tranmitting interference when radio bike powered(help)

Henski

Just went bike powered for my full comms system

Bike:- BMW 1200 GS
Autocom:- Pro 7 sport
Radio :-wintec A80
GPS :-Zumo 550

Basically it works fine for me riding when recieving but when I transmit (using Vox and again this works fine) all the people i'm with, hear me ok but also a high pitched constant interference (which does not change pitch when engine rev'd ) as loud as my voice, as soon as I stop using the bike power for the radio and go back to battery the interference stops. I started with the power module from Intaride which connects direct to the battery and the module switches the power onto the battery eliminator as soon as the engine is started and it senses a charging volatge/current , I've also tried connecting into the 1200GS auxiullary power socket and not using the Intaride power module so the radio is powered from the socket to the battery eliminator but the interference is still there, Can anyone offer any solutions to the problem. The pro 7 sport and the radio are both mounted under the seat and there are no power cable running up the side of the engine for the comms, only the GPS and this can't be the problem as when using battery power for the radio everything is fine whilst the autocom and GPS are still bike powered. any help would be appreciated

Also, does the problem only happen when the engine is running? I.e. if you have it powered by the bike but without the engine running do you get the same issue? If so it could be ripple from your regulator.

Rich, yes it is the isolated lead (the one with the rectangular box in the cabe), when i ordered it last the other week that was the one the guy at Autocom said was for that model of A80 Wintec. Should it be the other lead for the wintec without the box i need?

Rich , would fitting a ferrite bead to the power cable help do you think?

Ok mate, sounds like you have got the correct lead, I would say try the radio away from under the seat as it could be picking up the bikes interference. We always run the radios away from under the seats on the GS's as they can be pretty loud plus the lack of room etc.

Rich

If you don't locate the radio under the seat, where else is there room for them? I actually held the radio in my hand on the last test with the missus outside of the garage on a different hand held Mortorola and it was still coming through to her.The whole thing has me stumped I must admit.

I didn't try it without the engine running at the time as initially I was using the power module from intaride whihc needs the engine running to sense a charging current/voltage to switch the power onto the radio,
Do you have any suggestions either way, i'm working abraod at present and not back for a few weeks but trying to get things in place for when I get back, appologies for not replying sooner

I do think it is likely that the problem is ripple in the output voltage of the regulator. Basically this means that the voltage oscillates around the DC 4.5v component. I would expect this from a cheap swicthing regulator.

The first thing I would try is just to add some decoupling to the supply. I would add a 47uF tantalum capacitor and a 100nf ceramic cap in parralel across the supply. MAKE SURE YOU CONNECT THE TANT THE CORRECT WAY ROUND, it will have the positive side marked with a +. It doesn't matter which way round you connect the ceramic cap.

Just adding the caps is unlikley to completely solve the problem, but it will give you and indication if this is the problem. And it should cost about 20p to try.

If it were me, I would build a set the switching reg to 5 or 6v, and then build a small linear regulator with decent decoupling that would use to supply the radio. Total cost probably a few quid. Do you know anyone who is handy with a soldering iron? Alternately, where are you?

Cheers the info on the Caps, I'll have to have a think about getting it done. I'm in Newtownards in Northen Ireland, 12 miles east of Belfast.

It really is a good idea to check if the problem is the same with the engine not running, just to make sure that I am not sending you off on a wild goose chase.

There are two possible sources of the noise: the engine and the battery eliminator/regulator. Testing with the engine not runnign should help trace the source.

Next, there are two possible ways for that electrial noise to get into your radio, conductive and radiative. Moving the radio and other components as Rich suggested will help understand that.

Once we know where the noise is coming from and how it is getting into your system we can work out how to block it.

Thanks again Jon, It'll be a few weeks before I get back home and can try the suggestions but once I have I'll be back in contact.

Battery eliminator

I had this same problem on my old Yam, I tried chokes, ferrite rings, ground loop isolators all to no avail.... Turned out to be the battery eliminator for the kenwood 3101. I brought it cheap on ebay, I think there is a lesson there somewhere. :)

If you don't locate the radio under the seat, where else is there room for them? I actually held the radio in my hand on the last test with the missus outside of the garage on a different hand held Mortorola and it was still coming through to her.The whole thing has me stumped I must admit.

We never run any transceivers under the seats on the GS's as they are too loud and the lack off room. So all depending on which GS is being fitted the comms fit into the tool tray on the 1200's and on top of the air box infront of the battery on the 1150's. So this helps with getting the main comms clean.

The transceivers are then ran on person or into a tank bag. Its a tried and tested thing and the only time we see noisy GS's is when dealers have fitted the PTT's along the frame with the main wiring loom giving out a lot of interference. We run the PTT's as high as possible on the bikes to over come this problem and it also saves a lot of time. Defo on the 1200 GS's due to how quick it is to remove panels.

Rich

Yossarian, what did you end up doing to fix it then? Did you get a proper battery eliminator.

I crashed the bike..... before I had sorted it, but I did borrow a mates eliminator (a genuine Kenwood one) and that worked OK. Having said all that though, the choke did help alot, quite simple to make if you can use a soldering iron. Backing up others on here.... I always ran the transceiver away from the bike as possible in a tank bag or pannier.

Guys, I'm having exactly the same problem, also with a Wintek A80 using the Battery Eliminator.

What I can tell you is that the problem does not exist without the engine running.

Because of issues with the power sockets, I feed my radio and autocom directly from the battery, through a switch.

Proximity may be an issue as my Autocom is pretty close to my battery, my radio is however housed in my topbox, so is pretty much as far away from the bikes elecrics as is possible. Never had or do have any interference when using the unit on Battery. had Kenwoods before , again on battery , and never had any problem.

wintec

HI Matey,
try and put an audio isolating transformer across the mic pos and ground and the output from the transformer feeds the autocom mic circuit.
The wintec doesnt like the mic and speaker common grounded together, it gets all upset, as soon as you fit the battery eliminator.
also try and disconnect the autocom earth and it will ground out through the radio, but the auotcom wont work unless the a80 is in circuit.
trust me it works.
regards Paul

Sounds like an interesting solution, I'm assuming that you've had a similar issue and that you used a 1:1 transformer, any more detail on the transformer and how you fitted?

I also use my autocom for my i-pod so will have to try and see how removing the autocom earth affects the autocom when the wintec is in circuit but switched off.

Got to be worth a try!

Many Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom