Calling all aussies

bigchris

Reaction score
The brits are invading! Again! :augie

It looks like that me and the missus are emmigrating - gonna be in Melbourne.

Anyone around who we could hook up with?

:beerjug:

G'day Chris,

Melbourne's close to a great number of south-eastern Australia's great riding roads, and if you're bringing or buying a bike I'll be happy to buy you a beer (or a Bundy and coke) in Omeo's Hilltop pub ! (this will mean an overnight ride :blast)

There's plenty of touring, off-road, or simply afternoon rides close to Melbourne, and the BMWMCCVIC (www.bmwmccvic.org.au) has about 900 members, runs a ride most weekends (although a little slowly and over-organised for my liking) , and several multi-day rides throughout the year.

If you're looking at buying a bike, check these sites out :

www.bikesales.com.au
www.bikepoint.com.au (where I have a 1150GS advertised at the moment)

When're you arriving ?

What suburbs in Melbourne are you considering ?

Got any questions I can help you with ?

Phil

There aren't many BM riders here in WA either. Only one dealer (in Perth) and so far I've seen two F800S, one K1200S, One R1200GS and an F650GS. I can't wait until my sea freight arrives with my R1200GS so I can get it registered and get riding.

G'day Chris,

Melbourne's close to a great number of south-eastern Australia's great riding roads, and if you're bringing or buying a bike I'll be happy to buy you a beer (or a Bundy and coke) in Omeo's Hilltop pub ! (this will mean an overnight ride :blast)

There's plenty of touring, off-road, or simply afternoon rides close to Melbourne, and the BMWMCCVIC (www.bmwmccvic.org.au) has about 900 members, runs a ride most weekends (although a little slowly and over-organised for my liking) , and several multi-day rides throughout the year.

If you're looking at buying a bike, check these sites out :

www.bikesales.com.au
www.bikepoint.com.au (where I have a 1150GS advertised at the moment)

When're you arriving ?

What suburbs in Melbourne are you considering ?

Got any questions I can help you with ?

Phil

You're on for the drinks! Arrival is still up in the air, but we're planning for w/c 10th Dec and hoping that we'll be around for xmas. Just waiting on visa's to come back approved. As for where we'll be staying, I have no idea - work is putting us up in accommodation for the first month or so and thereafter we'll have to choose. Ideally I'd like somewhere close-ish to the country so that if I do fancy a blast into the wilderness it doesnt require a half-day commute cross city...

I hear toorak, collingwood and a couple of other districts are the places to go for, but they look a little close to work for me (Queen St, Melbs cbd).

When I get over there Im intending on buying a new bike - looking at a KTM this time. Really fancy spending some hard-earned on a rally replica.

Really fancy the look of the great ocean road too as a little adventure.

Chris,
it might be worth looking at the Eltham - Diamond Creek area, which is to the NE of the city, and commuting by train to Queen st.
Toorak is fine, depending on the depth of your pocket; it's probably Melbourne's priciest suburb. Collingwood is only 2 or 3 kms from the city, so you'd be able to cycle or even walk to work if that's your thing. Although both are quite close to freeways, it's still a bit of a boring ride to get out of the 'burbs to the better riding areas, whereas the first two mentioned are not far from the action. I'd suggest the locals out at Eltham / D.C. would be a little more laid back and "green" than the Toorakites. Collingwood, being an inner city suburb, has more renovated terrace houses full of the sort of people who like that more packed-together living and it's associated cafe lifestyle. When you get here, give me a call 9817 2009 and I'll bring over a Melways (street directory) and try to describe the different areas of Melbourne to you. I'm sure you'll get a reasonable idea of what's what in a couple of weekends lookin' around.

Phil

Come up to Sydney once you're settled and see what the best city in Aust has to offer. Plenty of Gsers up here.:D

Come up to Sydney once you're settled and see what the best city in Aust has to offer. Plenty of Gsers up here.:D

Love to see you when you get here......we may even try to convince you that Sydney is the fairer city (or fairyer depending on where you live).

Looks like you'll be getting lots of free beers around the place. :beerjug:

Matt

PM when you are thinking of coming to Sydney we'll roll out the welcome mat. :hug

Hehe now we're talking! Looks like a party is brewing!

Dont quite know when i'll be able to make it outside of Melbs for the time being - am expecting to get into Oz w/c 10th Dec, and then a mad rush for xmas. Probably looking at the new year?

follow phil

Ditto Phil's response. He knows all..... he should do, he has over 30,000kms on a brand new 1200GS. He rides it fairly well too!!
Finding a good road is the easy part, staying away from the law is a bit trickier.
Having a few beers is also easy but red wine is better.

CU when you get here.

Chris,

All the respondees are wrong, get yourself to Queensland or the NT (home for me). :thumb2

Anything south of the Queensland /NT border is Mexico, especially Melbourne. :augie:D

Good luck with the move!

Bob

Lol got a friend from QLD - lives near to the blue mountains (?). Heard its good for skiing, which just sounds wrong. Skiing in Australia? Yea right...
:augie

Know there are some badass trails to be had tho!

You probably mean the Glasshouse Mountains, the Blue Mountains are west of Sydney. While it can snow in Queensland it's very rare and their is definitely no skiing. But I've been away for six years so perhaps we are now in global cooling. :nenau

However, there is lots of snow a short drive from Melbourne if you're into that. Their use to be off-roads trips in Victoria you could do in the snow. Unless the Greenies have had their way you might still be able to do it. :thumb2

Lol got a friend from QLD - lives near to the blue mountains (?). Heard its good for skiing, which just sounds wrong. Skiing in Australia? Yea right...
:augie

Know there are some badass trails to be had tho!

Go West young man, Its all good over here and theres plenty of GS's and GSA's to keep you company - Pukmeister must live in the wrong spot but when he gets his bike he'll be swamped. Enjoy Melbourne and we might see you in Perth one day!

Fat chance mate, my sea container is stuck in Singapore, by the time it gets to Fremantle and through customs & quarantine inspections it'll be Christmas.:(

:rob

Ah Pukmeister, that's where you've gone...

Enjoy Aus. I've heard many good things about it. if I'm ever in the neighbourhood...

I must have grown up as I'm now on an 1150RT. Oh and a Triumph 955i Daytona as well (Hee, Hee). Enjoy using the Touratech spoiler I sold you. I'm jealous!

:thumb2

Personally I'd rather be in Melbourne but my contract is here near Perth. Not long now until summer though, hopefully I'll have my GS by Xmas day.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom