is autocom working right

frank1200

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
hi just fitted an autocom 200 to my gs. i want to use to hear my quest gps and my ipod . when the music is on you can not hear the gps even though it is talking in the background.
i thought it was possible to set it up so that when gps spoke music stoped or got lower,asked a autocom deaaler and he said volune only lowers on 200 kit if a passenger speaks,is that right.
also i cannot hear anything over 35 mph which makes the whole thing useless.
is there something wrong with my set up or will i have to go back to using one at a time with ear plugs from the ipod which gives great sound on ipod or on gps whichever i want to listen to at the time,
please advise as i have heard great reports about autocom but i think mine will be on ebay soon.:confused: :confused:

hi just fitted an autocom 200 to my gs. i want to use to hear my quest gps and my ipod . when the music is on you can not hear the gps even though it is talking in the background.
i thought it was possible to set it up so that when gps spoke music stoped or got lower,asked a autocom deaaler and he said volune only lowers on 200 kit if a passenger speaks,is that right.
is there something wrong with my set up or will i have to go back to using one at a time with ear plugs from the ipod which gives great sound on ipod or on gps whichever i want to listen to at the time,
please advise as i have heard great reports about autocom but i think mine will be on ebay soon.:confused: :confused:

i fitted mine 3 weeks ago no problem you can turn up the vol on the sat nav ive got the vol on lowest setting and can hear s/nav fine you mite have to tune the vox in..all best steve:beer:

Autocom makes plenty of volume for motorway travel. (gets dodgy over 130 kph and with buffetting air)... if you aren't hearing it well, you need to check the position of the speakers... the little raised stars need to point down your earholes... (iPod at nearly full volume)

If music mutes your GPS it could be (don't have a 200) that your are putting the wrong signals into the wrong holes...

But you could also have a 'ground interference' problem...

My GPS needs a doodger called a "ground loop isolator" going to the GPS (anything hooked up to bike power actually) or it has crappy, noisy, low volume sound... Autocom sell them inside one or two of their leads... or you can go to Maplins for one... It looks like a film can with some stereo leads coming out of it.

Al...

I think you need to look carefully at the fitting instructions, as the different sockets do different things i.e gps cut out music or speak cuts music by 50 % etc etc., As to the volume in your helmet, this can be as simple as getting the fit in the right place. If the speakers are not correctly positioned like any only system(but in autocomms cases alot better than others I could mention) the volume will be crap.

I have my kit 300 fitted and comfortably chat to pillion at illegal Uk speeds and hear the GPS with ease, although I did need to turn the volume up on it a bit.

So its back to the instructions if I was you to get teh sockets right and the speakers fitted correctly.

I would say you need to check your helmet fitting becuase is 35 mph is very poor and low volume normally points the finger at the helmet not being fitted very well so the speakers are no where near your ears.

The Quests are quiet units and also what interface leads are you using and into which socket on your Active?

Rich

gps into aux 3 and ipod into aux 1 ,i got a bmw and autocom dealer to fit the helmet speakers and check leads etc. charged lots but one speaker was hurting the top of my ear on way home (diffo not in the right place) even with quest on full volume i could hardly know it was making noise over ipod.
do i need a amp or similar for gps.
i will try to refit speakers myself and see

Well thats your problem mate, you are plugging your music lead into the wrong socket, AUX 1 is for mobile phones not music so I would unplug the lead straight away before it casues any internal problems. The AUX 2 socket on your Active is designed for music. Once plugged into the correct socket your music should boom away.

As for the GPS you will need to buy some more parts to supply you the correct connect the GPS needs. So are you running the official Garmin Quest cradle or an aftermarket jobbie, if so I will need to know the size of the jack plug the connection runs so I can supply you the correct part numbers.

Rich

thanks rich. i phoned the autocom help line and have a 1285 and a 1293 cable ordered which the guy said would transform my system.am just trying to find a way of getting a set of ear plugs with speakers to suit the autocom ,as no matter how i move the standard speakers in my suberth they hurt my ears.
any ideas on that and once again thanks for the help(seems easy when you know how):thumb:thumb:thumb

With pretty much any Schuberth we fit here we compress the cheek pads back by 2-3mm so allow for our speakers to fit a bit deeper into the cheek pads. On the cheek pads you will see circles close to where the cheek straps run thru them. We compress the circles and turn them into ovals to make our speakers sit pretty much flush into the cheek pads.

This will make the helmet be a lot more comfortable to wear and the only part you wil lbe able to feel is the mic.

Rich :beerjug:

find a way of getting a set of ear plugs with speakers to suit the autocom ,as no matter how i move the standard speakers in my suberth they hurt my ears.
any ideas on that

Yes - I sell them! :) (but not in Ireland :( ) If you have some existing custom made earplugs I can either adapt them or make a new set based from them. Otherwise you could go to your local Green Leopard agent who is:

Desertmartin, Magherafelt, County Londonderry
e-mail: timothyhamilton@btinternet.com
Contact phone: 028 7963 3352 currently call between 1800 & 2100 weekdays and all day at the weekend

There are other companies who make custom earplugs with speakers in (which tend to be called 'Monitors') so shop around and make sure you get what you need.

Feel free to ask me any questions you like.

Oh - here's a pic of our air tube system (stops the cable wearing and eventually breaking when you take your helmet on and off)

OTiS-email.jpg

Riding with foam earplugs will help hear the autocom clearer. It seems to cut down on the background noise. Try it!

Gonz.

Back
Top Bottom