Aprilia RSV starter motor problem

Bones

Reaction score
Had a problem with a weak battery last week so decided to run it flat (ignition on, engine off, lights on) in the hope that my optimate might 'fix' the battery to last a few more weeks. It didn't work! So in went a new Yausa battery. Instead of the motor bursting into life when the start button pressed I am just getting a loud 'click/pop' noise coming from under the seat hump. A closer look suggest that the click/pop is coming from two sources, a relay behind the 'box of chips/ecu' and a finned 'thing' next to the 'box of chips/ecu' on the right/offside.

Opinions amongst my mates include faulty new battery (but it wont jump start either :confused:), starter motor solenoid and jammed starter motor.

BTW it's a 2001 RSVR.

Any advice gratefully received. Breakdown recovery will be called soon.

Cheers

Hi Bones
I have no idea what is wrong with your bike (sorry) but i am thinking of buying a new rsv factory, what are they like to live with,how fast do they get through tyers.

Hi Bones
I have no idea what is wrong with your bike (sorry) but i am thinking of buying a new rsv factory, what are they like to live with,how fast do they get through tyers.

Hi Buzz, I have owned my RSV from new, six years now, and it still makes me feel like a dog with two dicks when out for a ride. This is the first prolem I have had with the bike, up 'til now it's been 100% reliable.

I get around 4000 miles from Metzeler Sportec M1's. There is a new M3 which I haven't tried yet but should be similar. The M1/M3 is a sport touring tyre with the emphasis on sport. The bike came with Pirelli Super Corsa's which i hated.

BTW, I got an answer to my starter problem from the RSV section of the visordown website.

http://www.visordown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352489

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122989&highlight=starter+relay

Hi Bones

Hi Buzz...

I've got a 55 plate RSV-R which I picked up new from Youles in Blackburn.

It's makes me laugh every time. It's hysterical. It's so much fun it's unbelievable.
The stock pipes make enough nich noises to make me grin from ear to ear without upsetting the locals - although plently of people come and have a natter every time I try to fill up or stop for a rest.

Controls including clutch are nice & easy. Fit & finish not a problem. Twin headlights fantastic.

Only downers - right hand side gets very very hot. Doesn't like very low speeds. Crap steering lock.

Attachments

• DSCF0069.jpg
    DSCF0069.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 2,741
Hi Buzz...

I've got a 55 plate RSV-R which I picked up new from Youles in Blackburn.

It's makes me laugh every time. It's hysterical. It's so much fun it's unbelievable.
The stock pipes make enough nich noises to make me grin from ear to ear without upsetting the locals - although plently of people come and have a natter every time I try to fill up or stop for a rest.

Controls including clutch are nice & easy. Fit & finish not a problem. Twin headlights fantastic.

Only downers - right hand side gets very very hot. Doesn't like very low speeds. Crap steering lock.

Do you think it is wporth paying the extra £1500 to buy the factory over the rsvr?nice bike by the way:thumb

From what I have read the stock (Sachs?) suspension is very good, although I haven't tried it myself. My RSV has Ohlins fork and shock and the ride is sublime. Is it worth the extra 1500? It would cost a lot more than that to buy the Ohlins setup as aftermarket goodies. Try to get a test ride on each of the two versions. Let us know what you think if you get the chance to compare.

Do you think it is wporth paying the extra £1500 to buy the factory over the rsvr?nice bike by the way:thumb

suppose it depends upon how you use the bike.....for me trunding around Cumbria - no.

Do lots of trackdays? Maybe yes...

Well i have orderd the factory today in black and gold,i got it for £8000:thumb2 a lot of bike for the money,i pick it up saturday,it will be different from the old 1200 gs adv.

Lucky bastard! :thumb2

Love the bikes - must blag a test ride sometime.

One of the bike mags had it as the fastest bikes around the Nurbugring (until he tried an 07 R-1)

Al :thumb2

(I want one now...........)

Last edited:
Well i have orderd the factory today in black and gold,i got it for £8000:thumb2 a lot of bike for the money,i pick it up saturday,it will be different from the old 1200 gs adv.

It sure will be different from the BM. I wasn't at all sure I had made the right purchase for my first few rides. Thought I could go out first ride and be a WSB god and instead scared myself. The Super Corsa's that the bike was delivered with did not help as they have no tread on the sides of the tyre (ie dry weather use only) and they took an age to warm up. I went back to square one, started to ride slowly and let the speedbuild until I was confident with the bike. Fitting the Metzelers helped a lot too. Trackdays are a real hoot and are the only place you will get close to findidng out what the bike can do. Now I love the bike and am still amazed at the poke, handling, brakes etc.

Enjoy :thumb

Let us know how you are getting once you and the bike have gelled.

Well i have had the factory for three weeks now i am getting used to the riding position,i seem to be arriving at corners a hell of a lot quicker:eek:,i dont know how long it will be till i start getting a few point on the old licence:mmmm,but i must say all in all i think i have made the right descision in going for the aprilia i spent eight hours on it last sunday and i was smiling all day:) i will keep checking back here every now and again.

Just make sure the new battery isn't faulty and has a good connection( has been known !!). Sounds like the starter solenoid...don't think rectifiers make any noise when they go pop !

They're fine as long as you can fit on them :eek:

I swapped with my mate a couple of weeks ago - he has a Factory and it was fun - for about 20mins! I was relieved to get my old duffer 1150 back :rob

Why are Superbikes getting smaller and smaller?? :nenau

Attachments

• Tour if Italy 07 082.jpg
    Tour if Italy 07 082.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 2,569

Back
Top Bottom