Please Read

dazzer

Reaction score
Anyone that as watched Mondo Enduro will have seen Clive Greenhough on the DVD.

His Father was very sadly diagnosed with Alzheimer’s at the young age of 56. At the time he owned and ran a successful building business, was physically fit and a huge cyclist enthusiast. Now at the age of 60 he can no longer work, drive a car, cook and do all the other things we take for granted.
He now needs constant care and is looked after 5 days a week in a local Alzheimer’s centre

Here is a Email I received from Clive about the trip he as just finished.
Please take a moment to read it.
Thanks Dazzer

I finally finished my 1000 mile unsupported solo cycle ride from Lands End to John O’Groats at 230pm on Sunday 13th August and I can safely say it was the hardest thing I have ever done both physically and mentally.

If I was advising someone else who wanted to do this, then I would say take the most direct route (874miles), take a lot longer than 10 days and ride with someone else. I spoke to a couple who spent 3 weeks doing it and they still said never again! However, like me they raised a lot of money for a very worthwhile cause, so it was worth doing every mile.

However, it was an incredible feeling of elation and accomplishment, as I arrived weather beaten and sore at my journey’s end and I would just like to say a very big thank you to all those who have already pledged support for my challenge. I am very grateful to you and you have helped to raise in excess of an amazing £6,000. My initial target was £3000, so it’s thanks to you all, that it has doubled.

For those of you who thought you'd support but haven't had a chance to go online to do the deed, it's not too late. Every contribution however large or small will make a difference. See my website HYPERLINK "http://www.justgiving.com/cyclingforalzheimers" www.justgiving.com/cyclingforalzheimers As ever, please forgive the intrusion and feel no compulsion.

If you would rather send a cheque, then please send it for my attention to: The Royal Grammar School, Amersham Road HP13 6QT.

Please make the cheque payable to the ‘Alzheimer’s society’ and I will forward it to them, with the other cheques I already have.

OR

If you would like the funds to go direct to where my Dad and others like him receive care (the Templeton centre in Northwood Hills), then please make a cheque payable to me (C.R.Greenhough) and send it into me at school and I will put it towards buying them some sort of fitness equipment.

Wishing you a great summer!

A very appreciative and tired

Clive Greenhough

PS A few photos of the journey attached. You can visibly see I lost a bit of weight on the way and apparently I burnt about 10,000 calories a day.

nearglencoe.jpg

start.jpg

end.jpg

mumanddad.jpg

I did the end-to-end a few years ago and it was hard work, but I think that Clive's selling himself short.

Unfortunately, I my family then had to deal with the progress and then the inevitable conclusion of Alzheimer's disease. I've not seen a lot of suffering in my time, but this disease is truly horrible, for the effect that it has on all involved.

Clive has my sympathies and respect - well done!

Back
Top Bottom