Aldershot range - Can I use it?

(RIP) MOTÖRHEAD

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know you can use Salisbury Plain because I joined one of the groups that went out to play at the Hog Raost, but how do I find out about my local bit of MOD land?

Just up the road from me looks ripe for a bit of exploration on two wheels.
It's located between Farnham & Aldershot and believe that the public do walk dogs, walk & cycle on parts of it.

So how does one go about seeing if you can go on MOD/range land (when the red flags aren't flying).

Is there anyone else from this neck of the woods who's had a play around this area?

It's not as massive as Salisbury but it's crying out to me for a go.

Attachments

• Range.jpg
    Range.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 544
Since the para's moved out I don't know anymore who runs about down there, if it's part of long moor arena then perhaps you can have access there's an offroad cycle club that has a meets down there.

have heard motor bikes in the woods but more towards fleet, yateley end where the engineers are based have never seen any in the main bit.

Organised events only, in the past they have been very, very strict with unauthorised off roaders.

Shep

Cheers for the replies, guys.

So general consensus is, it's not looking good.

I suppose the only way of really finding out is to see if I can find some sort of range warden for a definite answer.

I'll take the mountain bike for a pedal around, early tomorrow morning and see what it's like and if there are any notices up.

Check out the area better ->
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=51.24514,-0.80463314&z=14&t=h&hl=en

Take your pick and just go for it Ben :thumb
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=ww2+helmet

and dont forget the pictures

Now I have both fog lights in operation again, It's time to ditch something else off the 'Beast Of Burden™' :thumb

I really don't think it's worth going on MOD land when your not allowed.
I'll just have to get back to marking down the routes that clive posted on the 144 map. Still in the local area but not right on my door step.

This is where Hungry Hill is (I think I've got that right. Access is off the road from Aldershot to Tweeseldown.

Attachments

• hungry-hill.jpg
    hungry-hill.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 418
Aldershot / Hungry Hill / Farnham Area Off Road

I guess I better hunt down my local TRF.

Cheers anyway.

Hi Motorhead, from the thread sounds like you're living pretty closeby. I'm up for a recce in the area if you fancy meeting up? Have you tried the route across Frensham Common??

Hi Motorhead, from the thread sounds like you're living pretty closeby. I'm up for a recce in the area if you fancy meeting up? Have you tried the route across Frensham Common??

Sounds like a plan.
I'm in Farnham and know the local area by tarmac but have never been off road round Frensham.
The next time my 'kitchen pass' is stamped for is next Wednesday. If you fancy a brew and a chat, I'll be down at the Alton station Cafe meet.

I'd be good to formulate a plan for having a go at the local green lanes.

If it is anything like Ash and Pirbright areas, then it'll be walkers only. Find one of the main entrances - there will probably be signed details of access and local "bylaws" etc

i used to live in Aldershot about 10 yrs ago and i can assure you back then they were not happy if they caught you off road on their land - the military police that is.

I got caught in the tank training area and got a massive bollocking.

we use to climb about on the trainazium round the back from the officers mess, basically loads of scaffolding about 10 m high with cargo nets and scaffold boards.:thumb

Bloody good fun

If it is anything like Ash and Pirbright areas, then it'll be walkers only. Find one of the main entrances - there will probably be signed details of access and local "bylaws" etc

Yup, checked it out this morning. Went up there at 7 this morning for an hour & a half blat on the mountain bike. Big sign, as you said, at the entrance where I went in with loads of rules & regs. Also found a sign that simply said 'Motorcycles Prohibited'.

So that's that then.

Shame really as it had some bloody nice sections and a varied selection of surfaces from gravel, light shingle, sand and then to large fist sized stones.
Lots of hill sections, mud sections, grass sections and....well, it was all there.

Sounds like a plan.
I'm in Farnham and know the local area by tarmac but have never been off road round Frensham.
The next time my 'kitchen pass' is stamped for is next Wednesday. If you fancy a brew and a chat, I'll be down at the Alton station Cafe meet.

I'd be good to formulate a plan for having a go at the local green lanes.

OK Motorhead, see you at the cafe - will be on a black GS12;-)

Back
Top Bottom