NORWAY - The Wrong Way Round

grez

Reaction score
Just got back from my first ever trip with the bike, 1150 GS. The highs, great country, friendly people who speak better English than most of the youth of today and some spectacular roads. The lows, it is food is expensive, beer is expensive and DFDS has to be the worst ferry company in the world. Thanks to the others on the boat for showing me how to tie down a bike as the ferry staff just shouted park here and walked away not giving a damn. Liv is right, Flam is nice and the 243, or 288 if you have the AA roadbook of Europe - don't know why, is a great road to ride to the end.

As for the wrong way round - well 99% of the bikes I met were going the opposite direction to me,maybe they knew something I didn't. If you haven't gone, then go, don't be put off by DFDS being less than helpfull. Also change the headlights, 100 kph in an 11 km tunnel with no lights in the middle only shows you that you can clench your arse hard enough to make your eyes water if you really try.

... DFDS has to be the worst ferry company in the world. Thanks to the others on the boat for showing me how to tie down a bike as the ferry staff just shouted park here and walked away not giving a damn..
Strange, as I found DFDS superb when I used them last year travelling overnight to Esbjerg. True the staff didn't tie down the bikes, but I think this is a way of avoiding any liability if there is damage to your bike. When I strapped mine down, I politely asked a member of staff if it was ok. He just said "If you're happy with it - then its ok".

I was over there last 2 weeks in July and our return crossing from Bergen was pretty rough. I was worried whether my bike was well enough tied down. When we were let down to the car deck on arrival at Tyne Mouth, I found that someone - presumably the crew had been in and doubled the tie-downs to make it more secure.

No complaints from me about DFDS

TP

Back
Top Bottom