PDA

View Full Version : City Navigator & Metroguide

roddy
22-08-07, 17:31
Whats the difference between City Navigator V8 & V9 and metroguide

I know V8/9 are autorouteable metroguide isn't but if you use Metrowhizz it makes it autoroutable

V9 has a greater coverage area than V8

but from a regards to the info they hold address, POI, transport links are they the same ?

Any opinions cheers

Blackal
22-08-07, 18:31
I thought that Metroguide only had the main roads between cities, with full city coverage - compared to City Navigator which has all roads (including dried-up riverbeds?)

Al :thumb2

navig8r
23-08-07, 06:46
I thought that Metroguide only had the main roads between cities, with full city coverage - compared to City Navigator which has all roads (including dried-up riverbeds?)

Al :thumb2

I run CN V8 and MG V8 and I can see no real difference in the map detail and every address and I have searched for has also been there.I have not yet installed CN NTV9 on my Sons Nuvi so can't comment on that one yet!

Dave

beemerboy9
23-08-07, 07:44
I get very confused by the Garmin products.
My impression was that Garmin licence the map detail from Navteq. The more Garmin pay for the licence the more Navteq mapping features they can include in the product.
It is never clear to me what the these extra features are. Autorouting seems to be one in this case, which is overcome by using Metrowhizz.
Hopefully someone can explain!

Bumpkin
23-08-07, 08:52
When comparing City Navigator and Metroguide the differences in mapping detail, when viewed in Mapsource, appear to be non existent. POI data is the same.

However, when compared to NT versions of City Nav there is no full postcode data, it has the same partial data, all of outward code and only 1st digit of inward code, as plain City Nav.

Metroguide has fewer road attributes which define characteristics of the roads, this should, in theory, result in differing routes and calculated journey times. However, when I do a route in City Nav and then recalc in Metroguide (both v8) they follow the same route and have the same duration. From this I deduce that the attributes missing in Metroguide are not used in route calculation.

One road attribute/classification that is absent in Metroguide is roundabouts, these are just defined as roads, albeit one way. This is why if you use MetroWizzz and transfer Metroguide mapping to your GPSR, the audio instructions are different and a little confusing for roundabouts.

navig8r
23-08-07, 13:29
One road attribute/classification that is absent in Metroguide is roundabouts, these are just defined as roads, albeit one way. This is why if you use MetroWizzz and transfer Metroguide mapping to your GPSR, the audio instructions are different and a little confusing for roundabouts.

I have seen this discussed b4 but has not been an issue for me as the 60c does not have voice guidance just beeps and graphics(very good too I might add) ..I will have to dig my Quest out from where ever I put it away to(should sell it really as I never use it) and load MG up to try it for my self.

Dave

Bumpkin
23-08-07, 13:54
I have seen this discussed b4 but has not been an issue for me as the 60c does not have voice guidance just beeps and graphics(very good too I might add) ..I will have to dig my Quest out from where ever I put it away to(should sell it really as I never use it) and load MG up to try it for my self.
To save you the bother it just says, for example; "turn left" instead of saying "at the roundabout take the 1st exit", when it's dead ahead it doesn't say anything ISTR. Not sure about big roundabouts, might just tell you to "turn right" at the exit point. I only loaded MG as a test and used it for a couple of ride-outs in mid Wales, they don't have many roundabouts....

My real reason for obtaining it was for longer continental touring where my City Nav v8 equipped Quest might run out of memory due to the big mapping tiles. Haven't had the chance to leave these shores since :rolleyes:

navig8r
23-08-07, 14:56
Cheers, that will save me looking for it!
Dave

Bumpkin
24-08-07, 08:43
However, when compared to NT versions of City Nav there is no full postcode data, it has the same partial data, all of outward code and only 1st digit of inward code, as plain City Nav.
I hasten to add, for the sake of clarity; That direct postcode searching can only be done with NT mapping, plain City Nav and Metroguide can only use the partial postcode as part of the search criteria and not on its own.

roddy
25-08-07, 08:35
Thanks Guys, I looks like that City Navigator doesn't really have any advantage over Metro* used with Metrowhizz, I think I keep my money for the time being, unless somebody know where to get a free copy :)