autocom - interide - starcom - help

gsH

Right then - in really easy to understand words please!!!

my other half has just passed her test and tells me that we want to be able to talk to each other on rides?!?

If that is true (and im not yet convinced!)
- what is the best option, I live in devon so nobody stocks anything - i need to be able to hold things to decide if they are any good - internet shopping and "we can have that here next week if you give us hundreds of pounds" really does not cut it

I have An 1150GS, she is a little person so rides a ducati M600, I break stuff - so if all i have is a nato jack plug to plug into that would be cool (dins and minijacks need not apply) I need to plug a zumo into mine and maybe a pillion, she just needs to be able to talk at me! (and maybe plug an MP3 in)

I would like to secrete the whole thing around my bike, except maybe an external ariel mounted up high, no fiddling then just plug in myself and go.

Not so much room on the monster, maybe needs to go in a pocket or tank bag.

Please help,

Starcom out because of din plugs as well - this is narrowing your options quite a lot.

Well the intaride comes with large jack plugs :augie , although I haven't tried their bike to bike set up the intercom I've got from them is good. Does everything they say it will so can't ask for much more. The backup is excellent as well, definately not a company that take your money and run :thumb , best person to speak too is David at www.intaride.com and tell him what your after. I didn't go for autocom because of price and their attitude when I approached them, glad I didn't when you look at the amount of threads on here about their systems.

Hmm what to do

Thanks for the help guys - I was only avoiding Din plugs as the amount of people saying these fall to bits, I think I will take a look at the interide, anyone with any other actuals on the interide system?
PS im not an utter numpty and im sure i could look after a din plug for at least a couple of hours - but i spent a few years in the back of helicopters and never managed to break a nato jack plug, so im not convinced of the alteratives. Thanks again to all

I had the same issue when I was buying my comm's system,

Intaride and Autocomm where both comparable, performance wise I don't feel there was enough of a difference to justify the extra money.

Starcomm seemed to get very mixed reports

So I bought the Intaride system, not used bike to bike yet but it's on the list. I'm very happy with it, the jack plugs are easy to use with gloves on, if you don't need a particular feature you can remove the lead which reduces the clutter when trying to install the system.

sound quality is good, on the occasion I've got in touch with Intaride they always answered my questions promptly,

If you have a look at this site http://www.cbr1000rr.co.uk/discounts.htm they do a discount scheme with Intaride, I don't remember the exact details but even if you had to join you still saved some money, and thats on a system thats already cheaper than Autocom and probably similar to Starcomm

If you don't want any plugs, and don't need to speak too each at great distances, use the CellularLine Interphone/Blue Ant Interphone/SuperMoto Interphone (they're all teh same product).

It's wireless, uses Bluetooth, but can communicate between 100 and 400 meters distance. No wires, no plugs.

CellularLine Product Review

I've been using my autocom din plug for pretty much every ride I've taken over the past two years... seems pretty robust to me... well rubber coated.

Al...

The Autocom DIN lugs are rubber coated and as the two halves come together there is an integral rubber molding on one half which mates with a recess on the other thus providing a waterproof seal. Forget the flimsy 5 and 7 pin DINs you might have used at school on electronic projects - these are really robust and won't fall to pieces. :rob

(GSRich - when do I get my fiver?):mmmm

I have just come back from an 8 day tour covering 2000mls. I have got an Autocom Pro 7 and the other two guys I went with both have Intaride (ones got an Evo and the other an RP1).
We had one day of fairly torrential rain over the Timmelsjoch pass, and the Intaride systems suffered badly due to water ingress into the plugs and sockets. This caused loss of comms on both bike to bike and rider to pillion.
There was evidence of water in the plugs and sockets when we took them apart. Even with WD40 librally applied it still took a couple of days drying out before all was back to normal
The Autocom worked flawlessly throughout. As previously mentioned the rubber coating on the Din plug certainly gives a good robust water tight seal.

Well if you are going to ride in the wet forget Intaride IMHO go autocomm excellent product good all round performance and no need to have monitor ear plugs to use at motorway speeds.

Both Ocean (BMW) in Plymouth and Bridge in Exeter have Autocom systems set up in their showrooms for you to play with. |Both in easy reach and the dealer support is there if you have any problems.

I think I saw Starcom set up in GT's in PLymouth but not sure.

I had an Intaride Evo system for about six months, over the winter.

The Pro Jacks are easy to connect for sure, but the large DIN plugs that Autocom use (and I guess Starcom) arent that bad - honest! The Pro Jacks will also slip out if you stand up to quick on the pegs, design feature I guess but worth knowing if you do a lot of off roading.

My Evo failed because of water ingress. The outer case isnt sealed; on my unit water ran down the power cable and destroyed some of the components.

The Pro Jack sockets do need periodic cleaning too, which can be a pita. Easy enough to do though, you just stick a small piece of wire wool inside and poke the Jack in and out... The more you use it - the more it needs doing. I had to clean mine about once a week or face the dreaded howl of a shorted audio connection.

To be quite frank, if you're looking for a bullet proof system then I can suggest no better starting point that an Autocom.

I appreciate that you would like to try before you buy, and I wouldnt want it any other way myself. I dont know about your part of the world, but there are Autocom demo booths at some bike shops in the South East - Bahnstormer have one I know, and they keep a good stock. You can get it all there on the day if you ring ahead. www.chainspeed.com is an web shop, but it is run by an ex Autocom bod who knows his onions, and gives a discount.

Have fun and choose wisely!

Mike

The Autocom DIN lugs are rubber coated and as the two halves come together there is an integral rubber molding on one half which mates with a recess on the other thus providing a waterproof seal. Forget the flimsy 5 and 7 pin DINs you might have used at school on electronic projects - these are really robust and won't fall to pieces. :rob

(GSRich - when do I get my fiver?):mmmm

In the post my friend lol

Rich :beerjug:

I have fitted my intaride system in a box under the seat which is probably why after riding through several downpours I've never had a problem, the jack plugs have been redesigned but again never had a problem with mine so see no reason to exchange them. I definately think that some common sense is required when installing the system, it's quite easy to state a system is no good when you fit like it like a biff, apparently someone fitted one of the Evo's and when the system failed because the fuse holder filled with water it was the systems fault :augie , get an Evo, fit it thinking that it might just rain one day and you won't have a problem, plus they haven't got the attitude of autocom which is why I would never buy from them. :monkeypiz
Oh and monitor type earplugs are one of the best buys you can make no matter what system you go for, anyone that rides at motorway speeds without hearing protection needs their heads (or ears) looking at. Any system will need to overcome wind noise, the faster you ride the louder it needs to be, in-ear monitors means this isn't the case, sorry if thats to much like common sense.:nenau

all good stuff thank you all.
with help it looks like ive narrowed that down to autocomm or interide then!
:nenau A pessimist, confronted with two bad choices, chooses both:nenau

After a bit more looking and phoning - interide at £500 for both bikes, in excess of £800 for the autocom, that pays for a good few miles of traveling and talking, it also stocks me up on IP67 boxes, self amalgamating tape and silicone grease!
Wise adviseadiddlydoodly on the in ear monitors cheers

other Bonus - if the interide turns out to be not so reliable I can turn it off and blame my lack of conversation on a technical fault!!

:thumb2Cheers All:thumb

Just to throw a spanner in your decision... Just found this:
http://www.bluebike.com/startseite-en.htm

all good stuff thank you all.
with help it looks like ive narrowed that down to autocomm or interide then!
:nenau A pessimist, confronted with two bad choices, chooses both:nenau

After a bit more looking and phoning - interide at £500 for both bikes, in excess of £800 for the autocom, that pays for a good few miles of traveling and talking, it also stocks me up on IP67 boxes, self amalgamating tape and silicone grease!
other Bonus - if the interide turns out to be not so reliable I can turn it off and blame my lack of conversation on a technical fault!!

:thumb2Cheers All:thumb

Strange site.. They give prices in the German section, but no idea if this is actually in production as I've never heard of it anywhere...No reviews and nothing on Google..

luckily it looks like it cant be bought - happy days
"The more alternatives, the more difficult the choice"
Cheers All

H

Back
Top Bottom