Misaligned headlight

Banjaxed

Reaction score
Picked up my GS (first one) yesterday and today I noticed that the larger headlight unit is misaligned in the housing - twisted by 30 degrees or so. I'd gladly take it back to the dealer (SLM), but they're over an hour away and this week is manic for me.
Could someone tell me how to access the headlight unit and put it back in the horizontal position?
Thanks.

If you mean what I think you mean, the dipped beam, looking from the front appears rotated and you know this because a rectangular shape in the glass indicates this.

I think this is because your bike is a 'parallel import' - South London Motorcycles do import new bikes previously registered in Europe to overcome the limitations of BMWs limited allotment of machines to each dealer.

The question is - does the dipped beam throw light to the left, as it should, or to the right, as is normal in Europe. If to the left, you will not need to make an adjustment, just contact SLM and take up the issue with them as to why you weren't made aware of the provenance of the bike and satisfy yourself that the 2 year warranty in the UK is not affected.

The bike should have been set up with UK clocks and lights from the factory, but SLM probably only replaced the clock AFTER delivery from the factory to a European dealer.

A nice feature of the GS is the ability to change the throw of the dipped beam to suit left or right hand driving with a very simple adjustment, at least in theory, outlined in the Service/Technical Booklet that you will have received when you bought the bike. (more on this in a moment)

SLM probably made this adjustment on a RHD light unit and saved themselves the price of a new LHD dipped beam unit, hence the misaligned rectangle on the front of the glass.

It is not really too important that it is like this, but the ribbed glass is designed to throw the light beam in a particular way so if you are concerned and WERE NOT TOLD that this was not an official UK import before you bought it, see para 2 and stick the boot in, get the light unit changed plus a good discount on a few accessories into the bargain.

If, on the other hand the light unit is pointing to the right this is a serious issue to take up with SLM, BMW UK and ultimately the DeTR as this bike does not comply with legislation.

I am sure that they will pick the bike up with a trailer or come out and attend to this fairly quickly as I am sure that this is will have been an oversight on their part for which they will be deeply embarassed. See para 2 and contemplate even more generous concessions.

Beam throw adjustment:

I took a trip abroad on the UK bike that I bought last year and duly set about making the simple adjustment outlined in the book as soon as I boarded the ferry. Half an hour later and scratching my head I couldn't figger out why the beam unit would not rotate, and abandoned the task thinking that I had not RTFM'd enough.

I re-read the manual when I got back and the next trip I did the same thing, giving up but cursing with annoyance.

HeadlightBeamSetting.jpg

I eventually dismantled the complete light assembly back in the workshop and discovered a small plastic pin protruding out of the light unit and engaging in one of 3 holes on the light carrier/clamp.

This had ben designed to prevent rotation even though the manual states the procedure in simple terms. After trimming this plastic off, lubricating the moving faces of the lamp and clamp/carrier, everything now works as it should.

If anyone attempts to make this beam adjustment and fails, I am afraid that you will have to carry out the above procedure.

BMW huh!, the ****ers.

Back
Top Bottom