Lapland Activity holidays

Trippy

Anyone ever been on one?

Niether me or my 11 yr old lad are into really hot weather and he loves the snow. I was looking at a company that runs 7 day activity holidays in Lapland where you have a days on snow mobiles, dog sledging, riendeer safaris and cross country skiing.
You get flights from Heathrow, all winter gear and full board.
I'm assured by the company that there is still loads of snow and ice in April.

Hi
Lapland is awesome if you like snow. I've been a couple of times around end of February, mainly for cross country skiing which is very good. I go to Yllas where there are 350km of tracks to play with and perfect snow. A wee bit chilly but no problem.
Also downhill skiing in Yllas, biggest in Finland. Then you feel it chilly if you don't wear a face mask but still great snow.
Not too expensive - ie a pint is about €6 as far as I remember, cheaper out the supermarket. Accomodation in Akaslompolo (part of Yllas) is mainly in log cabins with private suana etc (and fridge for the beer). The other side of the hill is Levi, more big hotel country there.
Lots for kids to do I believe but check out the websites eg www.yllas.fi
Go, enjoy.
Inghams go as do many others now.
Cheers
nj

Trip
You will have a fantastic time - I took the kids a few years ago (before they stopped believeing in Santa....) it was the best holiday i have ever been on. We went a package like you discribe - you tend to get a morning at each activity and then usually a spare day to arrange a longer stint at the activities that you prefer. I thought - oh it will be the snowmobileing for me.... but to be honest we do alot of this anyway (I work for a company that owns an engine and tractor factory in Finland so i go over at least once a year). We chose dog sledging and reindeer safaris instead and i have to say the dog sleding was the best experience I have ever had - true back to nature feeling.

We found the food good and the drink OK but wine etc can be very expensive so dont be afraid to pick your own up at supermarkets. Clothing was good quality and definately needed (take your thermals you will need them).
The Fins are extremely friendly and helpful.

Only advice is dont leave your video or photographic equipment out in the elements too long (pack them under your snow suit) because the cold ruined a video and a camera while we were there it is just so harsh.
Good luck
Rik

I was up in Jukkas Jarvi inside the artic circle in Sweden a few years back. nearest airport is Kiruna. What fabulous place - it's where the build the Ice Hotel. Loads of dog sledding, snowmobiles and all that other fun stuff. Day time temeprature was a toasty -20c at night it dropped to -35c ....brrrr It was so cold that the hairs in your nose freeze and break and if you get a tear drop in your eye it will crytstalize - very painful so if you are going snowmobile riding take some really good ski goggles with you and make sure they fit well and don't allow any wind through. A full balaclava covering your nose is also advisable or your nose will freeze - frostbite is a real problem on any exposed skin. You need some serious warm gear up there and the stuff we brought with us was laughed at by the guides. They will normally supply you with suitable oversuits and hats but you'll need some seriously good footwear . C&A or M&S won't sell anything that will cope with these conditions .
Cameras freeze in these climates show check yours before you go - it may simply not function. Old style non electronic kit is best - batteries can't handle -35c very well so if you do take a digital one - keep it inside your jacket against your body heat to keep it warm.
Try the vodka served up in block of frozen ice with a hole drilled in which is where the vodka goes :thumb:thumb:thumb:beer:
Oh.... and don't bother with trying to build a snow man or having a snowball fight - the snow is so cold it's like flour - just pure powder.
If you throw a glass of hot water in the air it comes down as instant snow - that's a cool trick :cool
Keep your eyes skyward after dark (most of the day in other words) and you maybe lucky enough to grab the most wonderous sight on seen on planet earth.... the Aurora Borealis or Northern Lights as it's also known. It didn't show when I was there and I was gutted but I hope for you that it makes an appearance - what a fantastic thrill it must be to lie in the snow and look up to the heavens changing colour like some psychadelic dream show. Have fun and stay well wrapped up . Your lad is very lucky if you take him there. :clap

Back
Top Bottom