An afternoon ride from Santander

Northern jock

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
Due to land in Santander on a Sunday midday in 12 days time, any recommendations for somewhere good to stop for the night a few hours ride away? Heading east, Andorra area for a day so anywhere roughly on line. Camping or hotel as long as food and beer available near by!

Cheers
NJ

Hi
Due to land in Santander on a Sunday midday in 12 days time, any recommendations for somewhere good to stop for the night a few hours ride away? Heading east, Andorra area for a day so anywhere roughly on line. Camping or hotel as long as food and beer available near by!

Cheers
NJ

I stayed at this campsite a couple of years ago good food and bar :beer:
Sorry no photos of the bar nice view over Jaca :thumb

Attachments

• IMGP0225.jpg
    IMGP0225.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 452
  • jaca.gdb
    160 bytes · Views: 52
Hi

Cheers
NJ

Take a right turn and head West to the Picos, fabulous place and some great biker hotels which are great value.

Here's just a few of the reasons why.........;)

AndyT:cool:

Attachments

• picos_2.jpg
    picos_2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 455
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 432
  • on way to treviso.jpg
    on way to treviso.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 429
I've not tried this myself but I think there's a link to this forum somewhere (I bookmarked it myself from here some years ago but have never headed that way from Santander).

http://www.casazalama.com/

There's an English language option and the place does look nice.

I've not tried this myself but I think there's a link to this forum somewhere (I bookmarked it myself from here some years ago but have never headed that way from Santander).

This is owned and ran by a friend of guitarman and everyone who has been says its great....

by the way what happened to guitarman??:confused:

NJ, I'm on the same crossing. After a trip to Picos De Europa in June was completely ruined by a trog up through France a few of us who were on the last trip decided to go again, only this time stay in Northern Spain.

We're leaving Santander heading west, leaving the main rd (A8?) at Panes and heading for Potes, where we're booked in for the first two nights at the Hotel Del Oso.

After a couple of days there we'll be heading further west towards Oviedo where the Michelin map shows some pretty attractive riding. Only 12 days :D can't f*****g wait !

I (and several other GSers) can wholeheartedly recommend this place. It's just over an hours ride from Santander. Graham keeps a very good wine cellar and there are always cold beers in the fridge. You won't find a better garden to relax and enjoy a drink in.

Some pictures on this thread:-

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17184&highlight=zalama

Andy

Cheers guys, I think I'll probably head east, it's in the right direction for me, Jaca looks good if not too far for an early beer!:beerjug:
Unless I stop after an hour, sounds good

KMD - probably see you at checkin then amongst all the bikes. Blue and white GS

Cheers
nj

Hi

Cheers
NJ

There is a good campsite at Gavin, which is just past jaca.
Just stay on the n260 road.I stopped there this year on my way across
the pyrenees.

This place is absolutely fabby:

Hotel San Glorio
tel - 987 740 418

http://www.picosdeeuropahotelsanglorio.com/

As before - get off at Santader, head for Potes, stay there for a night, and then a couple at San Glorio.

It's gobsmackingly fabulous, the roads are a dream, the pepps are great and there are very few cars there too!

Jaca is a great place too to stay too - last time I was there, it was soooooooooo hot!

enjoy your trip.

Hi NJ. Most of the peeps have suggested the Picos, and not answered your question re going East. Jaca is a good place to hole up for a short while. Lovely road into the town whick skirts the northern shore of an embalsa (reservoir). Nice mixture oof bends and in the dry the tarmac is very grippy. Watch out for the deisel in the wet. On the way into Jacca look out for the for the sign on the right for the monastery of San juan de la Pena. In fact there are 2 monasteries. The new one is 13th Century and the old one I think dates from the 9th century. All the kings of Aragon are buries there. We stayed in the gran hotel in Jacca. Not expensive, and not cheap, but has a garage. If you follow a link on the site to member named Ebbo. He has done a travelogue of a trip to the pyrenees including hotels. It's really worth a look. Last year we stayed on a campsite just north of Ainsa. Restaurant on the main road about 2 miles out of town on the road , and campsite with shop, bar, and pool just a couple of hundred yards behind it. Have a great time.

Hi NJ. Most of the peeps have suggested the Picos, and not answered your question re going East. Jaca is a good place to hole up for a short while. Lovely road into the town whick skirts the northern shore of an embalsa (reservoir). Nice mixture oof bends and in the dry the tarmac is very grippy. Watch out for the deisel in the wet. On the way into Jacca look out for the for the sign on the right for the monastery of San juan de la Pena. In fact there are 2 monasteries. The new one is 13th Century and the old one I think dates from the 9th century. All the kings of Aragon are buries there. We stayed in the gran hotel in Jacca. Not expensive, and not cheap, but has a garage. If you follow a link on the site to member named Ebbo. He has done a travelogue of a trip to the pyrenees including hotels. It's really worth a look. Last year we stayed on a campsite just north of Ainsa. Restaurant on the main road about 2 miles out of town on the road , and campsite with shop, bar, and pool just a couple of hundred yards behind it. Have a great time.

Cheers mate, looking forward to it :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom