maintenance

(RIP) Jamie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Here's a bit of a silly question.

I've had me 1100GS for about two weeks now. But can anyone tell me if there is a kind regular maintenace routine for it, the sort of thing you do at home, as a bit of preventative work.

All I've really had to do so far is put petrol in and wash it.

The bloke at Rainbow simply added "ride it."

I check all me levels and pads and stuff like that, but it just doesn't seem to need any tweaking or fettling - I'm getting a bit paranoid.

Can it be that reliable that it just needs a good going over at the service?

Tell you what though, it's a bit of a babe, fast as a ******* smooth as shit - must get to grips with the antidive weirdness at slow speeds.

thanks

Jammy:confused:

Sounds like you’ve been used to British Iron in the past.
Just put petrol in the tank, press the go button and scream the nuts off it. :D
One thing though, check your tyre pressures at least once a week, I once got through a pair of tyres in less than 2,000 miles because I was not checking the pressures regularly.

Use the anti dive to go around the Fireplace and Duke riders on the bends, really pisses em off :spl1f: wotdafuk I jus bin passed by a trail bike :tears:tears

I have a 94 GS and one thing to keep an eye on is the oil. Mine uses a little bit of oil. Everyone says that this will stop eventually but with 36,000 miles approaching fast I am beginning to have my doubts.

Other than that and tyres as mentioned get out there and enjoy!

regards

Steve

Don't worry, they need a lot less maintenance than normal bikes.

That said, there are a few things that you need to pay attention to (outside normal servicing)

The boxer's will use a little oil until they are really fully bedded in (say, 24000 to 36000 miles). However, the oil takes a long time to drain fully into the sump, so it's best left on the sidestand for a while to help the oil drain out of the horizontal oilways before putting on the centrstand to check the level.

Be very careful not to over fill the sump. Check the FAQ's on the gsclub website for more info.

The rest is fairly straighforward,
Keep an eye on the brake pads, especially the back.
These bikes will tend to use more rear brake than normal bikes.

Watch the hydraulic (Brake and clutch) levels, and take care to set the ABS sensor gaps (If you have ABS) whenever you disturb a wheel to fit tyres/etc,.

Otherwise, just ride it.

I have only had mine for 3 weeks (600 miles) and love the lack of maintenance.

Enjoy yours. Cos I love mine.

Mike.

Part exed my 1100 for a 1150 at the turn of the year at Rainbow. I believe they sold my bike 2-3 weeks ago. You might have it! If its red and got a black plastic protector on the end of the beak, that the one. Great bike, almost kept it!

Part exed my 1100 for a 1150 at the turn of the year at Rainbow. I believe they sold my bike 2-3 weeks ago. You might have it! If its red and got a black plastic protector on the end of the beak, that the one. Great bike, almost kept it!

MIKE R

Back
Top Bottom