Garmin GPS V

andy2003

I'd like to pose a couple of questions to the GPS buffs on here:
I managed to get a GPS V recently, any ideas where I can get a mount to fit to the bars on the GS?
Can the internal memory be upgraded? and lastly how do I adapt the car style 12v socket to fit on the bike?
Thanks for you help................

There are two commonly used brackets in existence:

Touratech available from here @ £55

and

Ram-mount available from (amongsts others) Touratech and GPS Warehouse @ £22.99

If you are a tank bag user, you will find the Ram Mount more usable than the Touratech, personally I use both in combination with my SPIII and GPS III.

The internal memory cannot be upgraded, you are stuck with 19MB with this unit.

Keep the cigarette lighter mains lead you've got for use in car and buy an additional lead, splice off the plug and hard wire to your bike. Using the other lead and an adaptor for the BMW accessory socket is messy, unless you mount an additional socket on or near the bars.

Thnks Kieth, will plunder the links you sent , shame if the memory is fixed as I can't upload many map "blocks" at all, esp if include inside M25

ditto Andy (judge), jez this forum gets quick solutions!!

ditto Andy (judge), jez this forum gets quick solutions!!

Thats cos no one does any work, we are all sitting at our P.C's surfing :hapybnce:

andy2003 said:
Thnks Kieth, will plunder the links you sent , shame if the memory is fixed as I can't upload many map "blocks" at all, esp if include inside M25

You should check which version of Mapsource you are running. With Mapsource 5.0 you can get a lot more maps onto the GPS V. Earlier versions allowed only 10 or 12 maps , version 5.0 up to 40 maps are possible.

GPS V on a RAM mount on a Cagiva Raptor;
http://www.gpsriders.net/gps_raptor.html

I have found since upgrading to Mapsource v5 that I can fit 2-3% less maps into the 19MB. Mapsource seems to be calculating a slightly larger size when checking what I can load.

525 remains as the number of segments that you can load to a GPS V (not that you can get anywhere near it).

G'day Burnie,
I haven't ever tried to work it out in % terms but I find because the maps are chopped into smaller units I can get a lot more useable area uploaded than before. The smaller area maps allow me to upload the sections I want and not have vast areas of overlap which I don't need thus allowing more effective use of the 19mb.

If you are a tank bag user, you will find the Ram Mount more usable than the Touratech,

It's quite easy to take the Touratech mount apart and insert a drilled plate that will raise the mount/GPS above the tank bag. At least it was with my 176 and i think it'd be just as easy with the 3+ and V models.

Russ

Attachments

• hhhhhhh.jpg
    hhhhhhh.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 158
Okay; confusion between the Mapsource programme and a Mapsource mapset.

What I mean is if you have the same version of a mapset loaded under Mapsource (programme) v4.13 then Mapsource will say it is smaller than under Mapsource (programme) v5.0

Latest update

Been looking at the Garmin site and there seems to be a new update for the GPS V unit as from 2nd October. Here is the link if you were interested.

<a href="http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=123">Garmin V Update 2003/10/02</a>

This will update your unit if I understood the instructions correctly.

Cheers
:gringo

<b>Afternote:</b> Just checked my mapsource software and in the help tab you will find "Go to mapsource update web page" which should take you directly to what you require. Ohhh the technology availbale lately.....:)

I have mapsource ver 4 so how can i upgrade tp ver 5 without costing me a fortune? If anyone knows the anser to this please let me know and i will be very gratefull

Back
Top Bottom