Oh Dear.... Too many choices. Whatdasay

Mike Werner

Cloggie amongst Frogs
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I just went to the Ducati shop to get myself a Ducati Hypermotard. I'm planning on trading in my KTM LC4E (no real off-road roads here, so a waste of money, though a nice bike).

I fell in love with the Hypermotard when it was first shown. I sat on it, felt good, though I'm big and the bike is small, it didn't feel strange.

Then the salerep came along, and everything went down hill from there on in. He said the HM is an incredible bike, fast, sleek, light, and mostly savage at high revs.

Since I'm looking for a local bike (long distance is the GS's domain), he said NOT to buy the HM, but go for the Multistrada. Same engine, tamer, but a hell of a lot more comfortable.

He said, you tire real quickly on the HM, while the MS is easy and great for countryside rides.

he has both in stock, and even has a 2nd hand MS with 1400 kilometers on it, so it's not a question of trying to pawn one on me.

So.... what do you think I should do??? The Hypermotard is sexy and beautiful, the Multistrada is just beautiful, but more comfy....

Opinions... please

Try both for a decent test run and convince yourself.

I had a 1,000 cc Multistrada from new in 2004.

It was nippy (to me anyway), nimble and flickable - but

It was bloody uncomfortable after a decent run, although they now have gel seats available.

The mirrors were only good for counting your elbows, although I believe that they have also improved these.

Tank range wasn't good but, as you say, you're looking for a local bike.

I thought it was ugly but its looks do grow on you.

I traded mine in for a GS at the time.

Thanks David. This is a 2007 model, with the 1100 engine, 20 liter tank. I sat on it for 15 minutes while talking to the salesrep, and was far more comfy then the KTM (which is made out of granite with spikes..:mad:)

For sure I'm going to test ride them both, but I know that love says Hypermotard, but brain says Multistrada...

or boy, choices....:confused:

The amount of money I've wasted on cars and bikes using the heart instead of head route:blast

Even bought an HD Night Rod Special ealierr this year and sold it after two months. Loved the bike but useless for poor weather and touring.

I love the Hypermotard and the new Multistrada.

Ah well maybe next year!

Let us know which you decide upon and how you get on with it.

I did had an electrical problem with mine and it took an age to get the right part from Italy. Plenty of wrong parts arrived though!

Since I'm looking for a local bike (long distance is the GS's domain), he said NOT to buy the HM, but go for the Multistrada. Same engine, tamer, but a hell of a lot more comfortable.

He said, you tire real quickly on the HM, while the MS is easy and great for countryside rides.

But what can the Multistrada do that the GS can't? :confused:

The GS is too big and bulky for over here. Very narrow roads, with 179° curves. My GS is setup for long distance, and riding the local roads makes me lose 20 lbs every ride.

The KTM was great, except it's a thumper (the big nobbies didn't help either), and my teeth would rattle out of my skull each ride.

The Duc is small, light and fast.

I just went to the Ducati shop to get myself a Ducati Hypermotard. I'm planning on trading in my KTM LC4E (no real off-road roads here, so a waste of money, though a nice bike).

Where abouts in Normandy are you then ?

The only reason I ask is that Normandy is littered with off road tracks and trails-enough for people such as Chris Evans to run 3 day trips covering about 100 miles off road every day,and such a tour is based slap bang in the middle of the region !!

The Hypermoto, no contest :thumb2

You have a 'sensible' GS for distance/shopping etc. You NEED a loony bike for those lanes.......................

Lucky bugger :thumb

Andres

Where abouts in Normandy are you then ?

The only reason I ask is that Normandy is littered with off road tracks and trails-enough for people such as Chris Evans to run 3 day trips covering about 100 miles off road every day,and such a tour is based slap bang in the middle of the region !!

You got to be joking.... in Upper Normandy, the closet forest trail is close to 100 kms from my house, and it's 10 km long, no worth the effort.

Recently, after a legal case, tractor trails were allowed, but not many farmers know this, I have had one come after me with a shotgun, and shoot !!!!

So where does Chris Evans do his runs,???

the local roads makes me lose 20 lbs every ride.

Could do with some of that sort of therapy over here....:D

Just get another 1150gs and strip it of unnecessary weight, put some alloys on it and road tyres...:thumb

Alot cheaper than your other option...just as much fun.;)

You got to be joking.... in Upper Normandy, the closet forest trail is close to 100 kms from my house, and it's 10 km long, no worth the effort.

Recently, after a legal case, tractor trails were allowed, but not many farmers know this, I have had one come after me with a shotgun, and shoot !!!!

So where does Chris Evans do his runs,???

He sets up camp in the village of Gace which is SE of Caen or SW of Le Havre.

A gang of us are hopefully signing up for his March trip.

See here

Could do with some of that sort of therapy over here....:D

Just get another 1150gs and strip it of unnecessary weight, put some alloys on it and road tyres...:thumb

Alot cheaper than your other option...just as much fun.;)

Actually, I did... had a 2nd GS with far less weight, but still too much work for me to have fun. And not cheaper, more expensive.... the Duc MS is 10K Euro....

He sets up camp in the village of Gace which is SE of Caen or SW of Le Havre.

A gang of us are hopefully signing up for his March trip.

See here

There you go... that's Lower Normandy, and I know where too, it's about 400 kms from where I am. And he'll head south west on those trails.

There's also major court cases going on at moment, to stop all off road riding, and the way things go, the greenies will win.. as usual..

There you go... that's Lower Normandy, and I know where too, it's about 400 kms from where I am. And he'll head south west on those trails.

There's also major court cases going on at moment, to stop all off road riding, and the way things go, the greenies will win.. as usual..

Crikey,didn't realise Normandy was that big !!.

I'm surprised there are court cases trying to stop riding off road.

I know this shit goes on in the UK but I have always found the french much more 'live and let live ' in these matters.

For example,we were riding in a forest in Brittany in March,and to be honest weren't 100% sure if we should be there,though no signs to the contrary.

But we met a few joggers,mountain bikers,horses and riders and everybody just waved and said hello.

The GS is too big and bulky for over here. Very narrow roads, with 179° curves. My GS is setup for long distance, and riding the local roads makes me lose 20 lbs every ride.

The KTM was great, except it's a thumper (the big nobbies didn't help either), and my teeth would rattle out of my skull each ride.

The Duc is small, light and fast.

Have you considered the R1200R? Many say its the best handling bike BMW ever produced, and its a lot lighter than the GS you've got. There are diehard GS fans on ADVrider saying that if they had to do it over again, they'd have bought a 1200R instead. Might be worth a test ride.

I personally shy away from Ducatis. I had a 900SS years ago. Valve adjustments cost a fortune, and the intervals between them is rediculously short (something like every 4000 miles). There's also the matter of those rubber timing belts which need to be replaced every 12K miles. You have to inspect them constantly. I had one break after only 6K miles, and ended up with a set of bent valves as a result. :spitfire

Crikey,didn't realise Normandy was that big !!.

I'm surprised there are court cases trying to stop riding off road.

I know this shit goes on in the UK but I have always found the french much more 'live and let live ' in these matters.

For example,we were riding in a forest in Brittany in March,and to be honest weren't 100% sure if we should be there,though no signs to the contrary.

But we met a few joggers,mountain bikers,horses and riders and everybody just waved and said hello.

'fraid so. Things are going the UK way. Anti-greenlaning laws are being drafted. There are several lobby groups fighting the laws, but the green lobby groups are way to powerful and well organized. The biking groups are scattered and mostly infighting.

People in general accept that bikes can greenlane, and don't have a problem with it. It's those few who rule the world..

Have you considered the R1200R? Many say its the best handling bike BMW ever produced, and its a lot lighter than the GS you've got. There are diehard GS fans on ADVrider saying that if they had to do it over again, they'd have bought a 1200R instead. Might be worth a test ride.

I personally shy away from Ducatis. I had a 900SS years ago. Valve adjustments cost a fortune, and the intervals between them is rediculously short (something like every 4000 miles). There's also the matter of those rubber timing belts which need to be replaced every 12K miles. You have to inspect them constantly. I had one break after only 6K miles, and ended up with a set of bent valves as a result. :spitfire

No, a flat twin is not the ticket, neither is the HP2 which was on the shopping list.

As for Ducs, they have changed a lot over the last 3 years. Minoli made sure that quality was as important as performance and sexiness. The new 1100 engine needs a revision every 12-15K now, the guarantee is a full 1 year on 2nd hand 1100 engines.

And let's not forget the most important reason to do for Ducati...... it' s a DUCATI!!! :aidan

Mike,

I think the Hypedupmotard would drive you mad after the honeymoon period.

I had a go on one and quite liked it.

But the riding position feels very odd,tank range is ridiculous-I've heard of 60 miles to reserve.

With the mirrors folded out you will hit every car you pass in the narrow twisties.

If you want a fun bike,have you thought about the new Triumph Street Triple ?

Or if you want the best handling bike out there which will really put a grin on your face,it has to be the KTM Superduke-I've just taken mine for a blat around Wales and it was amazing.

Mike,

I think the Hypedupmotard would drive you mad after the honeymoon period.

I had a go on one and quite liked it.

But the riding position feels very odd,tank range is ridiculous-I've heard of 60 miles to reserve.

With the mirrors folded out you will hit every car you pass in the narrow twisties.

If you want a fun bike,have you thought about the new Triumph Street Triple ?

Or if you want the best handling bike out there which will really put a grin on your face,it has to be the KTM Superduke-I've just taken mine for a blat around Wales and it was amazing.

That's what the sales rep said. Great performance, but with my size, I'd be quickly tired.

I've thought of the Duke, but the KTM garage is too far for me (in fact I need to trailer in my LC4), but it's still an option. The triple is too much for me to handle, I know I'll kill myself.

I know that my mind is telling me to go for the Strada, but also after test riding the Hyper, I'm going to love it...

I think the test rides, plus my SWMBO plus the sales rep will need to talk me into something more reasonable....

Back
Top Bottom