Russian Crown Jewels - is this true?

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone know the truth or otherwise of the following Wiki? I have seen another reference elsewhere but it sounds incredible...
Bin

Time in Ireland
Following the October Revolution the new Russian Republic, which was seriously low on funds, sought a loan from the Irish Republic, whose finance minister, Michael Collins, had become internationally famous for his fundraising for the unofficial Irish state. The Russian Crown Jewels were therefore sent to Ireland to be used as collateral in the loan. The jewels were placed in a safe in Government Buildings and promptly forgotten about.

On their discovery in 1948, by the new government led by John A. Costello, it was originally intended that the set of Crown Jewels would be sold by public auction in London. However, after consultations as to their legal status, and negotiations with the Soviet ambassador, it was arranged for them to be returned to the Soviet Union in exchange for the sum of $25,000 originally loaned in 1920. The jewels would ultimately return to Moscow in 1950. [3]

It was at the Boland family link that I saw the other reference (same surname, no relation). Seems like a momentous bit of history for a small country, but it is not very much celebrated ?

I thought he was tired and emotional - Albert Reynolds (who is TT) was p$ssed off!!

and this one is definitely true

The Royal College of Physicians in Dublin has in it's possession Napoleon's personal washbag from the battle of Waterloo...apparently his physician was an Irishman who brought it back with him when he returned to Ireland and donated to the college. It's presence there was unknown for 100+ years...

Back
Top Bottom