HELP - kph to mph on Yamaha XT125X

drifter

Reaction score
Having just started my son on the road to GS ownership today I bought him an XT125X Yamaha, supermoto, problem is and I only noticed on the long wet ride home that the digital clocks are reading kph instead of mph. Now I will check with Yamaha but in the short term does anyone here, being the font of wisdom, know if this reading can be changed, and how, (combination of buttons/dealer fix), so as to conform to uk road law, thanks again as always in advance, cheers. :beer:

You could try one of those kilo converters, they do electricary and machanical jobbies. you could also try one of those fancy off road type
info head thingies that you set up yourself..fit most bikes cable or electric
drive versions..

This is how to do it on my partners Yamaha, not a XT125 but it may be the same process if you have a trip switch etc

press "Select" and "Reset" buttons together and then switch key to "on" when digits start flashing use "select" to choose KMH or MPH.

No idea if this will work for you but give it a go

Stumpy:thumb

Thanks for your input, will have a good look in the morning but I think there is only one button, called "mode" that switches back and forth but maybe have to check with dealer, thanks one and all anyway. :beer:

Hi guys, just contacted dealer reference kph to mph conversion and he was not much help, so can anyone answer this one. I bought the bike new from an independant dealer in Northern Ireland, he told me that if I wanted it changed to mph then I would have to send it to "redial" and pay for it to be changed. This as you can imagine may involve the bike being off road for a few days. A couple of questions for you, or for those that may know:-

1. Is it legal for a UK supplier to supply a new vehicle displaying kph, if he knowingly knows the vehicle is to be used in the UK? Bearing in mind he has registered it with UK (NI) plates.

2. Is it legal to use that same vehicle on the road in the UK without some form of conversion being carried out on the clocks? (They are digital) Some I'm sure will remember that imported bikes coming into the UK used to have to have an MPH overlay on top of the manual clocks.

3. Finally a long shot but does anyone have any dealings with "redial" or does anyone know of anywhere in Ireland that this mod can be done without the necessity of having to strip the clock off? Perhaps a drive in/drive out service.

Thanks as always in advance and now in desparation, :beer:

put the onus on the dealer you bought the bike from

Any speedo that cannot display the Kph into its Mph equivalent is an automatic MOT failure-
So if yours is electronic ergo more complex/can't change it yourself, I'd put the onus right back on the dealership. It is their responsibility.
Why should you, the customer, be landed with the problem?

I have a xtx 660 x so may be the same.

Turn the key to on.

Press and hold the SELECT button for at least 2 seconds .
That should be that.

Any speedo that cannot display the Kph into its Mph equivalent is an automatic MOT failure-
So if yours is electronic ergo more complex/can't change it yourself, I'd put the onus right back on the dealership. It is their responsibility.
Why should you, the customer, be landed with the problem?

Bert's correct on this. Dealer should put MPH clock on. Take it back and insist he fixes it or Trading Standards here we come.

turn on the ignition and press the head light flash button, the speedo reads in mph and kph and can be switched from one to the other, every time your battery goes flat the bike will go to kph, do not operate the starter button for long periods as the relay is weak and will melt in the on position an starter will stay running!

Back
Top Bottom