PDA

View Full Version : what to see / where to camp in south?

squid
31-08-07, 17:52
Weighing up up my options for 5-7 days in the South starting 15 Sept.

Camping Solo - Looking for best Scenery, mountains etc / least traffic.

Would arrive via Dublin.

Campsites that are open / hot showers etc?

Ferry looks to be about 80 return - assume this is the going rate.

davidgibson999
31-08-07, 19:16
price your ferry with www.nutttravel.com - a local company who negotiate good discount with the ferry companies.

squid
31-08-07, 19:39
Here is a rough route, any thoughts on this?

squid
31-08-07, 19:44
price your ferry with www.nutttravel.com - a local company who negotiate good discount with the ferry companies.

Filled in the quote form - see what they come back with - thanks:thumb

NI Phil
01-09-07, 08:24
If you are travelling down to West Cork you could go to Mizen Head:-

The Mizen Head Peninsula is a beautiful, remote finger of land poking its way west, offering superb sandy beaches and cliff scenery, getting wilder the further west you go. It's an area rich in archeological sites , from Bronze Age wedge graves contemporary with the first copper mining of Mount Gabriel, through Iron Age and early Christian ring forts, down to medieval castles - pick up a copy of the leaflet Antiquities of the Mizen Peninsula from the tourist office in Cork city if you want to locate these sites. Finally, while out exploring, be aware that great care should be taken at the Mizen cliffs , as the land ends abruptly and without warning.
The most spectacular scenery along this stretch of coast is at Mizen Head itself - sheer, vertiginous cliffs, with an offshore lighthouse linked by a little suspension bridge, and accessible if you visit the Mizen Vision heritage centre (mid-March to May & Oct daily 10.30am-5pm; June-Sept daily 10am-6pm; 2.50/€3.17). Standing at this exhilarating spot it takes little effort to imagine the great number of ships that have been wrecked in Dunlough Bay to the north. A walk round to Three Castles Head brings in sight the curtain wall and two turrets of an O'Mahoney stronghold, one of twelve that were built along this peninsula in the fifteenth century. The setting makes this one truly spectacular. The whole of the peninsula's wild and empty northern coast, in fact, is one of sheer cliffs and stupendous views - an impossible route for hitching, but great for those with transport.
The south coast of the peninsula is more travelled, with small towns at Ballydehob, Schull and Crookhaven , and lovely sandy beaches . The best of these is the long and sandy strand at Barley Cove , whose rolling breakers make it a favourite with surfers.

We spent a few days in the campsite at Crookhaven, about 1 mile to the pub which serves great grub.(try the seafood chowder)
In Bantry there is a pub called "The Snug" it also does fabulous food.(great for steak and mussels)

The Ring of Beara is a great biking route you will enjoy!

Regards

NI Phil:thumb2

squid
01-09-07, 08:57
Updated route - anything else I am missing out or are there some bits I could shorten to give more time to stop and stare?

Schwarz Baron
01-09-07, 11:25
Yes this

Aidan1150
01-09-07, 17:06
As NI Phil has said and as I suggested in a different thread the Beara Peninsula is a nicer run than the Ring of Kerry IMO. The added bonus is that you don't have the feckin buses that pollute the Ring.

Also, when you pass through Glengarriff you will see signs for the Barley Lake. It nestles up in the hills and you ride some great wee Boreens to get up to it. Well worth a spin.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/Aidan1150/ukGSer/barleylake-1.jpg

You can see the lake in the pic top left and the road up to it on the right.

ELIMINATOR
01-09-07, 18:05
Gap of Dunloe, near Killarney. Brilliant scenery, & due to time limits I probably missed the best bits.

Bin Ridin
01-09-07, 19:02
Here's a collection of "Great Irish Roads".
I'd "do" Clare coast if I were you, get to Galway, then head back to Dublin via Loughrea, Portumna, Birr, Kinitty, Mountrath, Baltinglass, Wicklow Gap, Laragh, Annamoe.

Dellis
01-09-07, 19:22
Weighing up up my options for 5-7 days in the South starting 15 Sept.

Camping Solo - Looking for best Scenery, mountains etc / least traffic.

Would arrive via Dublin.

Campsites that are open / hot showers etc?

Ferry looks to be about 80 return - assume this is the going rate.

Try Motorsport Travel (http://http://www.motorsport-travel.com/). They charge 68 bike rider AND pillion Holyhead - Dun Loaghaire return on the fast boat. Even cheaper than Nutt Travel.

Dave

squid
01-09-07, 20:46
Yes this

Tryed to open this but failed message about file version? I have Map source V9.

Just tried to check for update but server not connecting at mo:nenau

squid
01-09-07, 20:48
I'm going to have to check some of the other Ireland threads as not sure what the various rings are?

squid
01-09-07, 20:51
even more confused now, just seen there are two mizen heads:nenau

squid
01-09-07, 21:34
Sorry folks but could do with a little assistance here - never been to the south before so trying to get a grip of whats where and what its called.

Found the Gap of Dunloe - hows best to add this in without cutting anything good out?

Aidan - I can find approx where the lake is but your picture is not showing (on my pc anyway) can you advise?

Couldn't find ref to the rings - sure |I saw a thread somewhere that showed them but can't find it now?

Is the ring of Kerry a loop that goes via waterville?

Is the better one then the outcrop below which goes to Allihies?

Or am I miles off?

I added Mizen head in the route as per previous advice - The one it found was Nr Arklow

I now see another one south of Bantry.

Which is the one with the big cliffs?

Once I have this route sorted I will be happy to share the Garmin file:thumb

Edit - so looks like I had the wrong Mizen head.

squid
01-09-07, 22:01
I think I am getting with it now - is this a better one?

1. I had run the route through the Boggeragh Mts - this new route misses this area - is the Cork coast rd better? Cutting up from Mizen Head thru the Boggeragh Mts to the Galty Mts would be shorter but should I pass through Cork?

2. I have a leg to Brandon Mtn (Dingle) - This is worthwhile I take it. I like to see the mtns? Marked R559 on the map

Dermott
02-09-07, 10:49
Hi Squid,
Just back from holidaying around the dingle peninsula. Take the N86 for dingle out of tralee, but when you come to Camp, keep right onto R560 for conor pass, cloghan and brandon. About 10 miles on, you can take another right to Cloghan, Brandon pier and brandon head. This is well away from the main tourist area that you will get in dingle, Brandon head is a nice viewing point ( whale watching) and Murphys pub at the pier for a crab sandwich. backtrack to cloghan and up over the conor pass into dingle.
Cheers
Dermott

squid
02-09-07, 11:51
Hi Squid,
Just back from holidaying around the dingle peninsula. Take the N86 for dingle out of tralee, but when you come to Camp, keep right onto R560 for conor pass, cloghan and brandon. About 10 miles on, you can take another right to Cloghan, Brandon pier and brandon head. This is well away from the main tourist area that you will get in dingle, Brandon head is a nice viewing point ( whale watching) and Murphys pub at the pier for a crab sandwich. backtrack to cloghan and up over the conor pass into dingle.
Cheers
Dermott

Thanks, added a figure of 8 loop to include the Conor pass:thumb

Schwarz Baron
02-09-07, 15:28
Tryed to open this but failed message about file version? I have Map source V9.

Just tried to check for update but server not connecting at mo:nenau

Ok here's a screenshot instead!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/SchwarzBaron/Killarneycopy.jpg

richie
02-09-07, 15:45
Hi,

My tuppence worth. Miss out the ring of kerry.

Ignoring getting from Dublin to Tralee and from Cork to Dublin. You should try and do Tralee down the north side of Dingle to Castle gregory then up and over the connor pass to Dingle. Then don't forget to ride to the end of dingle to see dunquin and where ryans daughter was filmed. Absolutly fab scenery. The from dingle to just befor kilarney where you can ride through the gap of dunloe and end up over the molls gap to kenmare. Kenmare to Tuoist then on to Ardgroom, Eyries and possibly the most fab road in south west ireland from Eyries to Allihies. (Where I live) Then on to Bantry where you can ride up and down the best side of the healey pass on your way.

Next move onto sheeps head (dunmanus) and get to the end. Back to Durrus and onto mizzen head.

Places to stay along the way. Castlegregory. Kenmare, Allihies, Crookhaven...

Have a great time and BTW forget the ring of kerry.

Jockser
03-09-07, 08:59
Camping places here - http://www.camping-ireland.ie/ and here - http://www.discoverireland.ie/DI/resultsengine/Accommodation.aspx?CategoryID=161&SearchString=&CountyID=879&LocationID=879&LocationName=All+towns&Radius=1000&thisPage=1&PageSize=10

Then have a look at the PDF that Bin Ridin has posted. On the way down you can make a short detout & pick up the Slieve Blooms (Road No. 5) Another detour would bring you to No. 3 & the Burren. While down in the South West you can pick up No.'s 10/13/15 & the Shehy Mountains, Parts 1 & 2. Then on the way home there's The Vee & No.'s 12 & 4.

That & the other suggestions posted should fill your week :thumb2

Aidan1150
03-09-07, 09:28
Aidan - I can find approx where the lake is but your picture is not showing (on my pc anyway) can you advise?

Oops, sorry about that Rob. Should be sorted now. :o

squid
03-09-07, 20:17
Thanks everyone for taking the time and effort to post suggestions,

I'm just sourcing the campsites now and will post the final map once I've checked with the sites etc.

It's looking like a very good trip :bounce1

squid
04-09-07, 19:04
I believe I've added as many of the roads as I can whilst giving enough time to enjoy the views. Much helped by Bin Ridins attachment and Jocksers references to it:thumb

I've booked the ferry using the motorsport people -65 return and idea sailing times. Going Sat 15th Sept to Fri 21st

Doing the route anti-clockwise

richie
04-09-07, 20:02
I believe I've added as many of the roads as I can whilst giving enough time to enjoy the views. Much helped by Bin Ridins attachment and Jocksers references to it:thumb

I've booked the ferry using the motorsport people -65 return and idea sailing times. Going Sat 15th Sept to Fri 21st

Call in for a cup of tea, I am right in the middle of the best bit your doing:D

squid
04-09-07, 20:21
Call in for a cup of tea, I am right in the middle of the best bit your doing:D

Assuming your on the Beara Pen I think that will poss be Tues in the day.

Happy to stop for a brew if you happen to be about:thumb

richie
04-09-07, 20:26
Assuming your on the Beara Pen I think that will poss be Tues in the day.

Happy to stop for a brew if you happen to be about:thumb
I will be here, last/first house in the village. Its has a sign Cluin Dive School, only visible on way "up".... Call in and have a chat.

Aidan1150
04-09-07, 23:34
1. I had run the route through the Boggeragh Mts - this new route misses this area - is the Cork coast rd better? Cutting up from Mizen Head thru the Boggeragh Mts to the Galty Mts would be shorter but should I pass through Cork?

Given that you like the mountains Squid I would be inclined to go with this plan.

Keep an eye out in west Cork on Saturday & Sunday for a bunch of GS's wandering about the place on the PRC run. It would be good to see you somewhere along the way. :thumb2

vireo
05-09-07, 08:48

Hi Squid

I'm not sure if you trying to 'make time' on the Thursday (?) after leaving the Glen of Aherlow, but the Dungarvan to Arklow bit can be improved to some extent by avoiding the main road. I'd recommend turning off the N25 at Lemybrien (sorry, dont have Mapsource, but the co-ords are N 52.16442,W7.52512) heading along the R676 to Carrick-on-Suir. Shortly after joing this road, if you have half and hour to spare, follow the signs to Mahon Falls N52.2222478, W7.54143) where you can ride a loop before rejoining the R676. From Carrick head for Kilmaganny on R697 (you'll pass the triangluar Faugheen road race (http://www.faugheen50roadraces.com/)course off this road just outside Carrick if you want to have a look-see:eek:) and then via Newmarket onto the R701 to Knocktopher. Pick up the N9 the short distance to Thomastown and then leave it on the R700 (you'll have to work around a new one-way system in the town thats not on Ver9 GPS mapping) along the Nore Valley to Inistoige and onwards to near to New Ross, turning left onto the N30 towards Enniscorthy, and continue to Arklow.

I may even be able to meet up for some of this depending on a number of factors - I'll PM a number if you want to give me a call on the Wednesday perhaps.

Above all else, enjoy!
V

squid
05-09-07, 17:28
Hi Squid

I'm not sure if you trying to 'make time' on the Thursday (?) after leaving the Glen of Aherlow, but the Dungarvan to Arklow bit can be improved to some extent by avoiding the main road. I'd recommend turning off the N25 at Lemybrien (sorry, dont have Mapsource, but the co-ords are N 52.16442,W7.52512) heading along the R676 to Carrick-on-Suir. Shortly after joing this road, if you have half and hour to spare, follow the signs to Mahon Falls N52.2222478, W7.54143) where you can ride a loop before rejoining the R676. From Carrick head for Kilmaganny on R697 (you'll pass the triangluar Faugheen road race (http://www.faugheen50roadraces.com/)course off this road just outside Carrick if you want to have a look-see:eek:) and then via Newmarket onto the R701 to Knocktopher. Pick up the N9 the short distance to Thomastown and then leave it on the R700 (you'll have to work around a new one-way system in the town thats not on Ver9 GPS mapping) along the Nore Valley to Inistoige and onwards to near to New Ross, turning left onto the N30 towards Enniscorthy, and continue to Arklow.

I may even be able to meet up for some of this depending on a number of factors - I'll PM a number if you want to give me a call on the Wednesday perhaps.

Above all else, enjoy!
V

I was trying to keep the travel time down - I don't like rushing to get off in the morning, breakfast, shower, pack up etc. Also as the nights are drawing in now I am aiming to be setting the tent up at around 6pm so I can settle in and get the stove on well before dark.

The section was showing around 5.15hrs before any stops so figure real time could be much longer.

I've adapted your route a bit to keep it under 6hrs as below. I assume this is still a better way to go than my previous one:thumb

squid
05-09-07, 17:32
I will be here, last/first house in the village. Its has a sign Cluin Dive School, only visible on way "up".... Call in and have a chat.

I take it thats the village of Allihies, I'll be coming from the North - as long as I am not running late i'll stick my head around the door:thumb

richie
05-09-07, 17:59
I take it thats the village of Allihies, I'll be coming from the North - as long as I am not running late i'll stick my head around the door:thumb
Squid, from Eyries to here is a fantastic piece of road. Stop a mile photography... I am therefore the last house in the village. Right hand side. Looks like a cow shed. Is / Was a cow shed.....

Tea and biscuits. Not a bother, remind me which day. Phone number is

zero eight seven seven four two zero double four three....

vireo
06-09-07, 20:21
I was trying to keep the travel time down -
The section was showing around 5.15hrs before any stops so figure real time could be much longer.

I've adapted your route a bit to keep it under 6hrs as below. I assume this is still a better way to go than my previous one:thumb

Squid

Fair point, the route as you have amended it will be 5.5 hours or so without stops, so it will be half an hour or so longer 'saddle time' than the original section. There are a number of nice photo stops en-route so you'll be a full day at it, I guess. Its worth stopping off at the Vee, between Clogheen and Cappoquin; on the Mahon Falls loop if you take it, and along the Nore at Inistoige, so plan for those, and play it by ear.

If the need arises and you run short of time, you can always take your originally planned route after Dungarvan and miss out on the bit I suggested. You should make good time to New Ross by this main road, just dont be surprised if traffic holds you up in Waterford (it can be grim) and this could mean that the 'main' road ends up being nearly as long as the alternative.

V

squid
07-09-07, 09:50
Squid

Fair point, the route as you have amended it will be 5.5 hours or so without stops, so it will be half an hour or so longer 'saddle time' than the original section. There are a number of nice photo stops en-route so you'll be a full day at it, I guess. Its worth stopping off at the Vee, between Clogheen and Cappoquin; on the Mahon Falls loop if you take it, and along the Nore at Inistoige, so plan for those, and play it by ear.

If the need arises and you run short of time, you can always take your originally planned route after Dungarvan and miss out on the bit I suggested. You should make good time to New Ross by this main road, just dont be surprised if traffic holds you up in Waterford (it can be grim) and this could mean that the 'main' road ends up being nearly as long as the alternative.

V

Pm'd ye:thumb

squid
07-09-07, 09:52
Squid, from Eyries to here is a fantastic piece of road. Stop a mile photography... I am therefore the last house in the village. Right hand side. Looks like a cow shed. Is / Was a cow shed.....

Tea and biscuits. Not a bother, remind me which day. Phone number is

zero eight seven seven four two zero double four three....

Think it was a Tues - Milk, no Sugar:thumb2

richie
12-09-07, 09:29
Think it was a Tues - Milk, no Sugar:thumb2
Hi Squid, no show???? I or someone was in all day. Shame, but no problemo, hope your trip worked out OK

squid
12-09-07, 10:05
Hi Squid, no show???? I or someone was in all day. Shame, but no problemo, hope your trip worked out OK

Sorry Richie, when I said Tue I should have re-stated the date.

I leave of Ireland this Sat so It should be Tues next week:thumb

All packed and ready:bounce1:bounce1

richie
12-09-07, 10:36
OK I should be here... See you then, maybe...

richie
19-09-07, 08:11
Well he made it, through the Gap of Dunloe then on to me for a cuppa tea.

Cheers Squid, the weathers turned now hope you managed to stay dry...

Thinc2
11-03-09, 16:02
Great thread - great resources :thumb

I'm new to the area and starting to consider a 5-6 exploration in July. Hopefully all camping.

This will be a great help in planning.

Thinking about whether to buy a GPS or just go the usual adventurous route and get lost...

Main advantage of the GPS might be finding campgrounds.

Thinc2
12-03-09, 15:44
Wow - just got a quote for the Cork - Roskoff Ferry - euro 693 return trip :eek:

Guess I'll be vacationing in Ireland.

What's the deal with camping - is it in pay campsites only, can you pitch a tent in public areas - say beaches or off country roads?

vireo
12-03-09, 20:50
Wow - just got a quote for the Cork - Roskoff Ferry - euro 693 return trip :eek:

Guess I'll be vacationing in Ireland.

What's the deal with camping - is it in pay campsites only, can you pitch a tent in public areas - say beaches or off country roads?

Thinc2

At that price I presume its for a car and family, in which case, if the camping query is the same, you might be best to stick to 'official' campsites.

I've never had a problem with 'wild' camping either on my own or with my son, but it's probably to stay below the locals/landowners radar (arrive late, pitch up, leave after brekkie etc).........and if its a larger group this might be difficult. Also, it will depend on female sentitivities, perhaps.......?:mmmm

Vireo

nud1e
12-03-09, 21:07
Great thread - great resources :thumb

I'm new to the area and starting to consider a 5-6 exploration in July. Hopefully all camping.

This will be a great help in planning.

Thinking about whether to buy a GPS or just go the usual adventurous route and get lost...

Main advantage of the GPS might be finding campgrounds.

very few fully equipped campsites around, so best to do a search and plan your trip based on the sites. You can throw up a tent in my garden if you're stuck around Limerick.

Buy, acquire a GPS and do some of the Photo Rally, this will take you to places that some of us aged natives didn't know existed.

Spear Ruler
12-03-09, 22:51
Buy, acquire a GPS and do some of the Photo Rally, this will take you to places that some of us aged natives didn't know existed.[/QUOTE]

Absolutly correct. Have done 9 of this years so far and wow the Irish countryside is fantastic and unexpected. i have never had any reason or opportunity to travel these roads before and I can't wait for our next trip.

Also agree that there are very interesting suggestions for holiday trips on this site. That future hols sorted.

Geraldine

GerryC
12-03-09, 23:09
...........do some of the Photo Rally..........

I wouldn't touch that photo rally - run by complete plonkers. Total waste of time and fuel - stay at home.
Shove yer feet into them cozy slippers and light up the old pipe. Cup of horlicks dear? :comfort

Thinc2
13-03-09, 07:51
Thinc2

At that price I presume its for a car and family, in which case, if the camping query is the same, you might be best to stick to 'official' campsites.

I've never had a problem with 'wild' camping either on my own or with my son, but it's probably to stay below the locals/landowners radar (arrive late, pitch up, leave after brekkie etc).........and if its a larger group this might be difficult. Also, it will depend on female sentitivities, perhaps.......?:mmmm

Vireo

This was for one person and a motorcycle from Nutt travel - but probably during peak season - first weeks in July...