What to set average speeds at?

squid

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been done in detail before. Just loaded the software on for my new and first Garmin (Quest1)

On the options you can specify what you think will be the average speeds on different types of road.

Wondering what people have tested out to be realistic.

It's for a trip around Scotland / Orkney /Shetlands etc.

Planning the route now via the mapping on PC.

Steady touring pace.

Also, I've sust out adding the way points which gives a total time and distance for the route but how do you get it to break it down between waypoints?

Thanks Rob

Just used the Quest on my way to work this morning,

Struggled to meet the estimated time of arrival even though the roads were fairly clear.

Sorry if this has been done in detail before. Just loaded the software on for my new and first Garmin (Quest1)

On the options you can specify what you think will be the average speeds on different types of road.

Wondering what people have tested out to be realistic.

It's for a trip around Scotland / Orkney /Shetlands etc.

Planning the route now via the mapping on PC.

Steady touring pace.

Also, I've sust out adding the way points which gives a total time and distance for the route but how do you get it to break it down between waypoints?

Thanks Rob

I wouldn't worry about the speeds, as you can only do what you can do on any given day.

The times between waypoints can be found in the directions list on the chosen route.

Just used the Quest on my way to work this morning,

Struggled to meet the estimated time of arrival even though the roads were fairly clear.
I usually find my Quest to quite accurate in this respect although I do tend to steer clear of towns and cities wherever possible. Lags behind but usually only by 5 or so minutes at most over an hour journey. An urban commute route will invariably be way off the mark, it's surprising how much of an impact even light traffic has on the ETA when compared travelling at your own pace.

I'm not sure what effect the settings in MapSource will have on routes transfered the Quest, I doubt if they have any whatsoever.

re effect on the unit itself - I did wonder unless the data in the route re-sets that in the device.

It's just nice to be ahead of time rather than always behind!

I used a Medion satnav for a car trip from UK to Switzerland, the ETA ended up around 4 hrs out. No big deal except I'll be catching at least 6 ferries on this trip.

Much rather be early then late:blast

Just using it to plan the stop of points - quite impressed with it so far though:thumb

The initial Time of arrival can't be that accurate as the routing in the Q1 calculates it by the road speeds which are too fast.To check this out when next on the road set your unit data boxes to "distance to next" and "time to next" and divide them out to give the average speed allowed for each road type...some single track roads show the same time per mile as better "B" roads.

This is why there are so many threads on the forums with people complaining about Garmin units routing down single track roads when there are better roads available but are slightly longer to the destination.
When you are nearing your destination the arrival time appears more accurate as it is being constantly updated

Edit : The ETA in a route calculated on a Pc with mapsource should be more accurate if you have set the road speeds to a realistic level but once in the unit, as bumpkin says, is not used .

Dave

Back on PC now, so I can see the times in the directions list but it shows times for each instructed turn.

Can I see times between waypoints or Via points without manually adding all the turns together - there is bleedin loads of em?

The reason is in order to break the trip up into stop overs.

The reason is in order to break the trip up into stop overs.
If that's overnight stopovers then do a separate route for each day, more flexible should you want to amend the route and recalcs are faster if you have that enabled.

That makes sense.

I had plotted it in 3 parts. Part one is to be 3 days long so my aim was to fit the most interesting route I could into each day without it becoming uncomfortable.

Surprised it doesnt give a time between waypoints - would seem logical to me.

Ah, got it. I see, when you split the route it treats it a segments instead of 3 different ones:bow

To answer your original question. I have my speeds set at :-
Int State Hwy = 67
Maj Hwy = 55
Other Hwy = 45
Col Rds = 30
Res St = 20
I always seem to be able to beat the ETA given on the GPS unit. I like it that way because the ETA then becomes the worst case scenario.

I'm not sure what effect the settings in MapSource will have on routes transfered the Quest, I doubt if they have any whatsoever.

I'm not so sure. In my Street Pilot 3, the time that the route is going to take is shown along side the No of waypoints and the mileage of that route, and it is the same, so it is transfered from the PC to the unit. My Ave speed for motorways is set at 67mph on the PC in Mapsource and I've checked that the ETAs are pretty accurate if I'm cruising at around 70.
It'll need an experiment (if anyone can be bothered) by setting the PC speed at first to a rediculously low ave. and then to a rediculously high ave. and see if they make a difference on the same route.

I drove to Wales in the car - 100miles on winding roads. The Quest was about 15min optimistic in both directions (diff routes).

I'd guess then it would be about right pressing on with a bike.

I too am aiming for a worse case ETA. The reason for the question is we will be following the coast road as much as possible around Scotland.

When we did the same thing around Ireland it took ages to get anywhere. Great though.

I drove to Wales in the car - 100miles on winding roads. The Quest was about 15min optimistic in both directions (diff routes).

I'd guess then it would be about right pressing on with a bike.

I too am aiming for a worse case ETA. The reason for the question is we will be following the coast road as much as possible around Scotland.

When we did the same thing around Ireland it took ages to get anywhere. Great though.

What speeds do you have it set at?

Back
Top Bottom