Kit Must haves for France/Europe

tasr12

Hi there, am off on my first trip around Europe in a couple of week. Looking like going solo so was just wondering if there are any pieces of bike kit that are required, spare bulbs, pucture repair, registration docs etc to keep the authorities happy?
Cheers.

:nenau

From the RAC website..........

Listed below are two areas for you to look through before you travel

• Items you are required to carry
  • Recommended and useful products
What you need before setting off

• A valid UK Driving Licence is required
  • A driver's minimum age is 18
  • A Camping Card International is recommended
  • A Green Card and Motor Insurance certificate is recommended. Motorists should carry evidence of motor insurance (insurance certificate). A Green Card provides additional proof that the minimum legal third party cover is held. For further advice please contact your insurance company
  • UK registered vehicles displaying Euro-plates (circle of 12 stars above the national identifier on blue background) are no longer obliged to affix a GB sticker to the rear of the vehicle when driving in France. A GB sign is still required when travelling outside the European Union
  • A crash helmet when riding a motorcycle is compulsory
  • Wearing your seat belt is compulsory
  • Motorway tolls charged
  • Petrol, diesel & LPG available. Lead replacement petrol (LRP) is available and is indiciated on pumps as "supercarburant"
  • Children under 10 are forbidden to travel in the front seat
Compulsory products

• Headlamp converters
Recommended products

• Spare bulbs
  • A fire extinguisher
  • A first aid kit
  • A warning triangle

You are required to have your bike's registration document and insurance certificate with you. You are also supposed to have a spare bulb kit and a warning triangle although i never bother with the triangle. There should also be a GB sticker on the rear of your bike. For safety sake i'd recommend a puncture repair kit and pump/inflator of some kind and being a BMW some spare engine oil!

Spare key hidden away somewhere like in your rear light.
If you fall off and are alone know the emergency phone numbers, they won't keep the authorities happy but are often overlooked.

Pretty sure the triangle is car only, not bikes...:D

Anyway here's what I take:

Passport (+photocopy)
Driving licence (+photocopy)
Bike Docs (+photocopies)
Insurance docs (+photocopies)
Travel insurance docs (make sure the insurance covers the size of bike you ride)
EHIC card
Green card if going into Spain (not really needed but better safe ...etc)
Two wallets (one with some large notes and a credit card, this is your emergency stash) The other wallet is your normal one. Don't keep them together.
Spare keys (find a good hiding place on the bike for these)
Mobile (+ a spare battery for it) (put a ICE number in it)
2 cards with all important UK numbers written on them (put one into each wallet)
Sterling, Euros etc.
Maps
Crossing details (bookings if made)
Small French dictionary
Small Spanish dictionary (if going to Spain)
Spare bulbs
Spare fuses
Small First Aid kit (Blacks etc do them)

The rest is really down to you as far as clothing, GPS's, iPods, cameras etc, etc.

Have fun

Often one of the best quick-fix spares:

Spare battery to fit your alarm/immobiliser remote control (if you have one fitted).

PG

Just to reiterate, original registration and insurance docs required in France. In view of the increased number of mobile radar traps carry at least €100 in cash to pay a fine in the event of being nicked. If you can't pay immediately you are in for major hassles and a loss of time.
Tie a ribbon on a mirror or something similar to remind you which side of the road you should be on, don't ridicule this, it is so easy to get it wrong, most seasoned travellers will agree. The danger time is when pulling out from a cafe/service station etc when ones brain goes into autopilot, we have all done it but unfortunately not all survive it.

a tip i read on this site ages ago, was to scan all your documents and then email them to yourself,
or store them on some webspace you have, then if you do lose everything for whatever reason,
you log onto the net and retrieve them from email account or webspace and print them out :thumb2

Last edited:
a tip i read on this site ages ago, was to scan all your documents and then email them to yourself,
or store them on some webspace you have, then if you do lose everything for whatever reason,
you log onto the net and retrieve them from email account or webspace and print them out :thumb2

A really good tip and can work well if needed.

If you added up all the suggestions your bike would probably be full before you put any clothes in. Take spare keys, mobile phone and charger, documents as needed, cash and plastic, good map/GPS, a sense of adventure, and most of all a sense of humour. You'll have a blast, and don't worry. Read Ted Simon's book Jupiter's Travels. It's amazing what will turn up when you need it.

Tie a ribbon on a mirror or something similar to remind you which side of the road you should be on, don't ridicule this, it is so easy to get it wrong, most seasoned travellers will agree. The danger time is when pulling out from a cafe/service station etc when ones brain goes into autopilot, we have all done it but unfortunately not all survive it.

DO it I survived, did it last Thurs coming out of a cafe near Bordeaux luckily nothing coming, but kept me awake all night when we got to La Rochelle!

The most important thing to carry when travelling in France is a corkscrew:thumb

Spare bulb kits, warning triangles and dayglow vests are NOT required in France, not for cars or bikes. It is a myth put about by ferry companies trying to sell stuff.
In the car and on the bikes, we just carry the correct documentation and our local Gendarmes have verified that this is all that is required.

Bob
http://bikesindordogne.blogspot.com/

DO NOT hide your spare key in the tool-kit. Think about it :blast

I met a guy on an 850GS in Potes in the Picos who had done just that, lost his original key and had to borrow my tyre levers to get at the spare

Tell someone you know where you have hidden the spare key, failing memory and a few passing years could otherwise lead to embarrassment:eek::blast

Spare bulb kits, warning triangles and dayglow vests are NOT required in France, not for cars or bikes. It is a myth put about by ferry companies trying to sell stuff.

True.

But in other European countries (like Austria for example) you must have them.

Wulkanger01web02.JPG

Yes a good idea, I've got the same problem when going in the UK.....

Other thing :

In France, drivers coming from the right have priority if no signs tells the opposit. In case of doubt, slow down !

Wulkanger01web02.JPG

Back
Top Bottom