What do you think?.......

jonnie comet

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
....looks a great 'bike .....wrong colour (IMHO)..............but what do you think?......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=160140375061&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

Cheap/expensive?.....good investment possibly?.....load of overated crap?....money pit?......best beemer ever?........:nenau

It keeps catching my eye........I need to have it, or forget it......:rolleyes:

Would appreciate any advice.....:)

R90S is a desirable bike, if original. This isn't. It's bright and shiny but not as it left the factory, casings and rocker covers should be duller. It's been much modified to someone's taste but not mine. Looks like an expensive ornament which would take a lot of time to clean and polish, and would be trailered to vintage shows.
Has the engine been rebuilt?
The price is towards the top end for a good original 90S.

Money is about right for a good one. But:

• Mileage too high for that price (IMO)
  • In general - I wouldn't pay for someone else's restoration (unless thay had had it done professionally - you'll just have to unpick yourself to make sure OK - because assembly carried out by Chartered Engineer doesn't mean it's been done well!)
  • Paintwork is very poor - if for no other reason because there's meant to be at some form of blending between silver/black on tank
  • Screen is wrong
  • Personally wouldn't pay for stainless steel fastners - it's not meant to have them
  • It's been imported at some point - see reflectors on fork legs (so poss' questions re history)
  • Cylinder covers have been chromed/polished - no, no NO!
  • Chrome tops to spark plug leads are wrong

Not really many things which appear wrong with it then (based on just these v. small pictures). The rest of the bike certainly looks well and correct.

I have a Daytona Orange 90S. Just as many people prefer the black as the orange. So don't worry about colour if you like it.

You shouldn't lose money. I bought mine for £4,200 with 23,000 miles. They won't depreciate in value (as long as either very original or very good restoration). In time values will prob' go up - but nothing stellar.

The 90S was a pivotal motorbike for BMW, and, at least in some small part, are due to the fact that BMW still make bikes today. Here's a quote from Bob Lutz (executive VP of BMW sales and credited with being responsible for the R90S) as taken from the fantastic book by Ian Falloon called "BMW R90S":

"BMW was producing the then-hated toaster-tank R75/5, and volume was dropping in all markets. The Japanese were launching their first 750cc triples and fours with vastly more power and appeal. I had just arrived at the company ... and was dismayed at what I found. There was no "bike division". There was a symbolic, small bike group in each of the main departments ... but they all reported to their various functional boses. Nobody was in charge of the overall motorcycle business. I asked Von Kuehnheim, the CEO, if it was OK to try to help the bike guys. he agreed, while warning me not to lose sight of my main job, car sales and marketing. With the tacit permission of my colleagues in the other functions, I called all the bike guys together for an all day meeting. There was remarkable agreement on what was wrong, as well as immediate consensus on what to do to restore greatness: return to the spirit of the formerly-all conquering R69S! We agreed that, to show at least one element of superiority to the Japanese, we had to up the cubes to 900cc ... We also decided to add more exclusive value by designing the factory sports fairing with subsidiary instruments. Hans Muth of Design soon had a clay model, and he came up with the fabulous "silver-smoke" color scheme. The first time we showed the bike was at the Paris Motorcycle Show, and it was an instant sensation. We were sold out immediately ... And yes, in all humility, I give myself some credit for saving the bike arm of BMW, and I think most of the guys who were there at the time would agree."

I would say at least go have have a look up close in the flesh. As ever though, some of the best examples never make it onto the open market, and are bought off a mate of a mate of a mate (as I found mine) - so always worthwhile tapping into your contacts.

Good luck, and they're certainly not a waste of time.

Paintwork is CRAP nothing like the style it should be, too many defined lines instead of the beautiful misting effect...

Mine will NEVER be for sale in my lifetime:)

Attachments

• BABY .jpg
    BABY .jpg
    87 KB · Views: 314
What's happened to the mirrors Proff?

Nothing, Why :nenau I can see out of them. but then I am a funny shape.
The man in the pic is Mike from JRS {Del Orto Carb Genius}taking measurements for his R90s reno.

Thats his nose fairing and mudguard...

mine apparently is the least buggered about one left .... close to original.
AND YES !! I do have the original fork gaiters as well

Attachments

• Side of Baby .jpg
    Side of Baby .jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 306
Will. the R90s was taken in Part Ex in 1978 at Walsall Bike Center.
I managed to put everyone off from buying her until 1980 when I could afford her >>£900 :eek::eek::eek:
it was rumored to be a BMW test bike but I had no luck proving it until I found THIS >>>>

The Harley was a Visitor, :ymca please note compulsory BMW badge applied to it :D

Attachments

• Harley interloper.jpg
    Harley interloper.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 289
  • Babys Cover pic.jpg
    Babys Cover pic.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 294
Thanks for the replies.

I had noticed the paint and rocker covers, but wasn't confident I was right......Reading you're opinions, was a bit of an eye opener.

Time to leave well alone....;)

Some good advice there lads........Thank you...:thumb2 :)

R90S is a desirable bike, if original. This isn't. Looks like an expensive ornament which would take a lot of time to clean and polish, and would be trailered to vintage shows.

Good summary, someone elses 'restoration' that makes it look like a Wurlitzer. :augie
The paints very wrong as well. (as Prof says).

A better, more 'honest' one will turn up... :thumb2

I agree Will
thats a very nice R90s.

1975 was the first without the kickstart option
If it comes at right price I may go for it myself:cool: if no one on this site has a GENUINE interest in it...
PM me in confidence if you do:thumb2

ME:rob with 2 of the buggers:eek
That would really piss the "BMW MOANERS CLUB" off:thedummy:thedummy:thedummy

TUT TUT ¬¬¬

Ahem...so if you where to 'dissappear' on the moors, then the bike would be available ? :augie

Also love the motorhome..and well, also fell for your Missus on our run out at Llangollen...

Just asking mind ....... :augie

:angel Barbara has just seen this:eek and is BLUSHING !!!
You are a BAD Man Kenny:)

And I'm the luckiest Bloke in the whole wide World !!
:beerjug::thumb2

Beware 'Shiny Bike Syndrome'.:rob

I don't know why it's being sold for £4600 after he's spent £6800 and that's not including the cost of the original bike.

And who is Chartered Engineer? Is he related to Automotive Engineer or Electrical Engineer? :mmmm

R90s' occasionally come up for sale through the BMW Club (dare I mention it ?).

There are/were two for sale in the August issue of the BMW Club Journal:

1. 1974, smoked black/silver, 53,000 miles but recent complete rebuild at a cost of over £5,000. De-bored (presumably a mis-print of Re-bored), unleaded conversion, virtually concours condition with SS exhaust, spokes & fittings. Krauser panniers, two previous owners, original toolkit, pump and tankbag. £4,250 (Hampshire).

2. 1976, black/silver, only 23,000 miles, current owner last 15 years. dry mileage only. New coachwork gleaming and totally unmarked. Original extras, eg pump. Twin-plug heads & electronic ignition (original parts retained). Mechanically A1. £3,950 (Kent).

I have left out the contact details but PM me if you want them.

These iconic bikes are still about - even the Daytona Orange ones crop up - and may be worth a look if you are interested.

These two are probably long gone now, but an entry in the BMW Club Journal or web site "Wanted" sections may produce results.

Membership = £25.oo p.a. - or get a mate to do it for you :augie.

Just a thought.

Bob.

Last edited:
Bob

Thanks for the info'. I've always wanted a Daytona Orange R90S ( I even remember making an Airfix kit of one when I was a nipper ) but that Black/Smoke one just kept catching my eye.

I'm not in a rush, and will keep my eyes open.

Cheers...:)

I'm not in a rushCheers...:)

Probably the best approach Jonnie. The right one for you will crop up, sooner or later. Just take your time and go to view as many as you can and research them. That way you start to build up both (a) an idea of what you want and (b) a picture of what a lemon will look like, and what a 'good one' will look like.

I spent a silly amount of time travelling the country and incurring cost going to view bikes, only to be let down by original descriptions. But it was worthwhile because when it came to buying I knew what I was looking for (read "anal" about correct set up and features etc:eek:). In the end I found mine just 10 miles from my house!

Take your time and keep asking questions. As you've no doubt already noticed, there are a few of us 90S owners/experienced on here (and more still who haven't yet come forward - eg Cookie and Thornley).

Back
Top Bottom