home and said our goodbyes the mood had cooled somewhat to the earlier elation that a good ride brings. A bedtime prayer was said for the wellbeing of an unknown biker.

Is this all bollocks? Probably. Will I have put it out of my mind next time I ride? Hopefully. I think the best thing I can say is, do what works for you and stay as safe as you can.

Hooky

Hi Splink,

Good to hear about the Sheffield goup, do they have a website.

Also is it possible for any individuals to join you if there is a ride out into the Peak District as achange of scenery?

How many people do you have every week?

So many questions!!!

G2

Hello garfield2 sorry for the slow reply: rolleyes: .

1st yes they do have a web site http://www.sheffieldiambike.com/

2nd I'm not sure if your supposed to be a member or an associate of the IAM to join in on an organised ride out however I'm sure if you turn up you'll be made to feel welcome and find out.

3rd Every Saturday there are over 30 bikes and usually many more.

the club night is the first Monday of the month at the Davy Sports Club on Price of Wales Rd in Sheffield.

Back
Top Bottom