Bertha's back

(RIP) pastyman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
well almost finished after a bit of a going over prior to doing our trip to Spain in September.
overhaul included new piston rings, valves ande springs, valve guide inserts( as discussed before ,an alternative to new guides,) Camchain tensioner and guide, Stainless pushrod tubes and new seals( That alone should save the oil reserves of an Arab state) Swing arm pivot bearings and bevel box pivot bearings.. Cant believe how bad the old ones were. New rear brake shoes, Frame cleaned and painted and some plastic coating done to camchain cover, starter cover', air filter box and battery case. Lots of other bits checked and cleaned.
Had a bit of trouble when it would not start even though dash lights were on. Checked coils, control unit and Trigger but could not find the fault. The nice man at Sherlocks asked if it made any difference if I tried to start it with the cluth pulled in. I did and she fired up straight away. No joy with the cluth out. I then had to check the wiring by unwrapping age old cloth harness, still no joy untilI moved the earth connection. All of a sudden everything worked just as it should... Magic this electricity.
Anyway here she is looking pretty. trouble is I dont want to ride her in the wet now... Sad bastard I am.. :thumb2

Attachments

• 2007_0719bertha0089.JPG
    2007_0719bertha0089.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 329
  • 2007_0814bertha0002.jpg
    2007_0814bertha0002.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 313
  • 2007_0814bertha0003.jpg
    2007_0814bertha0003.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 327
:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Good job that man.

Looking really good (apart from the gsclub sticker on the tank :blast:blast:blast)

Bit of time to polich out those greasy finger marks on the black bits and you've got a beaut there.

Worth the hard work I reckon.

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Good job that man.

Looking really good (apart from the gsclub sticker on the tank :blast:blast:blast)

Bit of time to polich out those greasy finger marks on the black bits and you've got a beaut there.

Worth the hard work I reckon.

Thanks flop, Gs club sticker was already on it and it must be stuck on with seagull shit as I cant remove it. Maybe when Syco does a paint job on it it can come off. ..........Fingerprints???????????????????????Cheeky pup:rob

That looks superb :thumb2 The bike looks like it could cross Spain and keep going until south Africa :cool:

:eek:Love it, superb restore !! :bounce1

High mudguard would make it look more butch though ( that's if one will fit with that MASSIVE tank) :)

Guess who has a spare genuine BMW one:augie
just needs repainting:D
Also got a Genuine Brand new in shrink wrapper, blue one for '80 to '87 R80g/s

I prefer the after market acerbis type, more flexible and so much cheaper :D

Shows what you can do with a sledge-hammer, anglegrinder, hand saw, wallpaper pasteing brush and a few bits and pieces!
Looks great, health to enjoy!

Well done.:thumb

Now take it outside and take a decent photo of it without all the clutter in the background.....:D

Clutter.... CLUTTER... What bloody clutter, that is my other pride and joy the 1931 Austin 16. But yes when it stops raining i'll put it outside for a photo.......... only joshing:rob.

Now what about this mudguard thing.. I quite like the one thats on it but I am obviously in the minority.....or am I.... What do the rest of you lot think??
Hi or low, your views please.

Proff ...... how much

The other thing I would like to know is whether I should stay with the tourances for this trip. We aim to try to find dirt roads from the Pyranees to the south of Spain. I have a pair of new tck's but have been told they will wear out very quickly, any opinions (silly question)

Considering the bike is used mainly on road, stick to the low mudgaurd.

High mudguard works well when mudplugging but your too old for that :hide

Tourances for the twisty road bits. The off road will be graval and dusty tracks not muddy shitty tracks like the ones over here.

Be told, now back in your bat cave to turn the zundapp into a raging road muncher :clap:clap:clap

The name on that bike should be Bertha II or Bertha Junior because the original bertha was my R100GSPD which incidentaly was also the first on this comunity. As many veteran members may remember..
May have pictures somewhere in the old PC. Will try to dig it out...

Just for the record, it didn't look even near as smart as yours, so congratulations....

Kenny, if he put's TKC's on it might give us pups a chance of keeping up with the old duffer!!!!!

Then again, how fast do airheads go when they slide off the edge of a cliff :D:D

I'm going on Tourances which will be plenty good enough for what we are doing. If the old man wants to look all off road god then so be it :ymca

I'll just laugh at him when he has no tread on the way home :bluesn2s

very nice, proud of yer old man

ignore flip, what the hell does he know about off roading. Anywho i recon that looks the dogs now and once its covered in dust n stuff i'll look like a proper gs :augie

Back
Top Bottom