Thanks from the pipe and slipper brigade!!

con1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
thanks jockser/ dave for a great weekend from all us in the pipe /slipper brigade .:beerjug:

Best ever, weather what weather?
Really good fun, good company, thanks very much to the lads, and to Mary, James, Gary et al.

Rode back this morning, pissing rain in Sligo as far as Foxford, then sunny to Leenane (bridge is open, before yis ask), then Maam, Galway, Dublin in good time for the 1430 ferry for George, which was an hour late so we could have been around the place a bit more, ice-cream in Teddy's etc., oh well.

Cooley - Starting point for Boreen Run....

Malachy Byrne from Kilcurry, Co Louth, wading through flood waters in fields reserved for the vintage tractor world record attempt at Cooley Vintage Festival yesterday.

Attachments

• frontpageimage.jpg
    frontpageimage.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 270
Deluge fails to deter vintage festival fans
Kilian Doyle

They came in their thousands, converging on the Cooley Vintage Festival in a rain-sodden Co Louth with dreams of glory on their minds.

Theirs was a mission to retake the world record for running vintage tractors simultaneously.

The festival, which has been attracting farm machinery enthusiasts to the beautiful verdant tongue of land that is the Cooley Peninsula since 1988, took its first world record in 1995 for having 322 pre-1963 Ferguson tractors working in a field at once.

This year, tractors came from every county in Ireland, as well as 32 countries around the world, including Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

To qualify for the world records, all tractors have to be over 30 years old, dragging an implement such as a plough or harrow, and running for 15 minutes.

After days of manoeuvring, nearly 5,000 machines were finally in place yesterday afternoon, and the record bid kicked off with a bone juddering roar. Fifteen minutes later the target wasn't just beaten, it was ploughed up and spat out like last year's spuds.

A total of 4,572 tractors, from a 1903 Ivel to a plethora of 1977 Massey Fergusons, seized the record with ease - tearing up and down three mucky fields in a spectacular procession of machinery.

While dramatic from a slightly elevated vantage point on one of the few remaining bits of grass left in this 200 acre corner of Louth, it must have looked incredible from above, like a second World War tank battle or a scene from Lord of the Rings . That's assuming, of course, it could have been seen through an emissions cloud the size of Luxembourg; and then there was the noise, it was loud enough to rattle teeth.

Event co-ordinator Hugh Hardy described the scene as "biblical". A quick perusal of the Bible by The Irish Times revealed no mention of John Deere or Massey Ferguson. But we'll let it lie. We know what he means.

What was biblical, however, was the scale of the attendant deluge. The skies opened and drenched all below, turning the stubbly fields of Co Louth into welly-sucking mudbaths. But tractor fans are hardy folk.

A bit of rain wasn't going to put 25,000 off. Heads were put in bin bags, shoes were wrapped in baling plastic and the show went on.

© 2007 The Irish Times

yep, thanks to Jockser and Daithi. Ye did the Boreen proud. Well done... :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

I was getting updates on how it was going whilst I was on the Riders. Glad it went well and you all enjoyed the Boreen. The amount of work the two lads put into the run was incredible. Well done. :clap:clap:clap

I was getting updates on how it was going whilst I was on the Riders. Glad it went well and you all enjoyed the Boreen. The amount of work the two lads put into the run was incredible. Well done. :clap:clap:clap

actually i meant to add a big thanks to you Aidan for all the help you gave to Jockser and Daithi. Well done yourself :clap:clap:clap.

Jockser will get the t-shirt to you. How did the Riders Rally go?

ps I got a very positive hint that there might be a role reversal for next year's Boreen :bounce1:bounce1:bounce1

Cheers guys :thumb2 Glad youse enjoyed it.

My thanks go to :
Garfieldus, for the original idea.
Big Aidan, for the advice & help with the first part and his company on the recces
Daithi, for being a GPS god & sorting the track log so that even I could follow it. Plus the effort he put in to get to the far end of the country to do the recces. And taking & photoshopping the pics that went onto the back of the polo shirts.
And finally, to everyone who attended & made the w/e what it was.

We were blessed with the weather - only a couple of hours of drizzle on Sunday morning. Looks like it was much worse in Cooley.

And yes, I can confirm that next years Boreen will be back to front - Daithi will be leading & I'll be sweeping :D Watch this space :bounce1:bounce1

sorry about that

opps:blast .aidan forgot to mention the contribution you also made many thanks from all who enjoyed the weekend hope to see you next year

Malachy Byrne from Kilcurry, Co Louth, wading through flood waters in fields reserved for the vintage tractor world record attempt at Cooley Vintage Festival yesterday.

that guy in post #4 looks very like someone who should be in the midlands prison at the moment :eek:

All credit to Aidan and Jockser, all I did was feck around with the tracklogs, they
did all the figuring out. :clap

Well done lads, the best "Boreen Run" so far.:D Till next year !:eek

Back
Top Bottom