Bikesafe NI

Aidan1150

Nice but unfortunate husband.
Mod Squad
Reaction score
I called in to HG in Newry today about noon on my way home from work. There were a few police Pans parked out front and upon enquiring as to what was going on I was told that they were having a Bikesafe day.

Anyway, I got talking to one of the cops, Michael, who invited me to take a run in on the bike and he would take me out for an assessment, so I went home, had lunch and went back into Newry on the GS.

I have never undertaken any kind of riding assessment before and wasn't quite sure of what to expect but the guys were very friendly and very helpful.

Michael gave me a run through of what he would be looking for on the ride out, take off, cornering, gearchanges, braking, general observation etc. In all there are eight or nine different categories and you are marked from 1 (poor) to 4 (very good).

We discussed the route and then set off. Initially it was a wee bit weird having a fully dressed police pan running behind, but you soon don't pass much remarks on him. After a run of about 15 miles at a good brisk pace we returned to HG for the de-brief.

Michael was very complimentary regarding my riding, I passed :bounce1:bounce1 and pointed out a few wee things I should take on board. His advice was good and I will take it on board whilst riding or even when driving the car. I was then given some freebies, a T-shirt, cap, mug and key-ring.

When I said above that I had passed I didn't tell the full story. I was the best rider they had assessed today riding in the worst conditions. :eek: Kenny at HG then presented me with a pair of waterproof Goretex gloves worth £65 for being the rider of the day. :)

Michael's colleague Bill Holden said that they would be willing to hold a UKGSer Bikesafe day if enough of us were interested in going along. It would be held on a day and at a location that would suit most of us and themselves and is a very kind gesture on their part.

Question is; how many of you would be interested in going along for a UKGSer/PSNI Bikesafe assessment day? Please reply to this thread to express that interest and we will see what the guys can come up with.

Looking at their website they seem to be quite busy up until late September, so maybe the first weekend in October might suit?

Many thanks to the lads Michael and Bill for an interesting (and for me profitable) day. The Bikesafe ride out is definately a worthwhile way to spend an afternoon on your bike, plus the fact that it may even get you a 10% discount on your insurance. :)

bill holden is head of Bikesafe NI and managed to bin a brand new Blade they'd been given for this year's NW200 - v funny - one of the cops told me he insisted he'd gotten a puncture going into the roundabout ahem!

:rob Did the test last year excellent!!!

Got me extra 10% of insurance.:thumb

Add one to your list . Think they might have been at D&D today , Conlig.

Well done Aidan, that's a usefull thing to do I did mine in 2004.......the officer following me said "ride like you normally would"..........but I thought I'd better not:D:D

I did mine last year from Newtownards Police station. I too was the best rider of the day. I mean, the only rider of the day. :D Best bit was having my mentor, Neil, ride behind me on a (un-marked) K1200GT. Have to say I really enjoyed the whole session and would love to do it again.

UKGSer/PSNI Bike Safe

Congrats Aidan:thumb2

Definetley interested.Don't mind where and when as long as I have 3-4weeks notice so that I can apply for few days off work.

Bryan

Well done Aidan, congratulations :thumb2

I'd be interested, particularly if there was some kind of
additional info/training to make the spin up as worthwhile
as possible. Excellent idea.:clap

Thanks lads. :eek:

that's a usefull thing to do I did mine in 2004.......the officer following me said "ride like you normally would"..........but I thought I'd better not:D:D

Can't see a loaded pan keeping up with you Marcus. :augie

Incidentally, yours has expired now Marcus. It should be renewed every three years. So would you be up for it again?

So far the following guys are interested;

Geno

DavyF

BSD

Daithi

Any more?

Three years you say, need to do it again so put me name down,and well done too:thumb.

Question is; how many of you would be interested in going along for a UKGSer/PSNI Bikesafe assessment day? Please reply to this thread to express that interest and we will see what the guys can come up with

well done Aidan:thumb2 did the bikesafe in Dublin last year ( no freebie's ) doing it again shortly, a bit of refresher training does no harm :roll
really enjoyed being led up the bus lanes with and through heavy traffic by the traffic corps, good at what they do :thumb
one of our group failed it by passing on a solid white line outside a school :blast his Fireblade was over heating.:p

Well done Aidan :thumb2

I did it almost a year ago in Dublin. Well worth doing & the best part was it was free:clap Mind you, we only got to keep the 'Bikesafe' vest :(

I'd be up for it if 'free staters' are eligible :D

Well Done Aidan :aidan

I would definately be interested. I wonder if it would count for insurance reductions down here?
Either way, I havent done any bike training since I was on a 125 - so Im up for it.:thumb

i did the "Bikesafe" assessment yesterday the 11th of August, in dublin on the gsa. Haven't been out much on the gsa since achill. I took the bike to cork thursday evening. i was a little tired having driven from cork to waterford to wicklow and on in to dublin castle via maddocks. (gps cable €100!). the assessment took a few hours between the briefing, riding assessment and the debriefing. the bikesafe program is operated under Sgt. Kevin McNulty of the Dublin Metropolitan Traffic Corps. I had signed up for it at the bike show at the rds way back. I understand that if you contact the traffic corps at Dublin Castle your name can be added to the list. the Bikesafe program, operated by the GS, (Garda Siochana) is currently offered only in Dublin with some hope that other regional headquarters will be involved subject to interest and i assume funding/allocation of resources.
The traffic corps guys and girls were great, friendly, helpful and obviously committed to improving rider safety. ( I suppose attending and managing the scene of so many accidents gives a certain insight; the statistics for bike accidents were genuinely frightening) I was impressed by their interest and their determination to improve my understanding of my own riding ability.
The assessment is intended as simply that, an assessment of how well or badly a rider controls their bike in the hope that the critical assessment educates a rider as to what they need to do to exercise better control over their bike, and therefore ride more safely. It is not intended as a training course or a substitue for training.
I have never taken any bike traing even though i have a full bike licence for years( yes i did do a test). I would certainly be interested in doing some advanced rider training, particularly after the shortcomings in my riding technique identified yesterday.I would do the training in the hope that i could learn skills that would make riding the bike safer and more fun. I highly recommend the Bikesafe program.
Unlike Aidan and Jockser, I neither got a bib to keep nor a pair of gloves. ( i won my gloves, and a pair of boots, at the raffle in achill!) I did however drive through the most incredible lightning storm between Roscrea and Portumna, in torrential rain. the gsa tank bag is most definately not waterproof. my toes were dry and toasty, did i mention i won new boots in achill?!
the gsa was faultless.:aidan

Back
Top Bottom