Which is the best Textile Riding Suit?

grendal

....needs to be

• totally waterproof and windproof
  • with good protection in all the right places, (will be doing a fair amount of off-roading and I fall off a lot!)
  • really well made (see above)
    and
  • comfortable and useable in all seasons (riding over to West Africa next year).

Been looking at the HG Touareg jacket and trousers plus some kit manufactured by HELD. BMW stuff seems well expensive in comparison, as does Aerostich - although I have heard fantastic things about these suits I would be a little worried about ordering from the USA without trying one on first!
Does anybody mix and match :ymca the jacket from one manufacturer with the trousers from another?

Rev'it

Have a look at the Rev'it website I've bought the Cayenne Jacket which seems pretty good(Its a Rallye 2 copy). Not sure about the mix and match, would need to make sure trousers zip to jacket for piece of mind.
Beauty of the Revit stuff is two removable liners, Waterproof and thermal as opposed to alot of suits with one. Makes it musch more all season usable.

Rev'it is definitely cheaper than the rallye 2 pro. It has more features too, as it has a thermal liner that the BMW jacket don't have.

From Muswell hill ... Goto Sondal Sport in Highbury/Islington to try one on. They also do Dainese, but as you said you found the Aerostich expensive you won't like Dainese prices.

I personally don't like jackets that utilise a thermal[B waterproof liner. It means that if it's wet and mild your going to roast if you want to stay dry. I prefer the versatility of being able to choose my own thermal layer to suit conditions. This is even more critical off-road IMO where you work up a sweat so much quicker.

Don't go the Dainese route- they are not anywhere near as good as they were a few years back. Very poor zips etc, I speak from bitter experience.

Rukka is where its at-if you can afford it :nenau

HG will look crap bur does the job

Rallye2 will make you look like a Dakar legend and will also do the job :D

Whatever you go with make sure the waterproof layer is Gortex.

There are lots of other waterproof membranes out there, some better than others, but I've yet to find one that combines such a high level of water proofing together with such good breathability.

Personally (and I may be in a minority here) I prefer a seperate Gortex liner as this means that the jacket can be really cool in very hot weather as air can pass through the jacket and vents more easily than if the Gortex layer is incorporated into the jacket.

Andres

If you want the best ...

it's going to cost you money ;)

If you want the best value for money then IMHO you are looking at the Rev'It Cayenne / Off Road suits or the HG Tuareg kit (or the Cruise if you are staying on road). All good quality suits and have all the features you are looking for, the choice probably comes down to fit / looks / availability :thumb2

If you want 'THE BEST' then you need to define what you want to do a little more (all IMHO :rolleyes: ):

• The safest is probably the Halvarssons suit.
    The most waterproof / warmest may well be the Rukka kit.
    The most versatile and stylish could be the Rallye II Pro.
    The Belstaff has the celebrity endorsements
Only you can decide as they are all a bit subjective and bring out some strong opinions. Cost and fit are major implications, as is how you want to look. You may not want to look too much like a storm trooper in a dayglo jacket when you are trying to travel unobtrusively through a developing country.:eek

If you want the best value for money then IMHO you are looking at the Rev'It Cayenne / Off Road suits or the HG Tuareg kit (or the Cruise if you are staying on road). All good quality suits and have all the features you are looking for, the choice probably comes down to fit / looks / availability :thumb2

If you want 'THE BEST' then you need to define what you want to do a little more (all IMHO :rolleyes: ):

Only you can decide as they are all a bit subjective and bring out some strong opinions. Cost and fit are major implications, as is how you want to look. You may not want to look too much like a storm trooper in a dayglo jacket when you are trying to travel unobtrusively through a developing country.:eek

Beautifully put.;)

You forgot a few!

• The most tellytubby look-a-likey the aerostich
    The most fashionable will be Dainese
    The most on the road may well be Frank Thomas
    The amlost as fashionable will be Alpinestar

I personally have the following ...

• Aerostich if I am going touring
    BMW Rallye 2 to ride down to the local BMW shop
    Dainese to ride into London town
    Moto guzzi / Furygan / Dainese to wear in the pub in the cold weather when I don't ride the bike and want to tell the world I ride a bike :augie

As I ride every day 110mile round trip to work (06 1200GS 33k miles original clutch!) and chose Rukka, as said before I was fed up with gortex liners where as with rukka the liner comes out for summer and still waterproof
Though at £1400 its a bit pricey
cheers

A
Though at £1400 its a bit pricey
cheers

something of an understatement :)

mine was a bit cheaper than that, but it is the bollocks if you want to be warm & dry. not so good at being cool in hot weather though. i wouldnt want to use a rukka as a regular off road suit. too hot and too expensive.

Use my Rukka every day. Now 3yrs old and 50k miles and still as good as new. 5yr warranty as well.

Hi
I have a streetgaurd 2 jacket and pants. Had them for coming up to 2 years now. Used every day to and from work and weekend spins / trips etc. all year round. Never let water in (live in cumbria so loads of rain) confortable and very reasuring when the bad weather catches you out. and when the thermal lining is in. nice and toasty. i know its expensive but with 2 years of wear (still looks brand new by the way) money well spent.

:clap

I have a 2 piece and a 1 piece Aerostich and whilst they are brilliant they get very hot in warm weather (at least for this fat scotsman). I would like to waste one off road but for touring they are brilliant and quite cheap given teh exchange rate.

Back
Top Bottom