Bloody Spark Plugs

HORIZONTALLY OPPOSED

Reaction score
Triumph Sprint RS 955I out for run, coming off roundabout on dual carriage way, nailed it oops down too two pots, limped home. Panels off, tank off, airbox off, plugs out centre plug bit sooty, cleaned up, all bits bolted back on, started, an improvement but still a slight miss with attendant pops & bangs on decelleration, holidays etc etc looming, stuff to back of garage. Last Sunday wet n windy play with said bike again, is it in line coil? injectors? an electrical connection? please please God not the management system, everything in bits again, built up again, bollocks still missing. Hopefully cheap starting point, new plugs, none local NGKcr9ek double contact, X3 ordered via mail order, give iridium equivilent NGKcr9eix a try, why not, pull down rebuild...........restart...................result, oooh thats smooth, nice. Old items 1500miles use @ £7.50 apiece Iridiums same price bargain?, suppose £23.00 is a cheap repair nowadays but £7.50 for a spark plug don't know whether to laugh or cry, Champion N7's hell they used to pay you to take them away, must be getting old.

Used to be 4 champion plugs for £1.20 for my Mini :rob

When I bought my Fireblade, I think the plugs were about £13 each as well ... thankfully sold the heap of crock ( two headstocks on a brand new 954 Fireblade within 2,000 miles and the new third had just been 'shimmed up' :eek: )

Good bikes them Triumphs:)..I'll eventually go back to them..but made an executive decision NEVER to buy a new bike again...to much depreciation and hassle etc:(

P.S. You probably ARE getting old :D

Play time

Used to be 4 champion plugs for £1.20 for my Mini :rob

When I bought my Fireblade, I think the plugs were about £13 each as well ... thankfully sold the heap of crock ( two headstocks on a brand new 954 Fireblade within 2,000 miles and the new third had just been 'shimmed up' :eek: )

Good bikes them Triumphs:)..I'll eventually go back to them..but made an executive decision NEVER to buy a new bike again...to much depreciation and hassle etc:(

P.S. You probably ARE getting old :D

Come to think of it I am old damn it, gonna give the Trumpet a road test this evening make myself feel young again for a couple of hours, vroom vroom love the triple's induction roar, thats enough act my age.

My Jota used to eat plugs. It had a sticker under the seat that said "5 star fuel only" unfortunatly nowhere sold 5 star fuel so I had to live with the pinking and plugs that died every 1000 miles......and 1000 miles oil changes and tyres that lasted 2.5k. I'm just starting to remember why I sold it :D

My Jota used to eat plugs. It had a sticker under the seat that said "5 star fuel only" unfortunatly nowhere sold 5 star fuel so I had to live with the pinking and plugs that died every 1000 miles......and 1000 miles oil changes and tyres that lasted 2.5k. I'm just starting to remember why I sold it :D

Re 5 star requirement you can buy octane booster now, just another cost & chore I suppose but offset by the reliability gain & savings on plugs.

Hoping these iridium jobbies will last the million years they advertise in the blurb, to be fair the 955i engine runs on the hot side of hot, therefore the plugs which are also recessed are in a pretty hostile environment, time will tell.

re: 5 star

i had a new le mans in 78 which would pink on anything below 5 star.

i now have a 76 le mans that runs fine on basic unleaded :eek

I had the Jota in the mid 80's. There was octane booster at the time but it cost a fortune and never seemed to do much.

I can still hear the growl on the overrun from those straight through pipes :loveheart

Jota4.jpg

ack!

...and i have a Guzzi Cali 3 that eats right hand side plugs...:mad:

took me 3 ignition systems , new earth points, rewiring the ignition-twice, four coils, many HT leads and plugs to finally work out.....

the feckin thing just eats plugs.:blast
no rhyme nor reason....it just feckin does!:spitfire

:nenau

...and i have a Guzzi Cali 3 that eats right hand side plugs...:mad:

took me 3 ignition systems , new earth points, rewiring the ignition-twice, four coils, many HT leads and plugs to finally work out.....

the feckin thing just eats plugs.:blast
no rhyme nor reason....it just feckin does!:spitfire

:nenau

Do NGK or Nippon Denso manufacture the iridium plugs of a type to fit the Guzzi's, as if you believe the bumph that accompanies them, they should last a millenium at abusive temperatures etc. etc.

Do NGK or Nippon Denso manufacture the iridium plugs of a type to fit the Guzzi's, as if you believe the bumph that accompanies them, they should last a millenium at abusive temperatures etc. etc.

dunno - must be worth looking at though.
must admit, after all the heartache of feckin about with it trying to suss WTF was wrong / fear of breakdown / serious damage etc.:banghead:
..now, its SOoooo nice:) - when she misfires after about 2.5k miles.... i just stick another fresh plug in it...and carry on down the road!

weird behaviour.... but sure its a Guzzi!:thumb - and apart from that, its amazingly reliable:eek::D

dunno - must be worth looking at though.
must admit, after all the heartache of feckin about with it trying to suss WTF was wrong / fear of breakdown / serious damage etc.:banghead:
..now, its SOoooo nice:) - when she misfires after about 2.5k miles.... i just stick another fresh plug in it...and carry on down the road!

weird behaviour.... but sure its a Guzzi!:thumb - and apart from that, its amazingly reliable:eek::D

Always fancied a Le Mon or California, quite like the look of the newer models too, I did have a looksee a few years ago but head overuled heart & bought the GS, certainly not a decision I regret, am still curious though, thing to do before you die, hmm maybe de-Trumpet next year & fill me wellies.

Back
Top Bottom