Edinburgh to Kathmandu.......and back.

cyprys

Reaction score
Hello my name is Marcin Filas. Some of you may know me from my regular contributions to the site and also from behind the parts desk at Motorrad Central East, Dalkieth.

On 31st August I plan to depart from Edinburgh and ride to Kathmandu. The route will go through France, Germany, Poland, Slovakia, Austria, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, India and, finally, Nepal.

Apart from being a personal odyssey, the trip is also designed with a charitable purpose. In 2005, Buzz Bartholomew (aka Namastebuzz) and Natasha Robinson rode a similar trip and did volunteer work with an orphanage in Kathmandu. Many of you on the site very generously donated funds to Buzz and Tasha which went a long way towards improving the lives of the 35 children in the orphanage. Buzz has also been advising me on preparation for the trip and Tasha has been helping me set up funding processes and co-ordinating with VSN.

I am now raising funds for VSN Nepal, who run 13 orphanages throughout the Kathmandu Valley and also run projects for education, immunisation and community regeneration. I know that many of you donate to a lot of causes already so please don’t feel that you’re being squeezed for cash BUT if anyone wishes to contribute please feel free. My own website is at http://www.sofarsonepal.za.pl/ and details can be found there or my paypal is childrenofnepal@hush.com

Hopefully I will have some interesting stories and photos to post up over the next few months so please keep an eye on this thread and all comments and advice will be most welcome. :thumb2

Attachments

• Marcin.jpg
    Marcin.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,264
Good luck. That's quite an adventure ahead of you. :clap:clap:clap

Friday 31.August 2007

Many of you fellow Gsers know me from behing my parts desk at Motorrad Central East. Actually last Saturday was my last day at work so you won't see me there anymore. Now I just have couple of days for preparation left.
If you fancy seeing me off here are some details.
On Friday 31 August I will be leaving from my House around 9 am. Then I will ride with few friends to Dalkeith to say bye to my collegues. I should be there around 9:30. quick coffee and few Pix and off I go to Bishopbriggs. After this few bikes gonna follow me down to Carlisle. If you fancy seeing me off or you would like having a wee ride with few other bikers feel free to pop up!it would be great to see you!
marcin

Good luck and have a great time! :thumb

Will you past London Town?

i will have to bypass it this time I'm afraid. But definatelly on the way back. Need to be in Dover at 8 am on Sunday to catch a ferry across to France. Saturday will be spent with friends in oxford.Will have to wake up quite early sunday morning;(

Good Luck!

Hi Marcin, good look on your epic adventure and we'll look forward to following your exciting journey as it unfolds!!:thumb

Chris and Anne.

we have never managed to do this offroading we planned!!Himalayas will have to teach me!And they will!!cheers

Offroading Himalaya style....!

I was thinking that a day offroading on our farm would be good fun and it's a pity we didn't have time to do it but I'm sure you'll have plenty of practise in the very near future:D

When you get back you'll need to come down here and give us a demonstration of all those 'special tricks' you'll have learned on your journey etc......! Oh and tell us about all the exciting local food you eat aswell.:thumb

Hey Marcin, wishing you the best for your trip.....look forward to reading all about it another time.....

Maybe, you could do an evening lecture when you get home....photos from you trip, do it in the shop, I'm sure for the sake of a glass of cheap wine, lots of lovely GSERS will pay a £5 or heaps more because they ride BMWs, to hear tales from your trip.....

:thumb

Paul

So Far So Nepal Talk and Slideshow!

Garfield that's a great idea, a talk and slideshow of Marcins trip would be really interesting to hear! So, that's two tickets sold....!:D

I will do it if a get a green light from the Management of MCE.:augie
Fingers crossed they will. Thank you guys for all the best luck wishes. Remenber you are welcome to join me and few others on Friday.

Hi Marcin ,Didn't realise your trip was so close sorry we never got to take you out trail riding at Falmer Palmers "blame chris:D" .
Hope you have a safe trip look forward to reading blog:thumb

Ride safe :beerjug:

I will do it if a get a green light from the Management of MCE.:augie
Fingers crossed they will. Thank you guys for all the best luck wishes. Remenber you are welcome to join me and few others on Friday.

you'll get the green light because I'll ask for my money back on my GSA that I'm picking up this week :augie

*only kidding :eek:

:D

Can't make Friday.

Work. Work. Work.

but all the best for the trip Marcin. The Polish kids in West Lothian will be following your blog in both languages.

Keep safe and enjoy the trip.

Goodluck Marcin! - hopefully be there on Friday to see you off!

(mmm never did buy that lid from the shop did I!!)

Back
Top Bottom