route planning on sp111

The Foolish Fellow

Reaction score
how does one get a route worked out on the sp111 from 2 points not including your present location
eg recently on holiday there were quite a few occasions where i wanted to get a route(s) worked out for the following days riding
instead of waiting an annoyingly long time for the sp111 to work it out.(5 - 10 mins). This is not a problem from home as you have thew mapscource on the pc. The only way that i could work out to achieve this was to use via points.

The new streetpilot will be welcome if it can speed up the time taken to calculate and re-calculate routes.

AFAIK you can't. The only way to achieve what you describe is to take a laptop with you, or use via points, which, as you've found already, is a very non-exact tool to plan a route.

Planning before you go & saving extra routes in the SPIII is another possibility - but cuts down the flexibility (which is one of the main advantages of using the GPS in the first place).

Personally, I take a laptop along....

Mike:)

routing

Welcome to the wonderful world of Garmin.
In short you can't, it only routes from where you are at present to the destination you choose. You need to plan ahead by the computer software provided, and unless you have a laptop your stuck with single routes from where you are.

John

Remember, the speed of route calculation can be altered by choosing one of the calculation options. i.e.
1/ Quickest calculation.
2/ Quick calc.
3/ Better route.
4/ Best route.
Page 43 in the book. I've found that the route by 1 is not too different from 4. I've never timed the difference though.
I'm thinking that if you used point A to C via B you would get a route from B to C. So long as you're not too far away from B and used option 1 it might not take too long to calculate.

Why would you want to calculate a route from point B to C though?

I believe that if you add more waypoints it potentially reduces the route calculation as it reduces the length of each possiblity in calculating the different routes. Basically shorter legs. The route calculation issue is the big reason for the new Garmin beast. Pity they did not put batteries in it...

Back
Top Bottom