RAF Museum Hendon

Twotter

Reaction score
Noddy and I popped into the RAF Museum at Hendon following a spot of brekkie at the Ace Cafe the other Sunday. I haven't been since I was a kid and it was pretty much on the way back home, and it's free to get in so we thought we'd have a look :)

Here's a few pics...

Spitfire

acesep2007001wni9.jpg

Hurricane

acesep2007046wpo3.jpg

Boulton-Paul Defiant

acesep2007003wbx9.jpg

Messerschmitt Bf109

acesep2007047wjn3.jpg

Messerschmitt Bf110

acesep2007044wbh3.jpg

Junkers 88

acesep2007045wij4.jpg

Heinkel 111

acesep2007002wmp5.jpg

Junkers 87 Stuka

acesep2007043wxl3.jpg

Supermarine Stranraer

acesep2007036wbl2.jpg

Airspeed Oxford

acesep2007026wsj4.jpg

Westland Lysander

acesep2007042wwi5.jpg

Shorts Sunderland

acesep2007041wzn0.jpg

I used to go all the time as a kid. Went back recently with my eight year old son - bought back loads of great memories. If you get the chance try and visit Duxford just off the M11. It is part of the Imperial War Museum and is fantastic.

Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress

b17sideiq2.jpg

Closer view of the B-17 nose

b17nosetf2.jpg

Avro Lancaster BI R5868 "S-Sugar"

She flew 137 operations, originally as "Q-Queenie" with 83 Squadron RAF from RAF Scampton and then as "S-Sugar" with 463 and 467 RAAF Squadrons from RAF Waddington.

lanc1zl8.jpg

Closer view of S-Sugar's nose art

lancnosenb7.jpg

This display is dedicated to the men of Stalag Luft III who were murdered by the Germans in the 'Great Escape' immortalized in film.

acesep2007030wwo5.jpg

To any ex-ATC cadets out there this was probably the first aircraft you ever flew in...I still remember the pre-flight film with the famous line 'jump, jump, John' :D

For normal people this is the DeHavilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk

acesep2007037wse2.jpg

Westland Whirlwind

acesep2007035wyu1.jpg

A Ferret armoured car for the car enthusiasts :augie

acesep2007039wdv7.jpg

Hawker Hunter

acesep2007038wac2.jpg

Still a few more pics to come but Imageshack is playing up :rolleyes: so I'll finish off tomorrow :)

If you get the chance try and visit Duxford just off the M11. It is part of the Imperial War Museum and is fantastic.

Know it well. In my last job we would sometimes base our aircraft at Duxford for test flying etc... which meant free entry onto the airfield :D Best of all was working out of ARCO and having to walk through a hangar with a couple of Spitfires in various states of undress :thumb2

I went for a normal tourist visit not long ago, just before the new hangar was officially opened but you could have a look inside. How old did I feel when I saw that there were more than a few aircraft in a museum that were operational front line types when I was in the mob :eek:

Great place for a visit :clap

Saw the title of your pics and had to have a look - great shots!

When you were at Hendon did you see the full size hurricane mock up outside in the car park (next to the spitfire with invasion markings) ? Its a copy of the one my Dad flew when based at Manston, Kent in 1941. He was in 174 squadron "Mauritius Squadron" and I have some great photos of him in it. So next time you are passing think of Johnny Brooks DFC DFM and have a drink for him!!

Cheers! :beerjug:

I must go back to Hendon sometime soon. It probably hasn't changed that much, but they do have a fine collection of aircraft. :thumb2

Took my father-in-law ...

... there a few years ago. Right in the back we found a control panel from an experimental radar unit which he had worked on during WWII. Brought back a few memories for him :rob

When you were at Hendon did you see the full size hurricane mock up outside in the car park (next to the spitfire with invasion markings) ? Its a copy of the one my Dad flew when based at Manston, Kent in 1941. He was in 174 squadron "Mauritius Squadron" and I have some great photos of him in it. So next time you are passing think of Johnny Brooks DFC DFM and have a drink for him!!

Wow !!!

I confess that seeing it was a mock up I didn't give it any more than a passing glance but next time I'll make time to take a closer look.

Respect to your Dad :bow

I work almost next door to the RAF museum, and have been known to spend a lunch hour there:augie And next time I am passing I will think of Johnny Brooks DFC DFM and raise a glass for you HPL:thumb2

dad 174 sq.jpg

Hi there

Have tried to attach a copy of a photo of Johnny Brooks in his hurricane - as seen outside the RAF museum. Am computer nerd so if its doesn't work first time will keep trying :type
Thanks for your comments chaps and nice to know my Dad is still going to be remembered - he would appreciate it!! :)

Eugenie

View attachment 73170

Hi there

Have tried to attach a copy of a photo of Johnny Brooks in his hurricane - as seen outside the RAF museum. Am computer nerd so if its doesn't work first time will keep trying :type
Thanks for your comments chaps and nice to know my Dad is still going to be remembered - he would appreciate it!! :)

Eugenie

What a cracking picture! :thumb2

And hats off to your Dad and all of his generation. :bow:bow:bow

More pics

I'm on a roll now that I managed to download a photo onto the website - little things and all that ! :bounce1
Anyway here are some more for your amusement and delight..

dad1.jpg

dad after Dieppe.jpg

The one with him standing is after Dieppe where he won the DFM and the other is him giving it large next to his hurricane "somewhere in England"...

Enjoy!

In the first pic of him leaning all casual like on his propeller (!) he was 18 and Dieppe was '42 so he was a much older and wiser 21 year old.....
He passed away about 13 years ago now and I had his ashes interred at the RAF memorial at Egham , Surrey. Its a beautiful memorial run by the Commonwealth War Graves Commision and lists the names of thousands of RAF boys and girls who have no known grave. His best mate was Arthur Lewis whose name is on panel 61 - got blown up next to him at Dieppe - Dad had to clear out his locker, write to his girlfriend etc etc. He said after that he never got to know any of the new lads as they weren't around long enough - sobering really. Thought he would like to be up there with all his mates again .....
607 squadron.jpg
Dad is bottom left, sitting down.
All his fault I ended up loving motorcycles as well - his love of speed and things mechanical rubbed off onto me - so blame him!!! :angel

View attachment 73172

The one with him standing is after Dieppe where he won the DFM and the other is him giving it large next to his hurricane "somewhere in England"...

Enjoy![/QUOTE]

What a top bloke and, may I say, top hair! :thumb2

Ahem....bit of grit in the eye there.

Brilliant pics and thank you very much for sharing :thumb2

Does the museum have any of these pics to link up with the display aircraft ???

Back
Top Bottom