A view from an XT

Techno Prisoners

For those who went to Lumb Farm.....the short round bloke on the black Yamaha XT. My other bike is a 1200GS, hence lurking on this forum.

I really enjoyed meeting Tossers various at the weekend rally. Apologies to anyone who was kept awake by the loud laughter. A clear case of Guinness overdose.

The GS will be brought to the next meet. The short off-road ride was exactly what I needed to find out how to sort out the XT for a trip to Timbuktu in January.

Thanks to Bryn and Lyn for organising the event. I hope that you raised plenty for the charities. Mr Testicles said that his bucket was hanging heavy by the end of Saturday night:)

Thanks to Bryn and Lyn for organising the event. I hope that you raised plenty for the charities. Mr Testicles said that his bucket was hanging heavy by the end of Saturday night:)

Now thats a load of bollocks.:D
Welcome to the site fella,maybe you should ride the GS to Timbuktu.

For those who went to Lumb Farm.....the short round bloke on the black Yamaha XT. My other bike is a 1200GS, hence lurking on this forum.

I really enjoyed meeting Tossers various at the weekend rally. Apologies to anyone who was kept awake by the loud laughter. A clear case of Guinness overdose.

The GS will be brought to the next meet. The short off-road ride was exactly what I needed to find out how to sort out the XT for a trip to Timbuktu in January.

Hello and welcome to the site ... yes I remember you on the offroad rideout.

Good to see you've stepped out of the shadows at long last, join in with us where you can it'll make your stay a little more interesting :thumb2

Hi Colban
GS to Timbuktu was given serious thought, but I was put off by the trip organiser - Nick Sanders, (am I going to argue with the man himself?) - who said that the R1200GS with ABS is a particularly difficult bike to fix when the electrics fail. They took about 12 GSs to Timbuktu in January this year, some of the members of this board must have gone on the trip, and brought 6 back in the truck. Nick used a 1100GS for one of his long journeys years ago and says that they are a fine machine, but the 12 has become too complicated. The January 2007 trip will be televised in September and the DVD is out now if you are interested.

There are no refunds if your bike packs up, they try to fix it then chuck it on the truck if they can't, so I took his advice and got the XT660R.

Hindsight tells me that, if simple is the key, I probably should have bought a 2003 XT600 or a recent MZ 660, which are both carburetted and a lot simpler electronically. I doubt that the XT660R much simpler than a GS apart from canbus and ABS.

We have to complete the carnet documentation at end of September, so that's the final date for the bike choice. I may even swap the XT660 before then if an irresistible XT600 or MZ catches my eye. Meanwhile, this flirtation with flighty bikes is sneered at by the GS which sits in the corner of the garage wearing a superior look.

Back
Top Bottom