Paralever driveshaft

Paradiso

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, it appears that the driveshaft on my 1990 R100GS is on the way out. It clunks when rotated on the centre stand, though only when rotated in the direction of drive. Vibrations do seem to be coming from inside the swingarm. Bike has done around 60 000. I've been looking for a replacement. Motorworks has new ones listed around £350. I've also seen these reconditioning services listed below.

http://www.bmwboxersupplies.com/product_info.php/cPath/4/products_id/140

http://www.motoren-israel.com/product_info.php?info=p80_Paralever-driveshaft--reconditioning-.html

I'll probably go for a new one so I can swop it straight away. Has anyone got one from a different source or any info on others who could recondition one?
Regards
Simon

If you want your existing unit reconditioned I've heard only good things from this man:

1. Erich Demant in Germany advertises u-joint repair, along with a warranty.

Erich Demant
Johann Sebastian Bach Strasse 22
D-74193 Schwaigern (Massenbach)
Germany
phone: +49 7138 4168

Last edited:
my newly devised test for ujoint

1: Put your GS on the stand with the rear wheel off the floor

2: with trans in neutral, rock rear wheel forward & backward

3: if you got a "clunk," push fingers against the rubber boot between the swingarm and transmission. Find a "bump" and hold it through the rubber between your thumb and forefinger. Gently rock the wheel forward & backward. If you get a clunk while holding this bump still, it's likely the ujoint, and the one by the transmission.

Tom

If you want your existing unit reconditioned I've heard only good things from this man:

1. Erich Demant in Germany advertises u-joint repair, along with a warranty.

Erich Demant
Johann Sebastian Bach Strasse 22
D-74193 Schwaigern (Massenbach)
Germany
phone: +49 7138 4168

how much does he charge for a doing it

Drive shaft UJ

I put a few cc's of light oil inside the driveshaft casing and change the rubber boots now and again and it seems to have kept the UJ's lubed. A bit weeps out of the swinging arm pivot when heavily loaded and after a long day but not enough to cause problems. No play in the driveshaft after 70K miles.

Not suggesting anybody else follows my example but it seems to have worked for me.

Mick

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a new one from Motorworks. Very pricey at £350. BMW clearly know we need to keep replacing them. I suppose I can get the old one reconditioned when I get the chance.
I removed driveshaft this afternoon after work. While there is a small amount of play on both joints, I'm finding it hard to believe that this could account for the clunking I was getting from the rear wheel. I can turn the gearbox output flange by hand in neutral (just), but there is a definite notchiness. Should this be free and easy to rotate? Should I be suspecting the gearbox output shaft bearing? The gearbox on there is clearly a recon one-it's still quite clean and shiney, though I know this counts for little.
Regards
Simon

This sounds familiar.

I just replaced my driveshaft with a new one from Motorworks - then got increasing vibration and a rumble towards the end of a 300 mile run that included around 30 miles of 'off-road'.

I'm afraid it sounds like the gearbox output bearing.

There was a bit of play in the front UJ on the old driveshaft, enough for me to hear a 'clunk' when twisted hard by hand. It seems that wasn't the full story.

My '89 100GS has done 50,700 miles.

I'll be stripping my gearbox shortly !

Bob.

If anyone in the South is interested, I've got an R100GS drive shaft with knackered bearings with a new set of bearings ready to be fitted. They're no good to me and I don't want anything ££ for them. Call me 01424721889 (Hastings) to arrange collection.

Phase

My 1993 GSPD has taken me to school on this issue.

About 20 months ago, preparing to ride to Alaska and Prudhoe Bay, I swapped the driveshaft with one that had fresh u-joints. I pulled the still seemingly good driveshaft out of bike when I installed the rebuilt unit. The bearings on the old shaft's u-joint felt nice and tight.

I made it through the last two summers without problems on the rebuilt shaft.

A few weeks ago, the bike had that "clunk," and I pulled the driveshaft out. The front u-joint had shed it's bearings. :blast

I inspected my old driveshaft and the one I had just taken out of the bike. I put them each in a vise and checked to see if the the front and rear u-joints were "in phase," meaning that the u-joint's "U's" that are fastened to the shaft body/rubber damper assembly, are parallel. I put small straight-edged rulers on these pieces and a visual inspection showed BOTH shafts has their u-joints about 7 degrees out of phase.

U-joints, unlike CONSTANT VELOCITY joints, which have their input & output sides running at a constant velocity with each other regardless of angle (thus the name), have small accelerations/deaccelerations that increase with the angle of the bend. Unlike the u-joints you find on rear wheel drive cars, the Airhead Paralever u-joints run at a rather extreme angle, thus greater accelerations/deaccelerations.

Having the u-joints in phase, or in alignment, minimizes the affects of these accelerations/deaccelerations. Likewise, an out-of-phase shaft has the u-joints fighting each other, and beating that poor damper like a red-headed stepchild.

The natural rubber damper breaks down from the added stress and the shaft twists even more, pulling it more out of phase, which adds more of the hammering stress, which then pulls it even more out of phase...a cascade effect, mind you.

I am of the belief that simply replacing the u-joint bearings and not addressing the phase issue is throwing money after bad. :rob

OPTIONS:

NEW DRIVESHAFT--expensive, but will give you a servicable shaft for, what, 20,000 to 40,000 miles? At this point, a chain drive begins to sound real good.

SOLID SHAFT--but if the BMW bean counters at the time were willing to risk catastrophic transmission failure by leaving out a $.85 circlip, why use the expensive rubber-dampened driveshaft assembly if a simple piece of metal rod would work as a drive shaft? That rubber damper has a purpose, perhaps to protect the final drive or transmission. Heck, my Honda 90 has a rubber "cush hub" between the rear sprocket and the hub. We're dealing with about 10 times the power with the Airhead driveline from my 90. I am skeptical of the long range utility of this solution. Anybody have any real data or experience on this? :confused:

REPLACE THE DAMPER--this is the solution I am pursuing. Guy Henderson (209-962-7500 guy@hendersenprecision.com) pulls out the worn natural rubber piece and replaces it with one made of urethane rubber of the same durometer, which, according to Guy, should stay in phase about 3 times longer than the stock, perhaps 90,000 miles? Cost, currently, is $175 US.

SIGH: BMW= Bring My Wallet :(

If anyone in the South is interested, I've got an R100GS drive shaft with knackered bearings with a new set of bearings ready to be fitted. They're no good to me and I don't want anything ££ for them. Call me 01424721889 (Hastings) to arrange collection.

Shaft now gone to a new home.

Robin, read the post above. The shaft I've sent you went 27000 miles on the original bearings and 16000 on the replacements. It could be worth checking the alignment as above.

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the heads up.

At this moment in time Interlink have actually lost the parcel...........and they don't seem very bothered about finding it...........

I shall look forward to eventully receiving it, not paying them, and then having a chat with that nice German chap who re-builds shafts about all of the above points.

Thanks again

Rob

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the heads up.

At this moment in time Interlink have actually lost the parcel...........and they don't seem very bothered about finding it...........

I shall look forward to eventully receiving it, not paying them, and then having a chat with that nice German chap who re-builds shafts about all of the above points.

Thanks again

Rob

I must say, the blokes that picked it up weren't the brightest or sharpest knife in the box. They said they'd stick a label on it and walked away. Trouble is (I think) I didn't have your address so I couldn't and didn't write anything on the Jiffy bag.
I do hope it turns up.

...then having a chat with that nice German chap who re-builds shafts about all of the above points.

That nice German chap also makes a solid shaft that he says should be used by anyone doing serious off-road. Held one in my hot little hand and they are nice, but ended up having him do the circlip and nipple mod. The UJ's he uses are also slightly larger.

John

Back
Top Bottom