quest2 or zumo or rider v2

johnnybravo

Reaction score
title says it all really. Going to Europe on Friday - SPIII isn't up to the job so I'm left with a choice. I've got an autocom so it would be good to feed sound into that (can you do that with a tomtom?) and I use a mac so could do with compatible mapping?

Wiring onto the bike is obviously important too.

HELP!!!!

If money is no object buy the Zumo 550, you get everything in the box; ram mount, power cable, full Europe mapping and it has a headphone jack for connecting to the autocom. The only thing I'm not sure about is if you can use mapsource V9 with a mac???

Last edited:
If you do a search on here you'll find plenty of reasons why most feel that Garmin products in general are superior to the Tom Tom equivalents. I shan't rehash the arguments here as you just want a quick answer and suffice to say I agree ;)

I'd also discount the Quest 2. The original Quest is a great piece of kit with a couple of shortcomings which, on paper, the 2 should have addressed. Unfortunately it is plagued by slow re-draw rates (which means you end up looking at a blank screen for long periods of time if you are moving fast or in town, just when you need it :mad:).

This leaves you with the Zumo which is a top piece of kit and will do everything you need. It also has blue tooth links for your phone and a built in MP3 player as well. The Garmin on-bike clamp is also a step up from previous offerings and should do the trick. As suggested the 550 will have the whole kit in one :thumb2

I'd also discount the Quest 2. The original Quest is a great piece of kit with a couple of shortcomings which, on paper, the 2 should have addressed. Unfortunately it is plagued by slow re-draw rates (which means you end up looking at a blank screen for long periods of time if you are moving fast or in town, just when you need it :mad:).

Seconded. Some GSers have Quest 2's and have had no problems but mine was a disaster. It wouldn't hold satellite lock even under a cloudless sky and, as Mutley says, the redraw, and recalc rates, were dismally slow.

Quest 1 :thumb2

Quest 2 :spitfire

I currently use a 2610 but if I was in your shoes I'd stump up for the Zumo.

Thirded...
I had the same experience with Quest 2. Useless.:mad:
Get anything other than one of those...
I got upgraded to a 2720 which works fine. :D:D:D

From your list it's the Zumo I guess !!!
Good luck, you haven't got much time, have a good one :thumb

Thanks everybody.

Shame about the quest, it's a great concept but sounds like it's been poorly executed so I've bitten the bullet and a box full of zumo will be arriving at my door tomorrow - Europe here I come! :thumb

I have a Zumo 550 and it's a quality piece of kit. I also have a Mac and the software is not compatible. I'm not too fussed an I have a stinky windoze laptop to run the mapping software on.
Just a little info for you ...........
Chris

Chris,

thanks for that, I spoke to Garmin and they said that you can use mapping with a mac and they have a converter program which you setup in windows then migrate to the mac.

If you post your email address I'll forward the instructions they sent me. (haven't tried any of this as I'm busy packing - and would need to get my hands on a PC!)

Rob

Back
Top Bottom