PDA

View Full Version : The Emerald Tour

judge
08-07-02, 16:20
Going to be returning to Ireland this year (August) REEEEEESULT!!! . Me on my 100GS and a mate on something far more mile-munching tourer and Japanese. In 10 days we will be taking in West Cork, Kerry, Clare, Galway and Wicklow.

NoW obvioulsy there are many, many more nice bits than we are going to be able to see but Wicklow is largely unknown to me and am seeking a bit of local info. What's unmissable and do-able down there?

A bit more info we ride down from Athenry and our accomodation is in Avoca (bit of a long drag I know) but it means we only have to get to Rosslare on the second night ready for our ferry home in the morning.

Any info welcome - bring on the craic!

Slainte!
:beer: :beer: :beer:

Banjaxed
09-07-02, 08:38
'Jardin d'Angleterre' indeed!
For info try http://www.local.ie/
To be honest, you can't go wrong anywhere on the West Coast. I don't know West Cork at all - try 'Macarthy's Bar' by Pete Macarthy for local flavour - I nearly had a hernia reading it. Kerry is good and although it's touristy, the Lakes of Killarney are magnificant on a sunny day (good luck!). Best that way however, is a trip over the Slieve Mish mountains into the Dingle peninsula. Pay attention on that road!
:)
From Kerry scoot up through Listowel and take the ferry across to Clare at Tarbert - saves a long trip up to Limerick to cross the Shannon. Once in Clare, several of the seaside towns are good. If you're feeling brave (or daft), head for Kilkee and swim in the natural swimming pools that have formed in the rocky shore (fer chrissakes, pack a wetsuit!). On through Doonbeg and Lahinch to the Cliffs of Moher - 600 feet straight down into the sea! Only place I know where the rain falls UP!
On to Galway (too much to see) and if you get a chance, swing through Sligo and Yeats' country - magnificent. From there, shoot down towards Dublin and into Wicklow. Although Dublin traffic can be bad, once you're through that a trip over the Sally Gap on a GS would be fantastic. Through to the touristy (but spectacular) Glendalough, then race like mad for the ferry ...
There are lots of good books and websites on Ireland, but to be honest, although Wicklow is pretty, you'd be better sticking to the West - less traffic and truly magnificent scenery.
Two things to remember - bring completely waterproof gear and ... have fun!
Slainte!

judge
09-07-02, 08:53
Originally posted by Paulf
'Jardin d'Angleterre' indeed!
For info try [B]http://www.local.ie/
To be honest, you can't go wrong anywhere on the West Coast. I don't know West Cork at all - try 'Macarthy's Bar' by Pete Macarthy for local flavour - I nearly had a hernia reading it.

Thanks Paul, I did read McCarthy's Bar a good read indeed but I found him a bit cagey with some of his info so I was left a bit disappointed. Now Round Ieland with a fridge by Tony Hawks, now that had me wetting myself at nearly every turn of a page!!!

Maybe I should pick up McCarthy's Bar and have another look, hmmm....