PDA

View Full Version : Aldershot range - Can I use it?

(RIP) MOTÖRHEAD
21-09-07, 12:37
I know you can use Salisbury Plain because I joined one of the groups that went out to play at the Hog Raost, but how do I find out about my local bit of MOD land?

Just up the road from me looks ripe for a bit of exploration on two wheels.
It's located between Farnham & Aldershot and believe that the public do walk dogs, walk & cycle on parts of it.

So how does one go about seeing if you can go on MOD/range land (when the red flags aren't flying).

Is there anyone else from this neck of the woods who's had a play around this area?

It's not as massive as Salisbury but it's crying out to me for a go.

MasterDabber
21-09-07, 12:47
Is there anyone else from this neck of the woods who's had a play around this area?

Yes, but only when riding in a trial. This was in the area down near Aldershot known as Hungry Hill. As far as I know you can't just ride there.

Lo-IQ
21-09-07, 12:51
Since the para's moved out I don't know anymore who runs about down there, if it's part of long moor arena then perhaps you can have access there's an offroad cycle club that has a meets down there.

have heard motor bikes in the woods but more towards fleet, yateley end where the engineers are based have never seen any in the main bit.

Shep
21-09-07, 13:03
Organised events only, in the past they have been very, very strict with unauthorised off roaders.

Shep

(RIP) MOTÖRHEAD
21-09-07, 13:10
Cheers for the replies, guys.

So general consensus is, it's not looking good.

I suppose the only way of really finding out is to see if I can find some sort of range warden for a definite answer.

I'll take the mountain bike for a pedal around, early tomorrow morning and see what it's like and if there are any notices up.

Check out the area better ->
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=51.24514,-0.80463314&z=14&t=h&hl=en

gypsy
21-09-07, 13:47
Take your pick and just go for it Ben :thumb
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=ww2+helmet

and dont forget the pictures

(RIP) MOTÖRHEAD
21-09-07, 13:55
Take your pick and just go for it Ben :thumb
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=ww2+helmet

and dont forget the pictures

Now I have both fog lights in operation again, It's time to ditch something else off the 'Beast Of Burden™' :thumb

I really don't think it's worth going on MOD land when your not allowed.
I'll just have to get back to marking down the routes that clive posted on the 144 map. Still in the local area but not right on my door step.

MasterDabber
21-09-07, 14:11
This is where Hungry Hill is (I think I've got that right. Access is off the road from Aldershot to Tweeseldown.

(RIP) MOTÖRHEAD
21-09-07, 14:19
This is where Hungry Hill is (I think I've got that right. Access is off the road from Aldershot to Tweeseldown.

Are you ofey with any legal local civilian green lanes around this area?

MasterDabber
21-09-07, 14:31
Are you ofey with any legal local civilian green lanes around this area?

Sorry, no I can't help you there.

(RIP) MOTÖRHEAD
21-09-07, 14:35
Sorry, no I can't help you there.

I guess I better hunt down my local TRF.

Cheers anyway.

gypsy
21-09-07, 14:55

Cheers anyway.
Just ask Lumpy he's a feckin know all :D

pinkytiff
21-09-07, 14:56

Cheers anyway.

Hi Motorhead, from the thread sounds like you're living pretty closeby. I'm up for a recce in the area if you fancy meeting up? Have you tried the route across Frensham Common??

(RIP) MOTÖRHEAD
21-09-07, 15:05
Hi Motorhead, from the thread sounds like you're living pretty closeby. I'm up for a recce in the area if you fancy meeting up? Have you tried the route across Frensham Common??

Sounds like a plan.
I'm in Farnham and know the local area by tarmac but have never been off road round Frensham.
The next time my 'kitchen pass' is stamped for is next Wednesday. If you fancy a brew and a chat, I'll be down at the Alton station Cafe meet.

I'd be good to formulate a plan for having a go at the local green lanes.

Clive
21-09-07, 16:22
If it is anything like Ash and Pirbright areas, then it'll be walkers only. Find one of the main entrances - there will probably be signed details of access and local "bylaws" etc

Clive
21-09-07, 16:36
have never been off road round Frensham.
I can't see much on Explorer 145 map but take a look at http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/
around SU912514 (south of Wyke) - looks like a few lanes there.

Kaister
21-09-07, 17:46
i used to live in Aldershot about 10 yrs ago and i can assure you back then they were not happy if they caught you off road on their land - the military police that is.

I got caught in the tank training area and got a massive bollocking.

Lo-IQ
21-09-07, 17:49
we use to climb about on the trainazium round the back from the officers mess, basically loads of scaffolding about 10 m high with cargo nets and scaffold boards.:thumb

Bloody good fun

(RIP) MOTÖRHEAD
22-09-07, 09:53
If it is anything like Ash and Pirbright areas, then it'll be walkers only. Find one of the main entrances - there will probably be signed details of access and local "bylaws" etc

Yup, checked it out this morning. Went up there at 7 this morning for an hour & a half blat on the mountain bike. Big sign, as you said, at the entrance where I went in with loads of rules & regs. Also found a sign that simply said 'Motorcycles Prohibited'.

So that's that then.

Shame really as it had some bloody nice sections and a varied selection of surfaces from gravel, light shingle, sand and then to large fist sized stones.
Lots of hill sections, mud sections, grass sections and....well, it was all there.

pinkytiff
25-09-07, 12:25
Sounds like a plan.
I'm in Farnham and know the local area by tarmac but have never been off road round Frensham.
The next time my 'kitchen pass' is stamped for is next Wednesday. If you fancy a brew and a chat, I'll be down at the Alton station Cafe meet.

I'd be good to formulate a plan for having a go at the local green lanes.

OK Motorhead, see you at the cafe - will be on a black GS12;-)

(RIP) MOTÖRHEAD
25-09-07, 12:36
OK Motorhead, see you at the cafe - will be on a black GS12;-)

pinkytiff,
Sorry to wreck a good plan for Wednesday buy I'll have to take a rain check this week.
Got a tight deadline on an animation project and'll be working late tonight & tomorrow.
Bloody typical:blast

I'm usually down at Alton on Wednesdays, so will be down there next week.

Jezza
25-09-07, 16:40
I sometimes ride the North Hants Motor Club events they do bike trials at Hungry hill and the surrounding areas, as they do a trail bike class you could quite legitimatley get a day entry and ride around a quite large area.

Any other time is a big no-no.

pinkytiff
26-09-07, 13:06
pinkytiff,
Sorry to wreck a good plan for Wednesday buy I'll have to take a rain check this week.
Got a tight deadline on an animation project and'll be working late tonight & tomorrow.
Bloody typical:blast

I'm usually down at Alton on Wednesdays, so will be down there next week.

OK no probs, either see you down there another week or pm me if you have some time over the wknds, I can normally escape for a few hours at least!

(RIP) MOTÖRHEAD
26-09-07, 13:16
OK no probs, either see you down there another week or pm me if you have some time over the wknds, I can normally escape for a few hours at least!

Will do fella.

If nothing else, we can go over the lanes that Clive has already
covered on the 144 map (http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102963)

I've got the map and a list of the grid refs - just need to sit down & mark them out.

Got away from work at 11 last night & it'll be the same tonight :eek

David Lee
26-09-07, 13:22
Took the GS over there on Sunday morning to get a bit of practice for the offroad skills 1 course coming up this weekend and had a great time. Snuck in between a couple of steel posts and went around the tarmac course and the 'High speed test track' plus quite a few of the gravel paths. Luckily no problems with Her Majesty's Armed Forces. It's a brilliant location but I won't be going again in view of the posts above.

mike wright
26-09-07, 17:23
Your a brave man we used to use that area for live firing and operations. :mcgun

geek
29-09-07, 18:09
this area is v v close to where i live, i am in that photo somewhere. there is tons of mod land around here, is it all closed off to bikes? is there anywhere at all in the farnham / aldershot area one can slightly off road a bit?

(RIP) MOTÖRHEAD
29-09-07, 19:06
this area is v v close to where i live, i am in that photo somewhere. there is tons of mod land around here, is it all closed off to bikes? is there anywhere at all in the farnham / aldershot area one can slightly off road a bit?

Not sure about Farnham / Aldershot
But Farnham/Alton and over to Basingstoke there is.

See Clive's 144 map thread in this section of the forum.