Gas'd Off

Reaction score
Yamaha adv update for XTZ. Quite groovy :thumb2
Linky linky

Attachments

• 2008_Adventure_Visual_tcm26-208939.jpg
    2008_Adventure_Visual_tcm26-208939.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 950
Very nice, I met 'Rampant Stallion' off this site at the ferry who has a nicely sorted 660, certainly got me thinking:)

My mate ewho got me into GS's and has been on several long over lands tours says the best bike for that type of trip is the old XT600 Tenere with the large tank. This looks very interesting?? GS1100/1150/1200 are just far to heavy for long off road trips....

I like it :thumb2

2008-XT660Z-Tenere-colour-khaki_tcm26-208330.jpg

Good find - that looks really interesting. :thumb2

Funnily enough I had just discounted the XT660 against the DRZs for my next trip on account of not being able to get a bigger tank for it....

Mmmmmm - thats food for thought.

Pluck

Wow - that looks very impressive.

Interesting to see the major manufacturers getting in on this market 'segment'. I wonder what the others will be bringing out.

Apart from it's two up capability that could seriously tempt me away from a GS; cheaper, capable enough on road, more capable off road and more reliable than any GS (not just 1200s :p).

Any idea of price?

Andres

a lot of us have been waiting very patiently....:augie:augie:augie for bmw to pull their bloody finger out and give us the F800GS,this new tenere look,s the business , and you can bet it will be a lot cheaper to buy and run than the F800GS ,when or if it ever makes an appearance :rob this new tenere look,s like the perfect overland bike for solo travelers. also it look,s like honda will be coming up with a new transalp soon . BMW you left it too late .

Looks great:thumb and it may be the kind of bike i'll be on in a few years, trouble is I would think the residuals are going to be poor and the dealer locally has a poor reputation:(

Dry and unencumbered it still weighs in at 183k which means about 187ish wet at a guess, no lightweight really

Shep

Suits me sir...

Yes, a fine looking machine.
As mentioned at 183kgs (dry?) it is no lightweight, but neither is any of its type of machine, not even the KTMs.
Reliability will be good and spares, not too expensive. And plenty of official Yamaha dealers UK-wide.
Wheels sizes will give you a wider tyre choices.

I would have one, and may do soon if no F800GS(A) is available in the near future.
T.

Looks great:thumb and it may be the kind of bike i'll be on in a few years, trouble is I would think the residuals are going to be poor and the dealer locally has a poor reputation:(

Dry and unencumbered it still weighs in at 183k which means about 187ish wet at a guess, no lightweight really

Shep

now a suzuki dealer :augie;)

I'm clearly missing something here :confused:

While I can see the appeal of a lightweight bike and I'm only too pleased to see somebody get one over BMW. The Yam 660 is hardly a machine to get orgasmic over. nice idea but the appeal goes out the window when you're tootling up the road on a spindly little thing like that and trying not to go above it's terminal wobble speed... And no comments from you Y2 about handling. I backed off when I was following you to the Tank ranges - yours developed a tank slapper at 55 MPH that looked pretty scary from where I was sitting :D

Apart from the st-st-stuttering front headlight, that looks really good! Perfect town bike for the longer of leg, perhaps?

And Fil - the bike does look good! I have to confess to being a bit fed up with the weight of my thing at times.... wouldn't mind a change.

Now that is ugly - looks like a couple of kids knocked something up with their old meccano set :eek:

Looks promising, but the KTM 640 Adv is 30Kg lighter and has a bigger tank.

I'm clearly missing something here :confused:

While I can see the appeal of a lightweight bike and I'm only too pleased to see somebody get one over BMW. The Yam 660 is hardly a machine to get orgasmic over. nice idea but the appeal goes out the window when you're tootling up the road on a spindly little thing like that and trying not to go above it's terminal wobble speed... And no comments from you Y2 about handling. I backed off when I was following you to the Tank ranges - yours developed a tank slapper at 55 MPH that looked pretty scary from where I was sitting :D

Depends which way you look at it I spose. Yes, as a road bike - it's absolutely nothing to get exited about. For me personally, I took my 1150 on my last trip, it was reliable but way too heavy and not good enough off-road. I'm looking for a cheapish mid-weight machine that'll deal with the off-road stuff better than the GS, and be easily multiple pick-up-able (if you know what I mean!) without breaking your back / knackering you out / making you worried about another drop the whole time - and it needs to be fairly simple and reliable. KTM's are expensive and reliability/complexity is an issue. Africa Twins are no more. The 800GS doesn't exist yet and there's a good chance BM will screw the opportunity up anyway. DRZ's are the other viable option IMO - but they're not going to be great for the enevitable long stretches on tarmac, and would need sorting out before a decent trip. It would be lovely if this Yammie turned out good - could be just what I'm looking for - I'm going to have a good old gander when they hit the showrooms.

Pluck.

Depends which way you look at it I spose. Yes, as a road bike - it's absolutely nothing to get exited about. For me personally, I took my 1150 on my last trip, it was reliable but way too heavy and not good enough off-road. I'm looking for a cheapish mid-weight machine that'll deal with the off-road stuff better than the GS, and be easily multiple pick-up-able (if you know what I mean!) without breaking your back / knackering you out / making you worried about another drop the whole time - and it needs to be fairly simple and reliable. KTM's are expensive and reliability/complexity is an issue. Africa Twins are no more. The 800GS doesn't exist yet and there's a good chance BM will screw the opportunity up anyway. DRZ's are the other viable option IMO - but they're not going to be great for the enevitable long stretches on tarmac, and would need sorting out before a decent trip. It would be lovely if this Yammie turned out good - could be just what I'm looking for - I'm going to have a good old gander when they hit the showrooms.

Pluck.

I'm with you on that Sarge.
I'll be looking also.:thumb2
Will probably be at NEC show.
Timpo.

Back
Top Bottom